Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 08-27-2016, 11:14 PM

I have two shifters ...im lost on how damn hard would it be to mill a small relief or groove around the perimeter to maintain either a gasket or silicone
Old 08-28-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous View Post
Do the Hurst and Whilte lightning actually shorten the throw much over the factory tremec shifter? Do they center harder with tighter springs or is it about the same?

Pretty bad these companies have to keep redesigning their shifter because they keep leaking. Figure it out BEFORE you put a product to market.
Throw is shorter. Reasonably firm spring tension.

The first Hurst was acceptable in the OEM (Tremec) shifter location.

Hurst was great to work with, they could have discontinued the product, personally I'm glad they didn't.

How many auto recalls has there been in the last 5 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
I have two shifters ...im lost on how damn hard would it be to mill a small relief or groove around the perimeter to maintain either a gasket or silicone
There's so many factors that come into play, getting optimal mechanical function and tactile feel is a very fine line.

The optional forward shifter position over that gear that's slinging ATF with serious velocity really dictates the need for a mechanical baffle in the transmission IMO.

I'm glad I decided to build a shifter access plate as the 3 shifter changes I made would have required R&R of the trans.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
It doesn't leak there. It's the boot under the shifter that gets hard, cracks, and then it leaks through the shifter mechanism. Tremec will warranty at least one.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 08-28-2016, 06:16 PM

Oh....i wondered because when I pulled mine apart there looked to be a spot that would cause a leak ....someone was being cheap with the silicone
Old 08-29-2016, 01:12 PM

I started a thread a few years ago on this topic looking for ideas, and there was some good information posted in it at the time (should be easy to find with my username). Funny, because I just looked at it a couple of weeks ago.

I just purchased a new version of the White Lightning. Apparently it's on its 5th iteration now. I haven't installed it yet, because it's going to be harder to get to the bolts than I realized. There is a seal on the unit which looks like it should work ok. I get to use the rear location so it's not right over the gears that throw the oil.

One seemingly nice feature of this unit is that there are 2 adjustments on top of the tower which you can use to change the tension on the springs which force the centering of the shifter from the 1-2 to the 3-4 and from the 5-6 to the 3-4 gates.

I've been pretty happy with the stock Tremec shifter to be honest, but when I was watching an in car video from my day at COTA, I realized that my shifter throws were a lot longer than I thought. That got me started on the idea of an update, and thus rereading my old post, and finally the purchase. I really think that if the leak problems are solved (won't know until I try it) that either the Hurst or White Lightning would be nice units with a more crisp feel than the Tremec, but again, I've been pretty happy with the Tremec...

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:19 PM

I have been running the T56 Magnum and selling them for about 3-4 years now. The first version that Red's made leaked like crazy and I was replacing seals truly every other week. They would get hard and crack like dontlifttoshift stated.

I've found that also with the stock T56 Magnum shifter over time it will too get hard and crack the lower internal seal. They simply warranty out the shifter which puts the car down for a bit. It shifts actually pretty good for a stocks shifter. I'd say a little better than the Hurst shifter for the 4th gen Camaro SS.

The Sikky shifter that positions it about 3.75" further back from the rear most position leaked like crazy on its first version also. Being $500 you would expect more.

I've been selling the White Lightning setback shifters as of Q2 2016 and my customers report that it is better than the Red's shifter, a modified stocker, with shorter crisper throws. No leaks yet.... I'll be putting one in my own RX-7 with setback shifter when the 441ci motor is up and running.

1993 Mazda FD RX-7, built LS7, T56 Magnum, Holley HP, Davis Tech TC, 8.8" 3.73 Cobra IRS diff, DSS axles, Ohlins coilovers, big brakes.
CCW 18x11 front 315/30/18's and 18x12.5 rear on 335/30/18 RA1's, 2850lbs
10.31@137mph 165mph Shift-Sector 1/2 mile speed
441ci AllPro headed motor and 200lb weigh reduction in the works....
Old 05-13-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
If it's not leaking yet, don't change it until Bowler comes out with their shifter.
Any updates on a non leaking shifter white lightning or other? I called Bowler and they had no idea what I was talking about
Old 05-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I am subscribing to this one. Seems like the leaky shifter thing has been going on for years now. I have the stock Tremec in the front position for now. As slow as I work maybe someone will actually have a good design when I am ready to drive! People keep mentioning baffles for the front position. Does anyone have a photo of a baffle design that works ?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado80439 View Post
Any updates on a non leaking shifter white lightning or other? I called Bowler and they had no idea what I was talking about

Really? I have installed one and after a few months it is still leak free. I have another one in a box to go on my Camaro.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 05-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

It would be awesome if you posted up the part number and a quick photo of the internal seal.

Scott