Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 10-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

It does seem to eliminate or minimize the long wire runs to the back of the car. Rather than running individual wires all the way back, you run the one CAN cable/bundle to the rear powercell, then everything in the rear is driven by the rear powercell. Granted, with some careful planning, you can run one bundle to the back through conventional means....
Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Friggin buzz kill Weld..........
Mario -- I'll let you know how it works in the Bubbletop re-creation car.

Now there's a project that's just made for this type of system..... It'll be out of this world man....
Old 10-06-2011, 01:16 AM

ISIS is where it's at if your looking for simplicity, security, safety, expandability, programability, modern-ity, all at double the cost of an AAW kit as someone mentioned. My guess to the reason why it hasn't gotten huge is the fact it's more costly and it takes some thinking to wrap your head around it, as someone else said. There are a lot of guys running it that love it. To me it's more simple to wire, simple to diagnose problems, has added security in the key fob option and disabling the system as well as security codes necessary to start the vehicle if you use inTouch; safety because there are no 12 volt wires run to the dash if you set it up right; the expandability and programability allow you conveniences of a modern electrical system. It would take a lot of add-ons and many relays to get what ISIS has out of the box. The capability's of the system are limitless. I have yet to install mine but I have it all planned out, every input I need, every output, where it will go, what it powers, how I want it to function based on each particular input. It takes planning, which when buying an AAW harness made for a '69 Camaro takes none to install (guessing). That said, I think it's money and brain power (the need to use it to understand the system and plan it out, not a lack-of by anyone). Just my.02.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 AM

Though I like the system let's not forget the other down side. At rtth there was one car owner who had an Isis box die just before the event. You can't bypass the box nor can you pick one up locally, so there is the issue of when there is a (rare) failure, you're down.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Supporting Vendor

RecoveryRoomInteriors.com

We have had cars in the shop with them installed and when asked about them half said they were a pain in the a$$ and the other half said they were ok, When they quit working your dead in the water so to speak, They will drain a battery some, Everybody that had them said that. Who knows
Old 10-06-2011, 07:00 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^ That right there is a mouthfull --- because once you introduce something "electronic" and "specialized" --- it will work perfectly --- right up until the time it doesn't -- and then NOBODY knows who to sort it out.

It will, of course, go out ONLY when you're using the car somewhere -- in the middle of bungholio!

ME <-------- I'll take a simple wire - with a fuse - and I can sort it out ANYWHERE ANYTIME... with simple volt/ohm meter - or tester...

UNLESS of course -- you are the electrician at SAR -- and then even a simple build socket is beyond your grasp!!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 PM

well this has definitely given me something to think about. I love the expandability of ISIS but like Greg said, it will work fine till youre in the middle of BFE and it goes out. hahaha. I'm still on the fence about it. It just seems like such a solid system but the price compared to AAW is pretty hefty.

PS. Congrats on the nice yellow addition to your garage, Greg. Looks like you should have a ball in that thing.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 PM

Wasn't trying to be a buzzkill.... rather.... like most of my conversations on here -- just trying to get a handle on ALL the good and bad of anything. Everyone has a different option and experience and skill etc --- and should take all of that into account.

THANK YOU for the kind words on the new track car! Should be fun!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
ISIS is where it's at if your looking for simplicity, security, safety, expandability, programability, modern-ity, all at double the cost of an AAW kit as someone mentioned. My guess to the reason why it hasn't gotten huge is the fact it's more costly and it takes some thinking to wrap your head around it, as someone else said. There are a lot of guys running it that love it. To me it's more simple to wire, simple to diagnose problems, has added security in the key fob option and disabling the system as well as security codes necessary to start the vehicle if you use inTouch; safety because there are no 12 volt wires run to the dash if you set it up right; the expandability and programability allow you conveniences of a modern electrical system. It would take a lot of add-ons and many relays to get what ISIS has out of the box. The capability's of the system are limitless.
Word.

I've installed one, and I love the system. It's got disadvantages, (like the box dying -- but we all use computers that die too) but the basic idea of separating the switches from the devices is how modern cars are built today. On the car I installed, the whole car has two relays... and that was only because the inMotion controller didn't have enough circuits. The ISIS system directly controls the headlight doors (don't need DSE's controller), runs the cooling fans, fuel pump, power locks, power doors, high end stereo, interior illumination, ECU, transmission controller, A/C compressor, heater control valve, etc. etc.

With just two relays. Installing it was very cool, and I plan on using it on future cars.

jp

II Much Fabrication's Blog New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 AM

We have installed a unit in the 48 Chevy truck project we are finishing up. It is our first. I will have first hand info on all the cool extras it will do shortly. So far it seems cool. I like the fact the remote connects to the main fuse box, you don't have to get an alarm to do that. So one less system. I'm not so sure on the ease of install and all that crap. But it has great advantages to make an old car do modern things.

The guy who did the wiring on the truck has done 6-8 of these systems and says they work great.