Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 05-21-2012, 07:45 PM

Arrow Investing 104 - 401K Rollover - Dividend Stocks & Portfolios wanted

I know the Investing 102 Thread has been super popular here and I check in on that thread whenever I log on (Thanks to Greg and so many who have contributed, that is an awesome thread)
I got a new job and will be rolling my former 401K into a Roth Ira @ Schwab and would like to hear everyones favorite stocks, I prefer Dividend Stocks for my core, but I am open to also hearing about some that you think could be a big home run, The next Apple? or? doesnt need to be a dividend paying stock just something that may be the next wonder stock.
I am in my mid 40's, can withstand some risk and would like to get rolling into Stocks which will be new to me because I have only used limited mutual funds through my 401K.
I have about 375K to put to work over time, anyone care to share and put your portfolio suggestions up for me to look over & analyze and why YOU like them? maybe even break down what stock and a dollar amount per stock, example: if you have several stocks and want to break them down to amount to 375K for the ultimate portfolio, I am all ears!
Thanks in advance, I appreciate it and I am looking forward to hearing from you guys, I know theres a lot of knowledge here.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 PM

Two things to be aware of when rolling over from a 401K into an IRA.

1. Assuming it is a traditional 401K (not a Roth) then it complicates doing any backdoor roth IRA contributions in the future.

2. 401K has better protection against creditors.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for ya.

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023
Old 05-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
Two things to be aware of when rolling over from a 401K into an IRA.

1. Assuming it is a traditional 401K (not a Roth) then it complicates doing any backdoor roth IRA contributions in the future.

2. 401K has better protection against creditors.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for ya.
Im not 401k expert, but wouldnt you roll a 401k over into a Traditional IRA? both are "pre-tax" dollars. Seems like it would be complicated to roll a Pre-Tax 401k into an After-Tax ROTH IRA.

I could be wrong. LOL.

As for what to invest in, I'd suggest learning the principles behind the investing 102 thread, and doing your own research. It's important to know WHY you bought a stock, vs someones recommendation. If that stock so and so recommend is now down 40%, what you gonna do? sell it? buy more? Gotta understand "why" to make that decision.

My 2c anyway.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
Im not 401k expert, but wouldnt you roll a 401k over into a Traditional IRA? both are "pre-tax" dollars. Seems like it would be complicated to roll a Pre-Tax 401k into an After-Tax ROTH IRA.

I could be wrong. LOL.
I was referring to rolling from Trad 401K to Trad IRA and keeping it "pre-tax" money. This is only important if you exceed ROTH IRA income limits and want to use the "back door" contribution option available.

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023
Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
I was referring to rolling from Trad 401K to Trad IRA and keeping it "pre-tax" money. This is only important if you exceed ROTH IRA income limits and want to use the "back door" contribution option available.
Oops Sorry Chad.. I accidentally quoted you Vs the OP. I meant that towards the OP who mentioned rolling over the 401k to a Roth. Sorry.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 PM

If you are within the income limits consider a Roth conversion..
Old 06-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
If you are within the income limits consider a Roth conversion..
Schwab suggests to do a regular IRA or I will start paying taxes (now) if I do a roth IRA rollover, at least thats the way I understood it, they say why pay tax now? .... maybe I am misunderstanding
Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 PM

If you convert it to a Roth you will have to put the amount you convert on your tax return as income for the year you do the conversion (since it was never taxed) and then be able to pay the tax on it either by reducing your refund or increasing what you owe. If you use money from the account being converted to pay this tax that's considered a distribution from that account and therefore subject to not only regular income tax but the early withdrawal penalty. Once it's converted though it grows tax free from that point on.

Basically would you rather pay tax on the balance in the account now at your current rates (if you're able to do so) or pay tax on the withdrawals as you take them out (presumably a much larger sum by then) at whatever rate you're paying at that time, usually a lower one for most people. Who knows what tax rates will be then though.

Oh, and I'm no accountant or anything. I've just done one of these conversions and I believe this is all true. Some things might have changed though but Schwab will know.

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133
Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

There is a lot of MATH that needs to be done BEFORE you do any conversions... and - frankly - it needs to be done with an accountant. Your tax bracket - all the limitations - etc need to be worked out.

If it works out -- you have to pay the taxes due OUT OF POCKET not from the 401 funds.... so it's an extra expense.

The big key to the whole thing is the NON TAXABLE WITHDRAWALS upon retirement. That can be huge... but all this needs some serious math and thought.

To me -- the key is just to save as much as you possibly can in the 401 AND contribute to a ROTH as well... and so what if you pay some minimal taxes once you're retired? That's the whole key is that you should be in a lower or minimal tax bracket once retired.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:48 PM

Thumbs up heres the pros thoughts......

Thanks Guy's, I did speak with a F.A (fee only) and this is what he thought made the most sense (specially from a tax standpoint) moving it into my new 401K for now, its Vanguard based, I have about 25 funds to pick from - the nice thing is I can move it any time if I want to into a traditional IRA at Schwab if I change my mind or plan, I can move some or all.

My goal is to retire early and if I choose to leave it in my new 401k until I am 59 1/2 it made the most sense from a tax standpoint he asked the questions I told him my goal, he said knowing the flexibility (which he had me call my new 401K / Vanguard to get some clarifications) with my new plan, if I did want to move it to Schwab, still can, no problem or penalites as long as I move it directly to a IRA @ Schwab, if I change my goal or plan I can move it, I know there isnt as much flexibility but when I explained to him what I wanted to do or at least shoot for (59 1/2) this was what makes the most sense, I can always move a portion too.

As stated earlier it does boil down to a tax deal, no way around paying any tax, it will happen regardless, but in my case,if I choose to leave it in there,ride it out until I am 59 1/2 the tax situation is the best case scenerio.

Both F.A and accountant both recommend I do not convert it to a ROTH in my case, again this is based on my situation, I am sure there are some that will see it differently but your situation may be slightly different which changes everything.

I am going to think it all over the long weekend, this is my first time moving a 401k and you are right it takes figuring out.

Oh btw my 401k is a traditional 401k and would be rolling it into another traditional 401k.

Thanks for the feedback.