Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Community Events
User Name
Password

Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
It's a bummer but having spent a lot of time at Spring Mountain I see why they did this.

There's no way to control crowds.. SM is NOT set up for the public since it's a private track. Spectators can wander around the paddock which is a safety concern.. there arn't many restrooms, not much in the way of food, etc.

In other words it's not spectator friendly.. maybe next year they should more the event to someplace like Las Vegas Motor Speedway?

I agree that he spectators do make the event more fun but I can see where they have to worry about safety.
I attended the 2 prior events and I agree that SM is not the most spectator friendly track. I also understand the safety concerns.

I guess I view most of us here as more than just spectators. When you are unable to bring your car to track it's nice to still be able to walk around, meet and talk with those that were fortunate enough to have brought their car. It's becoming a big part of our hobby.

It's also great to see companies like DSE, ridetech, Hotchkis etc.. showing how well their parts can perform. I know it influenced the decisions I made while building my car.

I sure hope this poilcy remains exclusive to Spring Mountain.

My friends and I had a blast as spectators at the last 2 MotorState Challange events. We were hoping to do the same out in Vegas. I guess we'll just have to hang out at Margaritaville instead.

Mike
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 479 Posts

For those of you that haven't changed flight plans..Send a email to them volunteering to crew or randomly help out. I think the problem is it can't be open to the public because they can't have a thousand people showing up. I'm sure they will try to accommodate a few. Ask to be put on the attendance list.

Last edited by clill; 10-07-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 AM

Good point Charlie. It says they need 30 volunteers.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM

interesting............
we were there last year and it was not an issue and i have been at race tracks alot.(but hey i'm not the organizer or the one paying the insurance)
the friday afternoon cruse should be interesting considering the cluster _____ at the convention center on friday afternoon with moveout and packing up the displays, and then what drive out to SM then back to Vegas and then back in the morning?

cool event, when you get everyone talking about it,if you can see it
Old 10-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awr68 View Post
The BBQ line will be a lot shorter this year.................
Aren't you short enough already?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:40 PM

damn that sucks...
like stated above i too understand the reasoning but good thing i live here in vegas cause I'd be pretty upset if i already made hotel/flight plans and was givin a MONTHS notice that i was not able to attend unless i wanted to be a co-worker/volunteer ...with some some blue haired lurch height freak!

I was there the last 2 events and didnt see any problem with have the spectators ( granted attending an event a run a event are to different lenses)
I moving to the speedway would actually ruin the event... i dont know about others but for me the awesomeness of the optima event is the fact that everyone down there in the pits "per say" be it drivers, vendors,hobbyists,etc

i would think it would be a cool idea to just limit the number of spectators to a amount you feel comfortable and just sell tickets before the event through lat-g and pt.com and when they sell out they sell out, i felt like we're (these 2 forum members)really the only people who even attend the event other than the owners of some of the paint dripping cars at sema.
i betting jimi is worried since the event is big time now that its had speed channel coverage the event will have a TON of new spectators and that could cause problems...

my .02 in a nut shell if you keep this event a spectator less deal then it just gonna become like the super chevy suspension shootout (just a vendor marketing tool) and it will loose its hype its gained

1970 1/2 rs z28...pro-touring?...i wish...soon?

Last edited by skatinjay27; 10-06-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
For those of you that haven't changed flight plans..Send a email to them volunteering to crew or randomly help out. I think the problem is it can't be announced it is open to the public. They can't have a thousand people showing up. I'm sure they will try to accommodate a few. Ask to be put on the attendance list.
Thanks Charlie, But I think I will give it a miss, I hadn't planned on being locked into duties, as I am traveling with my wife and Friends, As I said before I am pretty disappointed. This event hasn't just been put together, and a decent amount of notice would have been nice.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I've been paired to work with Rodger Lee... and I have inside info that we will be followed by the film crew. Seems they're also working on a movie sequel called "Twins II".
Old 10-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

I've given this some thought and have come to the conclusion that not allowing spectators in is total B.S. So far I haven't seen one legit excuse. Limiting the number of is acceptable and understandable. Forcing would be spectators to volunteer is kind of a chicken **** move if you ask me. If finding a free work force is a challenge then the event planner isn't really doing their job very well or giving it the attention it deserves. This move has sent out one huge negative vibe to a community that is the core customer. Way to go!

It's a real bummer that anyone who wants to attend will have to work with an invited participant or work parking cars in order to catch a glimpse of things. Hey....you might not be able to buy a ticket to attend the event...but I'm sure they will have a video for sale.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 10-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
I've given this some thought and have come to the conclusion that not allowing spectators in is total B.S. So far I haven't seen one legit excuse. Limiting the number of is acceptable and understandable. Forcing would be spectators to volunteer is kind of a chicken **** move if you ask me. If finding a free work force is a challenge then the event planner isn't really doing their job very well or giving it the attention it deserves. This move has sent out one huge negative vibe to a community that is the core customer. Way to go!

It's a real bummer that anyone who wants to attend will have to work with an invited participant or work parking cars in order to catch a glimpse of things. Hey....you might not be able to buy a ticket to attend the event...but I'm sure they will have a video for sale.

Or you could look at it that they would have to limit the spectators, Cuz there is just no place for them in reality. Last year it was fine cuz nobody had heard of the event. Well what is 10,000 people showed up this year? I'm glad that I'm given the chance to volunteer. He could hire out temp works to do the job and then nobody gets to go. And A volunteer gets to see the event more up close then any spectator ever would. Imagine if this event was in the middle of LMS, You would not be able to see anything up close without TV coverage. If you have been to Spring Mountain, you can see there are no bleachers or any place to really view th entire track. It is probably worse then an Event at El Toro.

Last edited by ironworks; 10-11-2010 at 01:44 PM.