Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 11-27-2004, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb
Keith,

You might also try removing the inlet filter if it's easy to do. Any restriction like that can cause cavitation at the pump and would not show up immediately, but after running and heating for a while. If that cures it replace the filter with one with a much coarser filter and use the fine filter for the pressure side. You do not want any restriction on the inlet side of the system.

Jody
Hey Jody-
We had the filter removed before in a troubleshooting teardown and it was the same problem with or without it. We're going to beat this!!
Old 11-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Okay, how about monitoring the voltage at the pump; see if the voltage is dropping, an electric fan kicking on, etc. Voltage has a direct affect on the pump speed and pressure. If it's staying steady I'd be looking very hard at the pump and/or inlet line size to the pump.

Don't give up!

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 11-27-2004, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb
Okay, how about monitoring the voltage at the pump; see if the voltage is dropping, an electric fan kicking on, etc. Voltage has a direct affect on the pump speed and pressure. If it's staying steady I'd be looking very hard at the pump and/or inlet line size to the pump.

Don't give up!

Jody
Hmmm....interesting. Everything is relayed and wired right. When we checked voltage @ the pump, it dipped when the 50Amp draw on the fans kicked in but climbed right back to, I believe, 13.8V and stayed there. We also just replaced the alt with a 90 Amp version..... I still believe, now more than ever, that our issue is localized in the tank somewhere. I believe the gas can bypass will prove me right but won't know until we do it tommorow.
Also, we decided to take the car to the track out here for ****s and giggles a week ago even with the fuel issue it was having. Figured we could let it cool down enough to get a pass out of it. Well, two cars back in the staging lanes right before the burnout box, a rubber fuel line (pre stainless and -6an) exploded before the regulator and puked fuel over the entire motor. Unknow to the driver, the car started to stumble and thinking it was the car bogging, he gave it a little pedal to bring the idle up and the carb backfired and...well, you can guess what happened. We got it out before it destroted everything but it was pretty humbling which prompted the entire fuel system and engine bay/wiring makeover. Imagine how surprised we were when after firing it up and setting total timing, the car did the same fuel pressure drop as it did before......if I was going to give up on the car, it would have been last week when I told my friend to push it off a cliff and call it a day.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:05 PM

Smile

Keith, check the voltage at the pump with a volt meter keep the volt meter hooked up from the time you start it till the time it starts acting up and see if the voltage is the same. It sounds to like to me the pump is getting over heated and shutting down.

thanks
rick kirkindall
Old 12-22-2004, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil427z
Keith, check the voltage at the pump with a volt meter keep the volt meter hooked up from the time you start it till the time it starts acting up and see if the voltage is the same. It sounds to like to me the pump is getting over heated and shutting down.

thanks
rick kirkindall
Thanks...will definitely double check it although i pretty sure we did it once before. Since i first posted this we haven't really touched the car...just sitting collecting dust while I work on other projects. We'll get back to it and i'll report to everyone with pics. Right now I'm chasing an electrical demon in a 67 Camaro conv. which is chapping my ass too. It's got a slow draw somewhere and if the car sits for more than 3days without being started, the batt. is dead. Can you believe I actually enjoy this crap?