Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 03-03-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Daily Driver Roll Cages?

Any daily drivers here have roll cages? I'd like to put a cage in my car but I dont really want to give up my back seats. Without the bracing behind the front seats I don't think the cage does much. Anyone have pics of their cages? Do you like your cage or is it a pain in the arse? I'd like to see falcons or novas as they're closest to my rambler.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:07 AM

you could put swing out bars on the sides and make a removeable cross brace behind the seats.. it probably wouldnt be legal but i would deam it safer than having no cage at all.. ill see if i can find some pics..
Old 03-04-2007, 11:14 AM

Remember that getting into an accident with a roll cage on a street car will in all likelihood lead to substantial injuries if not death. You are surrounded on 3 sides by steel tubing within 8" of your unprotected head and impacting any one of those tubes will take a 30MPH fender-bender into a major injury accident.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:25 AM

good points... but theres always padding and such for roll cages..
Old 03-04-2007, 05:39 PM

Ahh, but hitting your head against a halo tube even with padding at a slow speed impact (less than 35MPH) will still tear it wide open. I can't even imagine what it would do at 70MPH.

Grab a peice of 1.75 and wrap it with cage padding, then swing a 10 lbs sledge at it (about the weight of your head) at a moderate pace, listen for the tell-tale ring of metal on metal.

My new job has be working on lots heavy equipment in really cramped quarters, I have hit my head more than once against the I beams or 1/2" plate we use...it hurts A LOT. Nothing feels quite like banging your noggin against thick solid steel, just something to think about.

Another point, if you have passengers and one of them bangs their head and causes serious injury...you insurance company is going to tell you you are on your own. They won't cover injury caused by a roll cage.

Last edited by sinned; 03-04-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinned
Ahh, but hitting your head against a halo tube even with padding at a slow speed impact (less than 35MPH) will still tear it wide open. I can't even imagine what it would do at 70MPH.

Grab a peice of 1.75 and wrap it with cage padding, then swing a 10 lbs sledge at it (about the weight of your head) at a moderate pace, listen for the tell-tale ring of metal on metal.

haha.. well just wear a helment around town
Old 03-04-2007, 07:25 PM

Sinned is right on how effective roll bar padding is... it's mostly there to protect you while getting in and out of the car. I've never had padding on any of the roll cages in my trucks. The b pillar will do just as much damage as a piece of tube will though (got a nice bump from it at 5 mph in my old toyota rock crawler once). If my car has a cage it will also have race seats and five points but it's unlikely I'll drive around with a hans device, race suit, and helmet unless I plan on having the cops chase me at high speed . I'd still like to have a cage in my car... it can't be that safe driving a 600hp car without one. It will be safer at the track though... be it silver state, drag racing, or possibly sneaking on the track at willow spings between races.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:04 PM

Good topic
Whats the solution? New design or dont have a roll cage?
it can't be that safe driving a 600hp car without one. Iv seen many cars with over 600 without a cage.
Some people say it will save you if you get tboned God forbid
Old 03-04-2007, 11:26 PM

The general rule is don't run a cage if can't wear a helmet. Since it is illegal to wear a helmet on the street you shouldn't drive a car on the street with a cage. If you get T-boned with a cage I guarantee severe head trauma and probable death. There is no way to avoid head to cage contact in that type of collision.

If you were going to insist on running a cage in a street car than build it away from the driver; this throwing the rule books out the window and positioning tubes as far away from the driver as possible. Keep the main hoop at least 8” back from the driver and make sure the halo is as tight as humanly possibly to the roof. Position the driver seat to sit low and for Gods sake always wear a full 5-point harness when driving.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 PM

i had a daily driver with a full cage for a while....a 240Z to be exact. everything about it sucked a$$.

climbing into the car sucked, wackin your head sucked, the door bar violating your a$$...or atleast smackin your tailbone sucked....you get the idea.

i guess the cage did stiffen the car up a whole bunch, and it did look really kewl.....but it didnt see enough track time to consider it a "worthy" upgrade.

Last edited by race-rodz; 03-05-2007 at 12:04 AM.