Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-21-2019, 01:11 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
One of the most difficult parts for me was maintaining a straight body line across the quarters, doors and fenders. A laser level helps. Keeping both sides the same takes some effort too. I did OK but learned a lot the hard way.

Don
So get the doors on and lined up first, got it. I have a laser level already.

Question about the bulge part, do you think it would help to run the shrinker over the top flange of the quarter to help give it the outward curve?
Old 05-21-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
So get the doors on and lined up first, got it. I have a laser level already.

Question about the bulge part, do you think it would help to run the shrinker over the top flange of the quarter to help give it the outward curve?
Shrinking might help but it gives that wrinkly finish that can be hard to metal finish.

I had to make a pretty good sized pie cut along the body line from the door towards the wheel arch to get it to wrap around. Some creative metal shaping might help avoid that.

My metal shaping skills and tool set are pretty crude, looking forward to seeing how you do with your skills.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
CamaroAJ (05-23-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 10:26 PM

This week I got the driver floor bonded together and wrapped with 12k carbon fiber. I ran out of both epoxy and carbon so I wasn't able to get the rest of the floor panels done so I'll have to put that off until I get more.

Today though I got quite a bit done on the firewall. I finished cutting off the upper cowl to access the bottom and got the main middle section shaped, bead rolled and welded in. I'm undecided how I want to finish the passenger side of the firewall so I focused on the driver side and got most of that done. I feel that I'm more than likely going to have to cut off the fender mounts and make my own to get everything to look right and not just patched together. I also need to mount my wiper motor since I'll be able to retain stock style wiper transmission and not have to go after market making the firewall the way that I did. I think that I'm going to mount my ECM to the firewall behind the supercharger since there is a lot of room there and it will keep the engine bay clean with less wiring.

Anyways, heres some pictures since thats all thats really important lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by CamaroAJ; 05-25-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Doesn't feel like I got a lot done Saturday since I cut more off the car then I welded back on, but overall it was quite a bit of progress. I started out with getting the bumper brackets bonded to the bumper and all of that lined up.

While the bumper was curing I went back to work with the firewall. I hammer and dollyed the upper wiper cowl straight again and got it clamped back on and lined up and the wiper bases in so the cowl would line up right. With that set I was able to start the middle section of the firewall. I hammer and dollyed a round curved edge to match the curve of the cowl and got the bottom side welded and metal finished. The hard part will be filling all the small pieces now. I think I'm going to build a jig and cut off the stock fender mounts so they don't look scabbed together and all flows well.

Since I've already made reference in this thread about it I started on the wide body fit up. I cut the front and rear flanges off and used my shrinker across the top and on both sides of the wheel arch. This was just a light shrink as I can always go more and I didn't have the car here when I did it. I took the quarter over to my trailer and laid it over. I'll get back on this once the firewall is done, but so far I've gained almost 2" with it just set on it. With it held tight and the calibrated eyeball it's right about 1 3/4" wider.
Attached Images

dhutton (06-03-2019), syborg tt (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Car is looking great and it's hard to for people to understand how much you actually do as even the simplest projects can eat up an entire day.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 06-03-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Car is looking great and it's hard to for people to understand how much you actually do as even the simplest projects can eat up an entire day.
Thank you. Yeah the big projects tend to go quick and the small ones drag on. Always seems like there is a never ending amount of small stuff too.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:40 PM

I was still recovering from a cold on Saturday so I didn't feel like breathing in welding fumes and grinder grid and I took a pause from the firewall. Still needing to get work done I did a quick and dirty rough fit check on the front wheels. I need to get my measurements solid so Boze Forged can build me some wheels for the car. The wheel I want is a 19x10 and It will work, but I think I'll be doing some mods to the fenders for tire clearance.

After that was done I got started on the driver rear wide body. I started with getting the rough fitment of the new quarter laid over the old one. Once I got that close I rough cut the old quarter off. After getting the new panel fit even closer I was able to cut the tub so I could make the extension. I gained 2" so I should be able to get a 335 under there now. Lots of shrinker work slowly and lots of fit checks.

For the new outer tub extension I made poster board patterns and bent flanges with my bead roller and you get a scrap looking piece of metal. The Harbor Freight shrinker is actually amazing and does just as good of job as my mittler shinker/stretcher. I worked the metal threw it with light pressure on a big bite a few passes and then a medium pressure on half the lip followed by a few more passes on a whole bite to remove the ripples from shrinking. The pictures show how much it changes with just a little bit of work.
Attached Images

dhutton (06-17-2019), GregWeld (06-17-2019), syborg tt (06-24-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:13 PM

Nice! Keep it coming, I can't wait to see it on it's own rollers. And hope you're feeling 100% soon enough.

My SRD Renderings Instagram page

My SRD Renderings Facebook Page

Pumkinator '79 Cutlass Wagon Build
Old 06-18-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD Art View Post
Nice! Keep it coming, I can't wait to see it on it's own rollers. And hope you're feeling 100% soon enough.
Thank you, I'm feeling much better now.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:54 PM

AJ you’ve Come a long way, that’s some tricky bends your making. I like the stretch on the quarters. Will you just seam seal the tub to the quarter or does it get tacked too?