Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Excellent post John! Even if you did steal it, fair and square, from the New York Times!

And by the way -- I totally agree with the statement about the economy. There are MORE businesses started during downturns in the economy vs when things are rolling fine. People are sometimes forced to do something "different" during downturns.

The key take away I got from the original question/post - is that there is a significant lack of capital ---- and that should be the key concern because even in the best of times cash is king... and the lack thereof can't be overcome easily. Read #5 in John's post.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMC View Post
I might add that finding good employees is extremely hard in any business. When you do find them they need to be taken care of because they are in short supply. They talk about high unemployment but I had 10 times the applicants 4 years ago than now. ( for any position, including cleanup kid) a friend of mine in a completely unrelated field, the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that the our govt. Has made it so easy for people to sit around and get paid for doing nothing that people have become accustomed to that lifestyle. Back in my day ( and im only 44!) unemployment ins was a last ditch thing and only very temporary. The only thing keeping alot of small businesses (automotive or not) from expanding is these crazy govt regs, taxes and finding qualified, motivated employees. I feel very fortunate to have the talented crew I have and am busier than ever but cannot expand and still produce the kind of product i want due to these reasons. Small businesses are not part of the current govts. agenda.
PS, sorry for the rant but I'm sure any small business owner can relate!
Amen, Steve. Too many people are allowed and actually encourage to sit and home and NOT actively look for work. It's real bad around here.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMC View Post
I might add that finding good employees is extremely hard in any business. When you do find them they need to be taken care of because they are in short supply. They talk about high unemployment but I had 10 times the applicants 4 years ago than now. ( for any position, including cleanup kid) a friend of mine in a completely unrelated field, the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that the our govt. Has made it so easy for people to sit around and get paid for doing nothing that people have become accustomed to that lifestyle.
While I agree completely about finding good employees, and I think that it's one of the most important aspects involved in being successful, we got a lot more people applying for our jobs that were open a few months ago.

What I would say is I'm glad that someone who is happy to sit around all day and get paid to do nothing, are self filtering themselves out, because I don't want to be the poor bastard who inadvertantly hires someone who turns out to be terrible.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Excellent post John! Even if you did steal it, fair and square, from the New York Times!
Busted!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

Yup I have it up to where I can read it all the time.

65 Fastback "Maddo" @ Meanstreets Performance. Ridetech, crate 306/T5, tubbed, Forgeline
Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Default TYpe of business

Why is this thread still open if the original opener, Rick, cannot provide anymore detail? The rest of the advice is a guess and many in this thread have stated. The options are interesting but may be completely irrelevant. Why would someone open a thread and not engage?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69znc View Post
Why is this thread still open if the original opener, Rick, cannot provide anymore detail? The rest of the advice is a guess and many in this thread have stated. The options are interesting but may be completely irrelevant. Why would someone open a thread and not engage?
So we should just close this thread?

But I do agree that Rick needs to provide some feedback and more info to create a better path for this thread to flow.
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69znc View Post
There's a good chance it's an eye opening experience thanks to a lot of good information being shared (speculated) and a little of this may be taking place right now?

Having been in retail for 35 years I'm amazed at how many "educated business" people I know that are relatively clueless to all that's involved in retail operations.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Sorry guys I have been crazy busy all week with my job First I need to go rest from this crazy week and then I will have a response as some things have changed from my orginal idea!

Oh and thanks for all the great responses you guys are the best!!

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 08-09-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post
Sorry guys I have been crazy busy all week with my job First I need to go rest from this crazy week and then I will have a response as some things have changed from my orginal idea!

Oh and thanks for all the great responses you guys are the best!!
Well welcome back to your thread!
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer