Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM

Default an fitting how to?

who has the best how to on an fittings and lines? I would like to read some more on the assembly of them
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownz View Post
who has the best how to on an fittings and lines? I would like to read some more on the assembly of them
I like XRP, but most all of them are very similar.

http://www.xrp.com/

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

A couple things about these fittings -- especially if you're doing braided hose.

#1 Get the aluminum "jaws" for your vise. They're designed to hold the fitting while you fight with the hose etc.

#2 Get yourself a way to cut this hose... CLEANLY

#3 Put the fitting in the jaws you bought for your vise - and insert the hose with pressure and a twisting motion. I stick the hose end in the jaws so that it's parallel with the ground so I can push and twist at the same time. Do this - with a cleanly cut hose end and it goes right in super easy.

#4 Did I mention to get yourself a way to cut this hose - CLEANLY

#5 LUBE the hose (inside not outside) with silicone spray or similar BEFORE you put the fitting on. The rubber hose will really grab your fitting and cause you to strip out the aluminum threads before you fully bottom out the threads.

#6 Use some anti-seize on the threads of the fitting or you will gall the threads and strip them - especially if you fail on #5

#7 Did I mention to get yourself a way to cut this hose - CLEANLY

#8 Use aluminum wrenches... I use the gear drive box ends when possible to build the hose... then aluminum wrenches to attach it.

#9 When attaching the hose to whatever you're trying to plumb -- it is the SEAT that needs to fit well... not the tightness of the thread. The leaks will be because the conical seats didn't seat -- not because you haven't got the threads torqued to 900 pounds <laughing> ... When I'm installing these - I sneak up on the tightness by (after anti seizing the male thread just a dab 'll do ya) tighten - losen - tighten a bit more - losen - tighten to final. They DO not need to be tightened to 8 zillion foot pounds of torque!

If you can't manage to find a clean way to cut this crap --- at least invest in some more plastic crap from Kool Tools.... that will help you get the hose installed in the first piece... when you have a ragged edge.

Personally -- after having made about 10 zillion of these types of hoses -- I hate the stuff - but can make up a hose in about 10 seconds whether it's the PTFE type or rubber with SS braiding... but I have a special saw that is mounted and has a hose holder etc to make the cuts with -- and this gives me a super nice end to start with, making the rest of the process SOOOOOOOO much easier! XRP sells the blades and the saw holder etc for this but it's not worth buying if you're only going to do one car and a couple fuel lines.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 AM

With all this knowledge Greg how about you post up some pictures on the tools you use and a picture of how you do it. You did say it takes you no time at all
Old 12-01-2010, 09:57 AM

Okay -- I will!

Right after I have breakfast!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:39 AM

I'm no expert but the below is what I found useful when I did my hoses and stainless hardline.

For stainless hose:

When I was about to do my AN fittings I found a number of threads about this brand of hose cutters. It worked really well for me making nice clean cuts:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900040/

For AN fitting assembly on hose I had good luck with Koul Tools.

http://www.jegs.com/i/KOUL+tools/581/681/10002/-1

Made it a lot easier especially for the little hoses I had to make (couple -4 ones). I found the larger hoses easier to make but they make tools that go from -4 to -16. You can certainly do it without but if you have a lot of hose ends to assemble it makes for much faster assembly especially if you don't assemble AN fittings all the time like me.

There is a couple good videos on Youtube of hose end assembly. This one from Earl's I found good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSozy6MZto

Another from V8TV
http://www.streetfire.net/video/s71-...8tv_683206.htm

Like Greg said don't forget to lube the hose and use anti-sieze on the threads of all fittings, helps a lot.

For Hardline:
If you are planning on doing stainless hardline I would look into Rigid's line of Tubing benders and flaring tools:

Flaring Tool:
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/458R-Rat...l/EN/index.htm

Benders:
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Lever-Benders

You will also want a couple cutters. A normal sized one for cutting the hardline off the car and a compact one for cutting to fit on the car, or you can get away with one compact one but you definitely will find yourself wanting to cut a line on the car.

You will also want to champher and polish all ends that you cut in the hardline especially if its stainless annealed (probably not needed for alum) since the stainless likes to split on the flairs.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by BBC69Camaro; 12-01-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM

Okay here we go.....

Get yourself some Aluminum jaws for your vise!

AND some way to cut cleanly..... MOST IMPORTANT!!!!

Saw and holder from XRP....

Or giant cutters -- I hate these because they deform the hose but they do work...

Or the way MOST people do this - by taping the hose and using an air cut off saw.... USE THE THIN 1/6" blades!

Make a NICE CLEAN CUT!!

Insert the hose ferrel or whatever the heck it's called into your jaws of life...

Insert the hose with a push and TWIST..... until it seats just below the threads!

Re-install in the vise...

LUBE THE HOSE!!

Anti seize the fitting!! Don't forget this part -- aluminum GALLS real easy... and the fittings are EXPENSIVE! LOL

PUSH DOWN WHILE GETTING THREAD STARTED!

Tighten it up....

DUUUUUDE!! <spicolli style> You're done!!

Old 12-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

Re-install in the vise...

Nice write up!

I might add I had good luck taping the top of the hose right at the female fitting in this pic. That way if when you are screwing in the other side of fitting if the hose pushes out you can tell. Saves some time redoing hose ends that leak because they aren't seated all the way.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC69Camaro View Post
You will also want a couple cutters. A normal sized one for cutting the hardline off the car and a compact one for cutting to fit on the car, or you can get away with one compact one but you definitely will find yourself wanting to cut a line on the car.

You will also want to champher and polish all ends that you cut in the hardline especially if its stainless annealed (probably not needed for alum) since the stainless likes to split on the flairs.

Hope this helps!

IF you're going to cut SS TUBING ----- you need to get SS tubing cutter. Ridgid makes one. CUTTING SS TUBING WITH A CUTTER WILL MAKE THE END WORK HARDEN.... and will most likely cause the end to split or crack.

I re-anneal the ends with my handy dandy little (LOL) Burr King** (not BURGER KING) .... until they're "blued"..... otherwise I use my BODY SAW and a fine tooth blade and finish it up on the Burr King. On SS tubing use a cut off wheel in an air tool -- IF -- BIG IF -- You can cut straight and clean.

** Definition of a BURR KING --- <NOT BURGER KING>..... that flat thing in the background there with the rough gritty paper on it and it spins and whirrs round and round and makes your knuckles bleed....

Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM

Good point I left that out, I had access to a Burr-King for awhile at school, really miss it. Wish they weren't so expensive $$$, love to have one in my garage.