Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default 1967 Firebird - Gunplay

Ok, I gotta gt off my butt and do a write-up on the project. I appreciate all input and ideas as I go along!

Project ADD? Hmm yep, why not? So I am a bit behind on projects but wanted to start updating and tracking progress on Gunplay.

I bought this bird last year after major jonesing and kicking my butt on selling my previous 67 400. Then bad influence buddies, and I checked the car originally for a buddy, but as life goes, I ended up adopting her and starting the project...

in progress pics, check out the NRRA\OSHA approved hood mounted gas tank

So as all craigslist ads go, she looked beautiful parked by the front of the house, in white....from 50 feet.... under a rain storm, etc or on a 2x2 craigslist ad picture....

As with most cars, or just my plain luck, the story of actually getting there and buying her from her owner, was an adventure on itself (more details to come ). Let's just say that the interior had several plastic roses, high heels, and glitter boxes and you get the idea. Yep, my other project Lolla is getting jealous as I type this

So here she is when I got her home, stripped and cleaned a few thousand pounds of nasty out of her.

yep looks like that ass had been tapped way too many times... the seller...err I mean the bird.

and a bit of poison never hurts:

Old 10-23-2012, 06:44 PM

so plans called for some cleanup (), and start tearing down. The car had been sitting for a while, but I felt the love and potential

Plans are to keep this project relatively budget minded for the time being, the engine is a 400, and has a floor auto, and the car is overall very solid. Next steps on the project was a tough call on which color to go with (my last 67 was silver), and I wanted something along those lines. I really dig gunmetal gray or charcoal (Chris knows that lol , but I did not want extremely dark, so I ended up finding my answer parking behind a girl driving her BMW M3 at work. Stalker!!!

So, since I teased earlier, here is is a fun add I found inside the glovebox inside an envelope The girl on the pic is actually the previous owner (Amina); she had the last 15 years, and was her baby for a while.

When I picked up the car in the mountains, close to Santa Cruz in CA, (Bolder Creek), the place I got to was out of a "Sons of Anarchy" kinda scene, the car was actually at her ex boyfriend's house... behind a couple trucks, some Buicks and some cool 55ish Chevies.

The front of the house, a biker group, actually pretty cool crew, once the "crap, I have all this cash on my pocket and am in the middle of nowhere with this gang" feeling passed, enjoyed some tri-tip and a beer with them as we loaded the car in my trailer.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 PM

So funny thing I found popping the hood of the car was this little fella, size of a ping pong ball waiting for me Kind of funny since the car had the Black Widow stickers

Some older in progress pics:

Still a lot of stuff to do:

-interior
-brakes (LS brake conversion)
-undercarriage
-engine bay, etc
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM

Hey another 67 bird. Just started stripping my 67 Bird.
Are those Boss 338's? I have a feeling our cars are going to look real similar.
I just picked up my 18" Boss 338's last week.
I'm going for a dark graphite paint scheme.

keep the pics coming...Lookin good
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 AM

Looking great!! I love that color, so much so that both my durango and ram are that color. where was that car show at? you're lucky to see 2, maybe 3 first gen firebirds around here at a show, you have a whole bunch there.

my 68 firebird low budget build----> https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=26675
Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 AM

I am 90% sure that I know that spider.. the painted one...
I suspect your car was once an east coast car.... the Spider may be the moniker of the pinstriper... a New York based guy.
I could be wrong but its worth checking out... his name is Nelson Medina.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:36 AM

Like the colour too. Is that GM Silverstone Silver?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:25 PM

Guys thanks!

Yep I have a SOFT SPOT for Boss wheels (previous birds I had), but on this bird I swapped in AR's form teh other project for fit. The tires are narrower, and will be putting the Boss on the convertible i am building instead (LS1 with turbo plans in progress

68 BMW

Trixie I - 67 400:

Thanks, the color is a BMW color, space gray metallic.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
I am 90% sure that I know that spider.. the painted one...
I suspect your car was once an east coast car.... the Spider may be the moniker of the pinstriper... a New York based guy.
I could be wrong but its worth checking out... his name is Nelson Medina.
Ugh, now I kind of feel bad for having shaved them off

Plans on Gunplay right now are to finish the interior soon, need to weatherstrip and move on to the next items; engine is a very solid and slightly modified 400), need to do disc brakes asap, going with LS (Camaro\Firebird) braks. I used newer TA seats and love how comfy and well they grab on curves compared to the stock buckets.

Last edited by geberhard; 10-24-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 PM

A little extra progress on the bird but have been enjoying her a lot these days, fun rides, long walks at the beach...

I experimented a "few" carbs in the last few months:

1- Edelbrock 1406 - 600 CFM, great our of teh box driveability, perfect start up but perfromance was just ok

2- Holley Street Avenger - great at WOT, but slightly sluggish off the start - I believe 700CFM

3- Rochester quadrajet 74 trans am rebuilt off ebay. Nicely rebuilt, good carb, but power just was not there. Found ou later that the carb was rebuilt to factory specs for high altitude, ugh!

4- Edelbrock 1407 - excellent out of the box and great balance. Mileage suffered but who cares

5- Finally!! Steve did an amazing job buildinga killer carb with some greta parts form Cliff Ruggles. Steve is a Rochester Carb meister, and wnet through the setup and dialed in extremelly well for performance. The car really woke up! If anyone needs a build on his quadrajets, I HIGHLY recommend his work!

Now Gunplay is laying under Lolla (68 vert LS1 in progress) in the garage, tight squeeze, but great to be able to stack two rides in a short 9 feet ceiling garage