Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 12-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Awesome write up Greg and Big Thanks since this post will hopefully help alot of people out!!!!! Brandon
Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC69Camaro View Post
For AN fitting assembly on hose I had good luck with Koul Tools.

http://www.jegs.com/i/KOUL+tools/581/681/10002/-1

Made it a lot easier especially for the little hoses I had to make (couple -4 ones). I found the larger hoses easier to make but they make tools that go from -4 to -16. You can certainly do it without but if you have a lot of hose ends to assemble it makes for much faster assembly especially if you don't assemble AN fittings all the time like me.
First time I used one of these I borrowed it from a friend last summer. I will NEVER EVER make a line without using one again. I could not believe how easy it was using the tool

Disclaimer: This post was written by a real customer. No one was paid, and no actors were used in the making of this post

http://www.northeastrodrun.com/
Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

The Koul Tool is really only for people that don't have a nice way to cut this crappy hose (I personally am so 'over it' - this look is what I mean).... and you're right - it (Koul tool) does make it far easier if you can't get a nice cut on the end of your braided stuff. But the key is really just to have the vice jaws to hold the fitting --- and a nice clean cut... then you can save the cost of the extra "not really required" tool. I use the vice jaws for lots of other stuff... and the cutters etc can be used on other things as well... the Koul Tool is a one trick pony.

A BIG PS to the original poster.... IF you're using braided rubber hose for FUEL LINE ---- DON'T. If you have to go flexible -- use the teflon lined (ptfe) braided hose and then you'll only need one extra tool... the hand tool that installs the ferrel and spreads the braid out AFTER you install the sleeve. The PTFE hose will stand up to todays fuels and is also great for high pressure stuff like P/S etc. If you use rubber hose -- you're garage will forever stink like gasoline. Then you're wife gets pissy about your "stinky hot rod" -- and then she goes out and shops all day - thus reducing your tool account! Don't let this happen to you!

PPSS: The PTFE stuff is an extra little nasty hose to install a fitting on! If you cut this crappola with a cutoff tool -- it melts the PTFE -- then you can't get the fitting to go down into the liner... it's super snug fit! Any 'defects' or cuts in the end of the PTFE and you're "hosed" (pun intended). This is where that handy dandy XRP saw blade comes into play - cause it's super sharp and doesn't get hot and melt the liner.... JUST FYI is all.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:30 PM

For me the Koul tools really helped with the -4 and -6 hose ends. -8 and -10 I didn't really need them. For me it was worth the price of less swearing and saving my thumbs from being punctured more
Old 12-01-2010, 05:39 PM

Ed --- My skin is why I hate this stuff! LOL

It's (the braid) like 80 grit sandpaper if you accidentally touch ANYTHING that has a finish on it with the stuff! And those occasional barbs are just THE nastiest stuff ever!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:58 PM

Thanked 1,838 Times in 502 Posts

Greg

Great write up! You just need to add one step:

I pressure test all my lines before installing them. I cap both ends with one end having a schrader valve. I pressure test the hose to 125 psi with shop air and dump it into my shop sink under water. If no bubbles it's good.

This has saved me a huge amount of time. I also pressure test all my tanks with less pressure before installing them.

It is much easier to fix the hoses and tanks before you fill them with oil or coolant.

Stielow
Old 12-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Thanks Mark!

I really was chuckling to myself while writing this - - thinking about the first time I made this stuff up.... and how my fingers hurt -- and the stripped fittings and the leaks and the....

Well you know.... this stuff is a total PITA if you're not "educated" about it!

I like your pressure testing.... but I just go one better.... I just don't build hoses and tanks that leak! Hey -- thinking of that -- I have a really really nice bridge in Manhattan I'm not using... CHEAP! Interested?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 PM

That's why I use the nylon hose. Easy to cut and lighter. Power steering hoses are my only braided.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
The Koul Tool is really only for people that don't have a nice way to cut this crappy hose (I personally am so 'over it' - this look is what I mean).... and you're right - it (Koul tool) does make it far easier if you can't get a nice cut on the end of your braided stuff. But the key is really just to have the vice jaws to hold the fitting --- and a nice clean cut... then you can save the cost of the extra "not really required" tool. I use the vice jaws for lots of other stuff... and the cutters etc can be used on other things as well... the Koul Tool is a one trick pony.

A BIG PS to the original poster.... IF you're using braided rubber hose for FUEL LINE ---- DON'T. If you have to go flexible -- use the teflon lined (ptfe) braided hose and then you'll only need one extra tool... the hand tool that installs the ferrel and spreads the braid out AFTER you install the sleeve. The PTFE hose will stand up to todays fuels and is also great for high pressure stuff like P/S etc. If you use rubber hose -- you're garage will forever stink like gasoline. Then you're wife gets pissy about your "stinky hot rod" -- and then she goes out and shops all day - thus reducing your tool account! Don't let this happen to you!

PPSS: The PTFE stuff is an extra little nasty hose to install a fitting on! If you cut this crappola with a cutoff tool -- it melts the PTFE -- then you can't get the fitting to go down into the liner... it's super snug fit! Any 'defects' or cuts in the end of the PTFE and you're "hosed" (pun intended). This is where that handy dandy XRP saw blade comes into play - cause it's super sharp and doesn't get hot and melt the liner.... JUST FYI is all.
Greg, what brand teflon hoses and fittings do you use and who do you recommend purchasing them through?
thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenie View Post
Greg, what brand teflon hoses and fittings do you use and who do you recommend purchasing them through?
thanks
I use Aeroquip.... and have "inventory" of the various sizes so when I buy it I just 'have some'. I use Aeroquip fittings -- I get the cad plated steel versions and BUFF them to show chrome shine! Takes a couple extra minutes but I have lots of time. LOL

Williams Oil Filter Service in Tacoma has every fitting like that you'll ever need.... and the hose too. Or if I'm not down cruising Tacoma I stop at American Hose and Fitting in Kent. If you know what you want - they'll also make them up for you. I prefer to make my own.