Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 04-10-2005, 07:22 PM

Default SERIOUS reconsideration of my powerplant

Here we go, you've heard the story a million times. I've been building this 420 for about a year now and just about as it's finished, I read Hot Rod's article on the new LS2 engine and how well it responds to classic stuff like headers, cam change, intake and rockers.

http://hotrod.com/techarticles/113_0504_ls2/

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/...e-Assembly.htm

now then, look at both of those, and try to give me advice as to why I shouldn't consider selling my engine, because as far as I know, it would be a kickass addition to the rest of the car, might add value, cool factor raises since I haven't seen a PT car with an LS2 yet, plus if I sell my engine I would be able to afford a blower and an LS2 for the same price! How can this be wrong?

shout the advice dudes
Old 04-11-2005, 08:03 PM

hm, not a good idea?
Old 04-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Supporting Member

It's a fine idea if that's what you want, and don't mind the extra expense.

Just keep in mind, used engines don't have the best re-sale value.

Go for it!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:32 PM

its brand spanking new, hasnt even been off the dyno yet and the LS2 comes out to about the same price, hence my confusion
Old 04-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
its brand spanking new, hasnt even been off the dyno yet
Since you , my statement. When you asked twice for some sort of response!

Unless you're selling it to someone that knows and trust you, anyone else is still taking a chance that you put it together right. I'm not saying it's doesn't have value, I just wouldn't expect to get what you have in it, out of it.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaztikatik

shout the advice dudes

Well, from what I see the LS2 Crate does NOT come with a wireharness or computer. You will have to get a LS1 harness and adapt as well as a computer plus programming. Factor another $1K into the project because of this, and as much as $1,500 depending on what prices (new/used) you get on the harness, computer, and tuning (tuning can be as much as $450 a shot).

Although the LS2 rocks out at 400 ponies, you can still grab up a 98 or so F body LS1 with donor harness/computer, etc, and slap on a set of SLP or other heads/cam, etc. and blow the LS2 numbers off the chart with far less $$$ and it looks the same at a glance under the hood.

Why should you do this? The Gen III and IV motor weighs about 200 less pounds than a standard SBC. That alone is awesome. They will make power that the standard SBC can't make without super radical parts that result in poor driveability.

Launching into one of these things is not done without much thought and consideration. Speed costs...how much do you want to spend? I prefer to look at it as Coolness Costs...how far are you willing to expand your boundries????

I say GO FOR IT!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:12 PM

haha, money is no object, and every point you make is completely valid. I just found a built 4l80e for $1,600 including converter and think it's an okay deal, would definetly handle a gen III/IV power, even with a supercharger. As far as my project goes/has gone, money has never been an object, I'm in no real rush to get it on the road as long as it comes out exactly the way I want it, I'm expecting 3 more years until completion, but my job lately has picked up a lot and money has consequently been coming in at a higher pace, which is good, cause now I can afford to get this whole drivetrain done.

as far as an LS1 versus an LS2, The LS2 would just be neater, and I know it's drive-by-wire so it would need the corvette harness, plus tuning would be major, I'd need a specialty shop such as Katech or Lingenfelter or someone across country who knows what they're doing with these engines. My current engine builder is JUST getting into LS1's this year, and I wouldn't want to be a test bed for him to see what he can learn from. The LS1 could be a better way to go, but that's why I'm pitching this out here, I'd love to get into the new gen FI blocks and learn a ton more.

definetly tons of thanks so far guys, the info is really helping
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Supporting Member

Based upon those facts and circumstances, I would set my goal on getting a LS7 crate motor. Chevy just announced its availability. With 500 hp box stock, there is NO telling what headers, free flow intake, minor tuning, and a few over the counter goodies could do to that mother hugger.

Remember, your trans really needs to be a 98 or newer designed with the two piece case (bellhousing comes off like a stick shift). The distance from the flywheel to the converter face is different on the Gen III and Gen I/II. You can make a 4L80E from a early model (1995 ect.) fit a Gen III, but you will have to space the converter and you will not be able to bolt the bellhousing all the way to the oil pan as the Gen III is designed. This is how they put Turbo 400 transmissions behind Gen IIIs for drag racing applications.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:40 PM

For the coolness factor and if you have no pricing issues. I say wait for the LS7.

Personally, I don't care for the aluminum LS blocks when pushed past 600 BHP. You could use the cast block from the pick-ups but why bother if there isn't a weight advantage.

Just my $.02
63 Nova 'Low Budget G-Machine' *SOLD*
Old 04-13-2005, 03:33 PM

Spaztikatik,
Since money is no object for your project, shoot that 402 over to me and I'll put it to good use! That way you'll be able to make up your mind without that old motor clouding things up!