Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 01-26-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I totally agree -- there's too many choices out there... and it can be very hard when it's real money - and you're having to make choices.

That is why I've really tried to use EXAMPLES to discuss -- more for the THOUGHTS rather than the actual stock/etf/mutual fund being used for the discussion.

Just like my "I bought X" post -- Nobody should feel that's what THEY should do -- I'm just using the example so I can lead into the thought behind the buy or sale. I think that's where this thread is useful -- the discussion of the reasoning... and trying to BUILD on that reasoning by adding some tidbits along the way... so people can make their own decisions --- I don't care if they're only choosing which mutual fund to buy! At least they might look into them a bit more -- and use some thought process to choose A from B. If not -- we're all just wasting our time -- and I don't think we are. At least I hope not.
I doubt anyone following this thread has perceived it as a waste of time. Being able to observe insights and actions from the numerous contributors is very educational and I haven't noticed anyone making a move that lead me to think WTF did you do that for. One upside to all the choices, provided reasonable fundamentals are applied is there are a lot of nutritional choices that can satisfy the individual's appetite.

Engaging or in my case reengaging with more knowledge and developing a better feel for the big market picture with a fundamentalist focus has been emotionally rewarding in the short-term, hopefully, thanks to insight provided in this thread it will be financially rewarding long-term.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Since we're not hearing from many varied posters -- I'm wondering if there is "too much" information and maybe it needs to be dialed back...

There really only seems to be 4 or 5 posters lately -- and that tells me maybe folks have stopped reading????
Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Since we're not hearing from many varied posters -- I'm wondering if there is "too much" information and maybe it needs to be dialed back...

There really only seems to be 4 or 5 posters lately -- and that tells me maybe folks have stopped reading????
No, I have not stopped reading... Please continue to share.

For me, again I am doing something different, and I would rather be listening than talking.. I do not want to come on as the somewhat lucky rookie, sharing my speculation/investing strategy..

Although it works, I am learning so much on this thread..

I ALWAYS check this thread...So please continue.

It would be a crime , if you stopped.. Money and Hot Rods and the Good Life, are all needed..

Speaking of that, I may be gone doing whatever I want. Haircut, Check on my Car build...

But I will check back soon. you can count on that.

Mike V
Old 01-26-2012, 01:51 PM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Thanks Mike -- it just occurred to me that only you - Sieg - and a couple others are asking questions or participating... so got to thinking that maybe it's gone sour somehow.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Haven't posted in this thread yet, but reading every post along the way. No, I don't think it's gone south at all... Hopefully others, like myself, enjoy reading and finding motivation in it.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mike -- it just occurred to me that only you - Sieg - and a couple others are asking questions or participating... so got to thinking that maybe it's gone sour somehow.
I am following the thread and trying to use the advice given. I just don't have anything useful to add so I am keeping quiet.

Using the advice here I have made a little money in my Schwab account and my 401k. It has been an interesting ride so far and it takes a lot to remind myself that I am investing and not trading....

My best success to date is CAT, my biggest flub to date is VZ. It's only been three and a half weeks so let's see where I am in a year.

Thanks,
Don
Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM

No its good reading.
I wouldn't dial it back. I've been reading and am starting to do some research.
I have a couple 401k's from employers I even have a pension from one. I don't have any stocks at this time thats why I haven't posted. I'm sure its the same with others. I'm taking it all in.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:14 PM

Hi Greg
As you can see this is my first post. I have been reading this thread from the beginning and will continue to do so. I come to this site because I love all the car builds, as I am not in the position to build a car yet, I just read. I feel lucky I stumbled across this thread as I have learned a lot about investing and I am appreciative that you have opened some of you financial information so others can learn. I also feel it is very brave. 99% of my investments are in real estate because it is what I know I always looked at the stock market like magic box that I would never understand. By breaking it down so simply you have alleviated some of my fear and I now look forward to diversifying and buying stock in the in the places I shop in and the professions that I know. It is funny how many times I have looked at a busy store and said to myself “they must be doing really well” I never thought to see if I could buy shares so I could start doing really well too. Thanks for all the great information and I will continue to read this thread and the bubble top thread although one needs some more pictures.
Ray
Old 01-26-2012, 03:00 PM

Default I think you should keep going

lots of hits with few posters but the information is condensed, consice and full of everyday reason.

There are always things going on that move markets and provide good discussion to make a point. IE the last earnings report.

Other topics are worthy of discsussion even though they may not be reccommended for what you are trying to do here, but it would give the readers more information and broader knowledge.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:09 PM

Since CNBC came up it should probably be suggested, at least to the NEWB investors on here, that it should not be used to make investment decisions. They have to fill their air with stuff (NOISE), much of which is a bunch of "experts" doing nothing more than predicting the future. They don't have any better a crystal ball than anyone reading this thread. It is a good source for financial news and you can even use it to learn about companies that you can then RESEARCH before you invest in them. Just don't dump any of your money into a stock just because someone on there likes it. But, if they happen to say have a CEO on and you like the business philosophy or a new product they have coming out or what have you, then do some homework on the company and THEN decide if you want to become an owner of it.

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133