Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-02-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
Great progress so far, Sean--it's great to see creative builds like this happening and getting done. It's this kind of build that gives sites like this a legitimate reason for existence. Question: What kind of regulator goes in your fuel tank with the pump and everything? I get the sense that my C5-style setup may piss me off in the near future . . .
Thanks man appreciate the compliments. I am not a big fan of cookie cutter anything so I gotta thing outside the box.

I stumbled onto it to be honest. Was getting ready to order up the same Aeromotive kit I have in the last few F100's but hear about this and started doing some looking.

This has a regulator built directly into the tank, regulated at 60PSI outlet pressure. I adapt directly to -6 from the pump, my entire fuel system is composed of 4 fittings, 1 at the pump, 2 for the filter and 1 at the fuel rail.

I am running the Holley Hydramat that comes in this kit. Not the cheapest setup but I have heard nothing but amazing things about it.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-133/10002/-1

Fuel tank should be here today so I can drill the holes and get the pump and float assembly mocked up.

Sean
Old 07-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Well, managed to get the driver side suspension all buttoned up and installed. This sides bearings went on much better than the driver side. I fought with the spindle on that side for hours.

Waiting on tender springs for the front to show up from Eibach and I can bolt in the upper struts for good.

I was planning on just leaving the Dana 30 in the rear, but I just cannot do it, I am too deep in this project to cut corners now.

So last Thurdsay I called around with not much luck finding an 8.8. Did a little junkyarding and found a killer junk yard here in Eugene that had several 8.8's. I lucked out and found one with 3.73's and a limited slip, 31 spline and all. They even had another one next to it that I was able to pull the short side shaft out of.

Took a few days off and visited the coast with the wife, did some hiking (hard on the busted up knee) and had a nice few day break.

Got out in the shop early yesterday and got to work. Unloaded from the truck with the cherry picker and onto jack stands.

For those of you not in the know. This axle is from a 95 to 2002 I believe Ford Explorer, its too wide in stock form but has an offset center section. You can cut down the long side of it and run 2 short side axle shafts and narrow the rearend 2-7/8". These are a disc brake 8.8 rear axle and are very, very tough, 31 spline, factory limited slips and are very well supported by the aftermarket.

Tear down of anything removable from the housing ends.

Then the fun began. Even with a plasma cutter and good grinder this was a pain.

Void of all bracketry and cleaned up for the next steps. I followed a good write up and it worked out far better than anticipated.

Marked out a centerline for alignment, then got my hose clamps out, they make for a nice straight guide line.

Marked up and ready to chop out a section. I cut the end piece off first, trusty grinder with a cut off wheel worked better than expected.

I cut 2-7/8" out and it was perfect.

Ends of the tube got faced and beveled with an 1/8" land and got to jigging everything up to get tacked together.

I used 2- 12" long pieces of 3" C channel and 2 large metal clamps and a quick clamp to hold it together while I got the screw clamps on. It worked good. Clamped this way and tacked, then removed, rotated 90 degrees, re clamped and tacked again.

Once tacked together, I put everything back together to make sure I was able to get the C clips back in and the brakes on, with the shafts.

Everything looked great, tore down, and welded.

Reassmbled everything so I can measure for tabs to go on. Scott is burning out some new tabs that might work for me, hope to have them this week.

Fuel tank should be here today, might be able to get this under the car, fuel pump installed and lines buttoned up by the end of the week.

Rear brakes are ordered, e brake cables, diff cover, fluid, gaskets. Need to figure out some rear coilovers quickly.

Sean
Old 07-05-2018, 11:33 AM

I dont think that there is much interest in a backyard project like mine on this forum but Ill keep the thread updated anyways.

I did a horrible job the last few days of taking photos....sorry for the build thread.

I received the Spectrum replacement fuel tank on Monday and got to work mounting up my new fuel system. The tank is far nicer than expected, even came painted a satin silver that will totally work with my scheme here so saved me some time and money.

Located where the new setup will go, marked the location and drilled a 3.25" hole for the new assembly to drop into. This puts the pump out of the way of the stock float for the fuel level and gives me a great location for the Holley Hydramat to lay out as well as miss the factory filler neck too.

Followed the ****ty instructions that came with the pump but it worked just fine. This is a big single pump, 450 with an internal regulator regulating the output to 60 PSI. The only fittings coming from the new pump is a supply line and a vent. The vent will be hooked to the factory filler neck opening.

The new assembly all bolted down to the tank.

I abandoned the stock fuel line connections on the tank but am utilizing it still for fuel level sender. I am waiting on caps to show up to plug them off. Should be here today, new level sender is installed as well as a new o ring and lock ring, its a clean looking setup and should be plenty for what I am doing.

Scott from STS Machine and I had been going back and forth for a few weeks on 8.8 stuff, he had some killer lazer cut brackets made for the 8.8 to 240, so while in Portland Tuesday and stopped by his place and picked them up with a 25mm front v8 sway bar. I also snagged some 3/4x3/4 heim joints, some bushings, tube and weld inserts.

I got to work yesterday, yarded out the factory Volvo rear axle and got to work locating all of the brackets and getting things tacked up. I spent a little more time than I probably should have but it all worked out.

I ditched the factory lower arms all together. It just didnt make sense, I was going to have to cut them down, buy new bushings for the front, Bens Spherical bearings for the rear and then chop off the back and plate it, then build mounts for the coilovers. It was too complicated for something so simple.

I used some Heim joints at the axle, 1.75OD bushings x3" wide and a piece of 2" .120 tubing for the front bushing at the car. a piece of 1.5" .120 DOM tubing for the lower control arm and a 1.25" weld insert for the heim. It worked awesome and I was able to just use some off the shelf 3" laser cut tabs for the lower link mounts. Now everything on the rear is more conventional.

I have rear coilovers on order, upper and lower shock tabs on order, brakes are shipped, rear ARP wheel studs are on order, I think I am making some progress.

The axle is actually under the car now at ride height, I shortened the lowers .75" and have adjustment to go longer or shorter still. Ben's comfort uppers are in place as well, they have just enough adjustment on them to make the shortened lowers work.

I am hoping that I can set this thing on its own weight next week some time with the fuel system all buttoned up and the suspension mostly buttoned up.

I am getting tired though, been busting my ass lately.

:-P

Sean
Old 07-05-2018, 12:01 PM

Is that little sanitary napkin thing seriously all the "hydramat" consists of? The idea of the internal regulator seems cool (not so much for the price, given the $35.00 for the C5 setup), but it's quite a challenge to believe that little absorbent pad will alleviate the need for baffling under g-loading. We shall soon see. You have a Panhard bar setup in the works?

The lack of interest thing is a challenge. There's a lot of pretense in the world, and if you don't have a really shiny Camaro that will make you look like you really won the world after high school (did that really happen?), you just can't win. This is okay, and it's why I've been using Google Translate to read Swedish and Norwegian build threads lately. The guys over there just want to engineer stuff to go fast, regardless of whether the end product will be appealing at the 30-year high school roundup.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rustomatic For This Useful Post:
1970RT (07-06-2018), gofastwclass (07-10-2018), hackster (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
Is that little sanitary napkin thing seriously all the "hydramat" consists of? The idea of the internal regulator seems cool (not so much for the price, given the $35.00 for the C5 setup), but it's quite a challenge to believe that little absorbent pad will alleviate the need for baffling under g-loading. We shall soon see. You have a Panhard bar setup in the works?

The lack of interest thing is a challenge. There's a lot of pretense in the world, and if you don't have a really shiny Camaro that will make you look like you really won the world after high school (did that really happen?), you just can't win. This is okay, and it's why I've been using Google Translate to read Swedish and Norwegian build threads lately. The guys over there just want to engineer stuff to go fast, regardless of whether the end product will be appealing at the 30-year high school roundup.
Man you and I are always on the same page.

I was skeptical as well about the tank tampon....until I started talking around. There are way more people using them than you would think. I have 2 friends that have them in their KOH rigs and zero issues. Lots of the lemons and long distance race cars are using them as they allow them to literally run the tank totally dry. Most of them are able to run an extra 10 to 20 minutes with the hydramat than without. The hydramat is made of cells that open when in contact with fuel and close when out of it. The hydramat only has to touch the fuel to suck it up. There are some amazing videos of it out there and I have several guys local that swear by it.

I just want to build stuff and keep getting better, I dont usually buy anything off the shelf, this build has been a little different but still no mass produced parts. There is some amazing stuff coming out of Europe and even a few of the shops here in the states but you really have to look. I love the pro touring scene but it can get stale pretty quick. Some bad ass cars without a doubt.

We should get together some day man, would love to come down and hang out some weekend.

Sean
The Following User Says Thank You to hackster For This Useful Post:
gofastwclass (07-10-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 01:22 PM

I don't care what others think, I'm excited every time I see that Sean has updated this thread...

I dig it so much that I don't even care that the pictures are so huge I have to scroll back and forth to view them.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:38 PM

Outstanding work!

I've been following along since the first post, enjoying the build. Not only is it cool "dare to be different" but I am learning things along the way.

My 68 Torino
Old 07-05-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
Outstanding work!

I've been following along since the first post, enjoying the build. Not only is it cool "dare to be different" but I am learning things along the way.
I think this is my first post here and all I have to say is what he said. ^

I read your whole truck build and loved it, this is intriguing to me as well. You can only get into so many Camaro builds. And I am a Chevy guy myself.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:34 PM

I think every car I see has something to offer but in all honesty if I never see another 67-69 Camaro build in any shape or form I will be good with it. Trucks that go fast but shouldn't , rambler station wagons , Volvo P1900's , 64-65 GM A body wagons or El Caminos , anything Mopar and anything else off the beaten path is what I dig. Anyone can build the mundane but the stuff you rarely see is where I get excited.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post
I dont think that there is much interest in a backyard project like mine on this forum but Ill keep the thread updated anyways.
You'd be surprised how much interest! I look forward to the updates.

Jeff-