Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

We're all very honored and privileged at the V8TV Shop to have Lou choose us to bring his Camaro to the next level. He and Dan have been great to work with, and we're all excited about the car. Here's the first video if you didn't get a chance to see it. You can meet Lou and Dan and get a feel for the importance of this car.

These are the projects we really like, the ones that have different dimensions of relevance to the owner. Being trusted with something very significant to the owner and family is a responsibility we don't take lightly. The added bonus is that Lou's family are very cool people to be around, so we are all having a great time with it.

Thanks to all for the kind words, you can bet we are working hard to make sure this car meets the high expectations of everyone involved, including us.
Muscle Car Of The Week
V8 Radio Podcast

All about us:
https://www.v8speedshop.com

Old 06-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Nice progress thru the years, looks like it will be fun!!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Here is the Bad Boy LSA that is going into Lou's Change. It is a CTS-V spec GM crate motor. After mock up it will be sent to Lingenfelter Performance Engineering for them to work their magic on it. Heads, cam, porting, pulleys, tune, etc. are all part of the Lingenfelter plan. The goal is gobs of torque and over 700 reliable and trouble free horse power.

You will notice it has the CTS-V top hat on the supercharger.

We're hoping to go with the new ZL1 top hat because it has the intercooler lines coming out the front, an improved heat exchanger brick inside and a shape that improves air flow overall (according to the GM literature).
In addition, the intent of the Lou's Change concept is to include tributes to the ZL1 vs. than the CTS-V. Hopefully the ZL1 top hat is going to fit under the stock SS hood.

Here are GM pictures of the parts used in the CTS-V spec LSA motor and the ZL1 spec LSA motor. You can see the differences in the supercharger top hats.

The CTS-V has rear exiting intercooler lines and a profile that slopes down in front.

The ZL1 has front exiting intercooler lines and the profile does not slope towards the front.

The Detroit Speed headers were ordered to make sure everything would go together as a totally engineered and proven system with minimal surprises. Yes, they are expensive but look at the craftsmanship. They are works of art in my humble opinion.

The CTS-V tophat has the intercooler lines exiting towards the rear.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lous69 View Post
We're throwing everything the Detroit Speed catalogue has to offer a 69 Camaro at this build...
Their transmission crossmember, too?

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-196...s-crssmbr.html

Project Alchemy
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=29820
Old 06-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Very cool project. Are you trying to get 700 flywheel or rear wheel horsepower out of that Lsa motor? The Lsa heads flow pretty well out of the box. You could change the pulley and cam,
and hit your mark of 700 pretty easy.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:01 PM

Awesome plan Lou. Thats going to be one wild ride when you need it to be and a pleasure to drive on the street. Nice to see a son and his father doing things togther.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:11 PM

Mock up has officially begun. Trial fitting of the Detroit Speed subframe looked perfect as you would expect.

We had to find some rollers that would clear the 14" Wilwood rotors we've ordered so we picked up a set of 2012 Camaro takeoff wheels and tires.

Hopefully, those tires will fit in the wheel wells...if not we'll have to find some lower profile tires for mock up.

We used Detroit Speed's subframe, steering rack, motor mounts and headers so everything fit together very nicely.

V8TV will custom fabricate a custom cross member for the T56 Magnum transmission and notch the subframe to clear the A/C compressor mounted in the low passenger side location as it is in the factory CTS-V and ZL-1 configurations. That will allow the use of the
OEM front accessory kit we ordered with the crate motor.

We could move the A/C compressor mount up high but we're in pursuit of the cleanest engine bay we can achieve as inspired by Charley's Jackass Camaro.
Kevin and Trevor have been kicking some ideas around in that regard.

Everything fits so nicely so far..

Looks like the rear exit supercharger intercooler lines would not have had a conflict with the firewall afterall.

As I said before, we hope to use the ZL1 top hat with front exit coolant lines anyway.

We're shooting for well over 700HP at the crank with all the Lingenfelter mods. Those are the kind of numbers we feel the CTS-V crowd and all the tuners have proven is safe without having to also beef up the bottom end of the LSA crate motor.

As you can see, the LSA oil pan hangs down below the subframe a little bit. It's not hanging down any more than my old motor did but we may need to get a different oil pan just to be safe.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 PM

Awesome project!

My 1957 project:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334552
Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

I've been thinking about the cooling systems on the car, and while the Linegnfelter ZL1 has done some pretty amazing things on a stock cooling system and charge cooler heat exchanger, I think our application will benefit from some increased capacity and additional coolers.

Their Z has run fast in the quarter, but that gives you time to cool the car between runs. If you saw heard any of the stories about the 200+ mph runs, you know that the limiting factor was the amount of heat the supercharger created during long runs.

We have seen it time and again in dyno tuning sessions with these types of systems, they really can pack in the heat.

Now I realize we're probably not going to be making 200 mph passes on the car, but we'd like to do everything we can to minimize heat soak when the car is on a road course.

I'm also considering oil temperature and steering fluid temps. Having recently spoken to a variety of "smarties", it's obvious we need to prevent these temps from rising and causing harm on track days. I think we can add an oil temp sensor to the Dakota dash.

I've long preferred an integrated cooling system - like OE auto trans coolers integrated in the radiator. I've heard that Stielow and Tucker are going to the approach of oil and steering coolers integrated in the radiator rather than stand-alone coolers. The benefits are not only for packaging and airflow and fan assist, but also the the engine coolant can help warm & cool the other circuits, preventing rapid heat spikes and potential bad stuff.

So now I'm thinking of a cooling module with engine coolant, engine oil, & power steering circuits, as well as an upsized inter cooler heat exchanger. Add to that a high quality a/c coil and we should be golden. I've heard DSE is using C&R for these kinds of radiators, I'm looking into them now.
Muscle Car Of The Week
V8 Radio Podcast

All about us:
https://www.v8speedshop.com

Old 06-17-2012, 01:19 PM

Just another reason why I know I'm in good hands on this project.

I appreciate the way Kevin thinks about his customers' projects just as if he was building his own car.

His ideas about the cooling system are just the latest example.

Kelle and the rest of the V8TV crew think that way too.

Here are some pics of the new Dakota Digital gauges we are going to use in Lou's Change.

I want the interior to look mostly stock but to have modern gauges. When Dakota Digital came out with these 69 Camaro specific pieces they were the obvious choice for me.

They can be programmed to display all kinds of things including temperatures, pressures and even performance results.

For instance, they can display 0-60 times, 1/4 mile elapsed times, etc.

Very cool eh?

Oh, by the way.... for all you Fathers out there,

HAPPY FATHER"S DAY!

Father and Son projects are extra special today.