Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

So the old rear end - which was all bound up because the arch of the leaf spring perches (bird cage style) and the ladder bars were DIFFERENT... and someone had tightened the bird cages so that they were clamped tight on the leaf springs... We cut all that old crap outta there.... and installed a new Art Morrison Coil over rear/ladder bars/panhard bar suspension. Thanks go out to Roger at Ironworks and Chris at JCG for their phone tech on this!!

Rudy with the old crap!

My scribbles on paper taped to the floor.... As Roger said so delicately -- mumbling about backyard mechanics.... [/COLOR]

Just FYI -- when I took the car up for a 4 wheel alignment - the rear end was "out" .79 degree..... YEAH BUDDY -- the old paper on the floor got me all back with less than one degree to correct for with the F'n LASER alignment rack! HA!

When it's home built - ya just gotta use what ya got....

The frame -- needed a couple patches.... OMG... the backyard work this poor thing had suffered...

AND SOME FLOOR WORK.....

Old 08-21-2012, 10:13 AM

So after it was all blown apart again for the zillionth time - parts painted - parts powder coated etc.... we ended up this weekend slamming that bad boy into the trailer and sending it home. He'll enjoy the balance of our Pacific NorthWET summer -- and then I'll have the interior done. It needs custom carpet - we're deciding on door panels (Marquez vs Deluxe factory) and a custom back seat to match the new Recaros - since I showed him Vegas69 back seat interior shots and he went crazy.

LOVE THE NEW RING BROTHERS HOOD HINGES BTW! Wow -- a ton of adjustability...

HATE THE VALVE COVERS -- the BLUE is just all wrong and Rudy is going to have them re-done with just silver and black where the blue is.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
nice work there buddy, you need a full time job?? we got openings

I'm too old -- your workers comp would get canceled. Do you remember when I called you to inquire about maybe finishing this POS up for me? You have no idea how close I came to just getting it in the trailer and heading north! Trying to do that rear end on the lift -- and I'm somewhat of a perfectionist -- and the car was so out of square and nowhere to pull a good tape from... OMG! But I just kept at it and thank god for tack welds... and it finally all came together.

Thanks for the compliment BTW...

It drives like a million bucks --- and after driving it for the first time - before it got aligned -- I called RUDY and said to him.... ya know what? We built this whole car in my shed -- and I just drove it all over the place and never had one single issue...and it drives straight - rides great - brakes work great... STEVE'S AUTO RESTORATION can't say that!

Last edited by GregWeld; 08-21-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Nice work man. To the guys that think he's just a short, rich, prick, take that.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Nice work man. To the guys that think he's just a short, rich, prick, take that.

You forgot "old" and "fat"...
Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
My scribbles on paper taped to the floor.... As Roger said so delicately -- mumbling about backyard mechanics....
As a pre-teen I still remember helping my Dad set up the rear suspension on his Woodill Wildfire the exact same way! Pumb-bobs and paper taped to the floor with measurements scribbled everywhere!
Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST
Old 08-21-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
This^^

Jeff-

Thanks Jeff! That truly is exactly how I feel about this stuff.... I'll drive or fly a gazillion miles to volunteer at some event - not for kudos or anything like that - - I just want to be with my friends and have some fun doing what we all like doing.

Next up on the shed list --- a 496 ci transplant in my 74 year old buddies beautiful '56 Chevy. His motor is an old worn out POS... and it needs some umpf!

I told Pierre (he's Italian - I call him Frenchie - 'cause who's Mother would name an Italian dude PIERRE?)... he had to wait til NOVEMBER -- because I need a break! I'm OLD and this crap ain't gettin' any easier...
Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 AM

WOW its good to see you getting your hands dirty greg and I guess you dont need to get rid of your tools you do just fine with them. Saw your daughter at the game the other night are you going to come out to any this year?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 AM

I just love the tire stands.... you guys do know you have a lift so you can lower the car to the wheels.....
Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 AM

Great story Greg! After reading your first post about the 383 with 624hp, you had me guessing how you got there. The big 6-71 a few posts later gave me the answer. Very nice!

69 Camaro PT project- LS3/4L70e, Budnik's, Ridetech, Speedtech, Wilwood, DSE tubs, 4 link, shortened Moser 12 bolt- in progress