Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 11-09-2017, 12:52 AM

Default 12v ignition

Hey guys I'm looking for a bit of help. I have a 68 camaro with a stock fuse box. I swapped in a ls2 with dual rad fans. Now I plugged into the stock fuse block to get the 12v ignition powers. And today I blew two fuses. And both times the fans were on. I'm guessing to much load. Here is my question even tho it's a 12v ignition does the circuit still pull power while engine is on. . And is there a better place to get the 12v ignition thanks.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:58 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Without any details of exactly how you wired it up, I will say this: you need to check what the fans are rated at for amperage draw. Hook the fans directly to battery power and use a single relay rated greater than the combined amperage of the two to trigger them. If you want to switch them individually, you can use two separate relays each rated greater than the amperage draw of a single fan.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:51 PM

Def need relays at the very least. What harness are you using with the LS2 ?? Stock GM ??
Old 11-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

No way you're going to run TWO - let alone ONE - electric fan off the stock Camaro fuse panel.

As the others stated -- you WILL need to run those fans off RELAYS....

A relay -- is simply a "switched switch". You wire the relay with larger gauge wires - to hot and ground - then the "load" (electric fan) is wired to the relay - and your small gauge "12V ignition" source wire is wired to the 12V + on the relay -- the fourth wire is the ground. You can switch a relay either via the small gauge 12V positive or the small gauge 12V negative.... it doesn't care...

There are very good relays made by SPAL FAN -- you can buy them off Summit Racing.... or where I buy them -- AMAZON PRIME (cheaper and shipped free).....You'll need ONE 30 amp relay PER FAN....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PB4AY8...mstreat_c_sav0

Personally --- I like to wire my relays for the fans and use the temp switch to control them --- but remember -- temp switches - switch GROUND not positive.

So you'd wire the 12V POSITIVE from the relay (small gauge wire) to your ignition source (so the fans would only run if the car was running) -- and the small gauge 12V GROUND from the relay would go to this temp switch. When the car came up to the temp of the switch - the fan would turn on -- when it drops below the fan turns off.... so simple and hassle free.

This is just ONE example -- you can buy these switches in various degrees.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vdo-232-011
Old 11-15-2017, 12:52 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. The fans are connected to a relay. I'm using a stick harness that has been turned into a standalone harness. I believe I need to talk to the guy who did the harness and computer work. Because the fans turn one once I turn the key to ignition. Thanks for all the. Is there a third place I could put a temp sensor for the fans. I'm using the two ports on the heads already.