Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 04-08-2018, 07:14 PM

Default Isolation tunability of 4 link vs TA rear suspension- brand independent

I'm restarting my stalled project and hoping to get insight on one of my stall points - the rear suspension. I'm thinking about a rear suspension change and was wondering how tuneable one suspension design is vs another to isolate the gear noise either with the type of rear axle used, suspension isolation techniques or some other combination.

I'm struggling with how to phrase this question in a way that is able to be answered. Or avoid turning into a question like "what's your favorite color". This topic was briefly talked on page 1 and 3 on this thread. https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthre...t=47154&page=3 but the issue causing the post was resolved with no further talk.

So, first try at restarting a similar conversation:

Given all of the design optimization work done on each type for ride and handling, there are any advantages of one suspension type over the other to add axle type and isolation as tuning variables as well?

Example: A 4 link rear suspension manufacturer requires the use of a Ford 9" axle housing because the housing lends to better upper control arm placement and welding than a cast iron carrier. Ok, with that design, I'd have to use a Ford 9" and tune the bushings from there.

Is that inherent to that particular 4 link design or 4 links in general? Could I use an OEM based axle like a Ford 8.8 or Strange S60 with another suspension design or a different 4 link manufacturer?

Any comments greatly appreciated as I've been stuck here in analysis paralysis for a while now.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:33 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

I have systems that utilize your 10 & 12 Bolt or a Strange 9" Housing
Old 04-09-2018, 10:00 PM

Thanks for your reply. Interesting options. I have a few questions:

For the 12 bolt kit, are axle brackets available like the 9" kit? Current 12 bolt axle has modification errors that may require new housing and I'd prefer not to have the leaf brackets.

Is the 10/12 bolt coverpan plate bolted to structure that surrounds carrier? If I wanted to use a F8.8, Strange s60 or something else that fits inside the structure, would that potentially be the only thing to custom fab?

For the Ford 9 or 12B, if I wanted to trade some ride and handling for axle isolation, how much trouble to I cause myself by changing the 95 durometer delrin bushings?

Kevin
Old 04-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Our 10 & 12 Bolt kits utilize the Leaf Spring brackets.

1st pic - what I call the Sandwich Plate - similar for the 12 Bolt

2nd pic - installed in my car

3rd - 9"

Last edited by BMR Sales; 06-18-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:11 PM

I am no suspension expert but I would recommend that you read some of Ron Sutton's suspension posts. There is a lot of discussion on several styles of link rear suspensions available on the aftermarket these days. Some will allow you to use the 12bolt if that is the route you want to go. I have a 12bolt and I found it less costly to buy a new Moser 9" floater than to rebuild the 12bolt. As for link suspensions, Ridetech just recently released a line of link rod ends that are supposed to reduce suspension noise among other things.

https://www.ridetech.com/products/r-joint-en/
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by TheJDMan; 06-16-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:32 PM

From Speedtech

http://www.speedtechperformance.com/...rod/prd613.htm

From Ron Sutton

http://www.ronsuttonracetechnology.c...alog/?page=146