Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 02-17-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
AH HA --- I didn't think you'd run it on the street -- just close the valve and let it sit there. Only requiring it or operating it with track use.
I certainly wouldn't expect to ever NEED it on the street. But like you mentioned above, having it triggered to always be 'ready' means it's one less thing I have to remember to do at the track that's outside of the normal driving experience. Between trying to strap myself in, turn on cameras, and think about where I'm about to drive, I don't need anything else to forget!

I'd like to have a track-only car, and I've been thinking about how I'd like to build one as my next project. Definitely a lot of things which would be MUCH simpler!!!
Old 02-17-2015, 10:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Here --- Get out your checkbook!

http://www.melling.com/Aftermarket/H.../Pre-Lube-Tank
Old 02-17-2015, 10:21 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Hey -- I've gotten so used to having Ron Sutton in my pit to help me remember to check tire pressure.... put the hood pins in --- buckle in -- get my gloves on -- back the car out of the pit (hard to do with a helmet on).... remember to fill with fuel.... That when he left on Saturday last track weekend --- and I had to do it all myself on Sunday I could barely function. LOL
Old 02-17-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Nice, but ouch for a one time use! Maybe I can convince Eric that he needs one.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:48 PM

These seem kinda cool, but I don't think they are cheep either.

http://www.petersonfluidsys.com/filter_mount.html
Old 02-18-2015, 03:34 AM

Thanks for doing this great info.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
One other related question. Maybe I should ask this in another thread, but we'll see if anyone here knows...

I'm considering ways to prime the LS before I try and start it this time. I'm sure that spinning it for a long time trying to build pressure in the external cooler and lines didn't help my bearing problem, especially since it had sat for so long. I'd rather not do the same thing this time.

Any suggestions for ways to prime this thing? One idea I have is to use the oil galley port on the front of the block that I wanted to run the Accusump into, add a metric to AN fitting there and put an AN cap on it. But when I need to prime the system, like the first time or after an oil change, I could remove the cap and figure out a way to pump oil into it, to at least fill the lines and cooler.

Has anyone done this, or have another way to get oil into the system without spinning the motor? My lines and cooler hold at least a quart, and it took a good while to get pressure up the last time when we were spinning it all...
External electric fuel pump..... Holley universal or whatever is cheap, something to use for a reservoir and some push-lock AN fittings and hose.

Last edited by 71RS/SS396; 02-18-2015 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
One other related question. Maybe I should ask this in another thread, but we'll see if anyone here knows...

I'm considering ways to prime the LS before I try and start it this time. I'm sure that spinning it for a long time trying to build pressure in the external cooler and lines didn't help my bearing problem, especially since it had sat for so long. I'd rather not do the same thing this time.

Any suggestions for ways to prime this thing? One idea I have is to use the oil galley port on the front of the block that I wanted to run the Accusump into, add a metric to AN fitting there and put an AN cap on it. But when I need to prime the system, like the first time or after an oil change, I could remove the cap and figure out a way to pump oil into it, to at least fill the lines and cooler.

Has anyone done this, or have another way to get oil into the system without spinning the motor? My lines and cooler hold at least a quart, and it took a good while to get pressure up the last time when we were spinning it all...
Found this over at ls1tech.com

http://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fabr...nder-20-a.html

The guy's using a Harbor Freight drill powered oil pump, and plug the output to the oil filter port, and input to a jug of clean oil.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spode View Post
These seem kinda cool, but I don't think they are cheep either.

http://www.petersonfluidsys.com/filter_mount.html
Yep, I stumbled onto that also. Nice, but definitely spendy!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RS/SS396 View Post
External electric fuel pump..... Holley universal or whatever is cheap, something to use for a reservoir and some push-lock AN fittings and hose.
Seems simple enough, but where do you tap into the system? I'm thinking about adding a port on the front of the block where that oil galley out of the oil pump is, but I'm trying to decide what type and size fitting would be easiest. I'm targeting an M16x1.5 to -8AN fitting in the block, then just an AN flare cap to cap it when I am not using it...