Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 AM

I met Rich last night at a local meet and this car is beautiful! He really did an incredible job. I am just sorry I got there so late and didn't get to really drool all over it. There is another meet this Sunday, so I'll bring a bib for that one and really have at it. Again, great job Rich, the car is awesome!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Thanks Mark, nice meeting you as well.

Rich
Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Hey Rich - how's the car running??

What did you end up doing for an oil cooler?

Cheers,
Gregg
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Awesome car you've got Rich. I've really enjoyed reading (and re-reading and re-reading) your build the last year or so I've been on Lat-G.

Project Alchemy
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=29820
Old 12-27-2011, 08:06 PM

Arrow

Hey thanks Bryan, The car has been under going some change, I really should update the thread and shoot a few pics. I needed a winter project and decided to remove the the TKO and install a t56 magnum. The t56 is a behemoth gear box, thing just beat me up installing it, its really getting old wrestling this stuff laying on my back, enough wining! Also did a wavetrac upgrade in the rear. Got to send the driveshaft out for shortening and clean up a few things.

Thanks again Rich
Old 12-27-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ragtp View Post
Hey thanks Bryan, The car has been under going some change, I really should update the thread and shoot a few pics. I needed a winter project and decided to remove the the TKO and install a t56 magnum. The t56 is a behemoth gear box, thing just beat me up installing it, its really getting old wrestling this stuff laying on my back, enough wining! Also did a wavetrac upgrade in the rear. Got to send the driveshaft out for shortening and clean up a few things.

Thanks again Rich
Awesome Rich! I knew you wouldn't sit still... Tell me about the Wavetrac. We're there any issues at your HP level w the Truetrac? Also, you're upgrading axles too, right? Oh, and....

Old 12-27-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Hey Rich - how's the car running??

What did you end up doing for an oil cooler?

Cheers,
Gregg
Hey Gregg, the car is running great, I just need to stop wrenching and drive more. The oil cooler is still on my list, I will most likely go with a Setrab, possibly the factory ls9 setup, its pretty cool.

Rich
Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in SoCal View Post
Awesome Rich! I knew you wouldn't sit still... Tell me about the Wavetrac. We're there any issues at your HP level w the Truetrac? Also, you're upgrading axles too, right? Oh, and....

Hey Ron, sorry Im gettin lazy with the camera. No issues with the trutrac, car has less than 200 miles on it. Just wanted to get it out before I get the car down to NJ motorsports park, and then more than likely hurt it. I can tell you they all make a little noise back there especially when you un load them coming off the highway stopping and starting. It seems these gear type diffs like heavier lube, it quiets them down a bit, they just dont have any spring tension to take up gear lash the way a conventional posi does, you got lash in the ring/pinion the splines in the axles and lots of little gears in the diff and it all moves a bit. The wavetrac is a ncely machined piece, I went with the 35 spline axles. In a 12 bolt application with the 35 spline axles moser uses a diff bearing where the bearing cage protrudes out the back surface of the race, so they had to make these ring spacers, you cant just stack the standard shims up against the cage. These spacers are only about 3/16 wide and just thick enough to clear the cage and then you stack the shims. It just seemed a bit weak, after talking with some engineers, I come to relize theres very little side loading there and once the bearing cap comes down and locks the assembly in place it aint going anywhere. Oh ya, I think the axles added another 100 lubs to the back of the car, there friggin huge. If your road coursing the car or even heavy autocross the wavetrac is good insurance. Wavetrac uses some serious steel in there units, I call it unobtainium, you wont blow that beast.

Rich
Old 12-28-2011, 05:18 PM

Default Subscribed

WOW... Your car looks great.. My 67 Camaro was first painted Porsche Guards Red back in the late 80s but after some paint adhesion problems I painted it black and said I would never change the color. Well Im thinking of a color change especially after seeing your car in Torch Red.. Im still not sure what color but red is such a clean color. Thanks for the progress photos.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ragtp View Post
Hey Ron, sorry Im gettin lazy with the camera. No issues with the trutrac, car has less than 200 miles on it. Just wanted to get it out before I get the car down to NJ motorsports park, and then more than likely hurt it. I can tell you they all make a little noise back there especially when you un load them coming off the highway stopping and starting. It seems these gear type diffs like heavier lube, it quiets them down a bit, they just dont have any spring tension to take up gear lash the way a conventional posi does, you got lash in the ring/pinion the splines in the axles and lots of little gears in the diff and it all moves a bit. The wavetrac is a ncely machined piece, I went with the 35 spline axles. In a 12 bolt application with the 35 spline axles moser uses a diff bearing where the bearing cage protrudes out the back surface of the race, so they had to make these ring spacers, you cant just stack the standard shims up against the cage. These spacers are only about 3/16 wide and just thick enough to clear the cage and then you stack the shims. It just seemed a bit weak, after talking with some engineers, I come to relize theres very little side loading there and once the bearing cap comes down and locks the assembly in place it aint going anywhere. Oh ya, I think the axles added another 100 lubs to the back of the car, there friggin huge. If your road coursing the car or even heavy autocross the wavetrac is good insurance. Wavetrac uses some serious steel in there units, I call it unobtainium, you wont blow that beast.

Rich
Great description Rich....

I took a hard look at the WaveTrac. Stout unit no doubt! I'm also keeping my options open for a floater rear (one day, phase two perhaps) and not sure I want to limit my options to one 35 spline vendor. I also agree about he noise, and possible breakage when beat on (my 31 spline axles are good to 700hp I was told), but decided to take the risk. We'll see how that goes...