Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 05-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,358 Posts

Mario,

I'm interested in what the engine builder (Steve Morris) says about the heat issues.

Skip
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 PM

Mario

I finished my second version of my car about 3 months ago. I did it because like you I wanted to. I built it for a bit of everything. Power (NRE), handling all DSE, custom interior for high end show quality, and huge attention to detail on all the wiring and hoses, stopping with electronic power assisted Baer brakes (good idea with no vacuum control in BB, mine are always strong and consistent) ..... plus great sound and AC.

Pretty much, like your car will be, it was custom done with some great parts from excellent companies.

I do not have TT but I have talked with Tom about it. :-) I have the 632 with about 700 rwhp. I cannot get the temp above 190 even after chasing Kyle around the track at Kershaw at 140 mph for several laps. I have a 1.5 inch tubed AutoRad radiator with double Viper fans.

My car weights 3960 (DSE scale) and it does great on the road course. Balanced at 49/51% with out my big butt in it which makes it near 50/50. When Kyle said he was very impressed I explained it was pure luck! Is there faster, sure, but a lot of that is the driver. I can hold my own as a hobbyist.

Payton King an active member here and a friend drove my car at Charlotte Motor speedway and he was surprised at how well it did.

So I say build what you want. You seem to be like me building a dream car. No specific reason.

I will TT mine one day with NRE so it will go to 2000+hp. Does it make sense, no....can I control all the HP I have now yes but need throttle management. I run 335 rears and can smoke them up to about 50 mph. Do I, no but I still love it!!!

So Mario, logic be damned, build from the heart!!

Cheers
Peter
Old 05-05-2013, 07:14 AM

Mario, if you plan on truly using this car frequently on a road course I would stay away from a boosted combination, you simply can't package a large enough intercooler to manage the heat. I bet if you talk to Stielow he will tell you his car has about 3-4 good laps in it before the IAT's rise enough to start effecting the power output.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 AM

Polly motorsports TA is a boosted bbc with a f3 procharger (check out some of his vids). Its built to run distances at speed like Silver State Classic. I can't comment on my own combo as it is not running yet.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:51 PM

I builted my first turbo engine 20 years ago. The heat is major problem.
As was told, everything will live shorter life, steering joints will stop working, spark plug wires burn in half. Even with wraped headers and booted wires, I had to live with that the center cap of streering wheel got so hot that you cant touch it just by cruising with it in town. Paint will burn off because of the radiation heat.

Pro's: Anyway,it makes unbelivebul rush of adrenalin.

I'm collecting parts for my chargerd SRT-10 engine build, was doing it with TT but after I did the Charger that is in our wedsite, I was sold to twin screw.

Simpler to install, instant power, way less heat and better power delivery at lower rpm's. The Charger made 735 ft lb at 2000rpm.

There is a way to handel the massive heat load, do it like VW (Bugatti) did with Veyron. The car has 10 different radiators. Another way is to use leafgold to refect the radiation heat a way.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
A mild supercharger would be a better option due to less heat. They just aren't as pretty and I get that. If I was going to spend that type of coin, I'd have Stielows engine builder build you an LS9. It would be all the power you will ever need and it's been done.
If Kurt Urban is still building Stielow's engines I'll second that! He is a Guru when it comes to LS engines. He just knows how to make them dance!

I'm late to the party and just did a quick run through the thread. Great points about building the car to do what you want it to do but it seems like you are still a bit up in the air about what you want to do with the car. Pro-Touring is about building cars that are well rounded, well balanced, can be driven on a (near) daily basis, and beaten the crap out of on the weekends. Just do your research to make sure your money is spent wisely.

I'm been looking into Twin Turbo setups for an upcoming project. For the last several years I've done a lot of Supercharged FE stuff so I'm really interested in real world experience on the driveablity differences with running turbos vs superchargers. My clients to date have all been street drivers so I haven't had anything put under the constant abuse of a road course but I try to build them all like they would be with intercoolers, oversized cooling systems, engine oil cooers, steering coolers, and heat has never really been an issue. This upcoming project is going to be a 65 Mustang Fastback with a current plan to power it with a TT stroker Windsor. With the idea of a moderate engine for decent economy and road manners for regular driving with out having to drag a supercharger all the time, but be able to dip into the boost when he wants to get going.

Last SEMA show I spent quite a while talking to STS turbo about their rear mounted systems. I first ran into one of their customers outside with a late model Challenger that claims to have been running their systems since his car was new. First a small system, then upgraded the engine and the turbo system and was claiming 900ish and says he spends time on the track with it. If I remember correctly I think he was even doing the Optima Battery Challenge for his second or third year. He swore by them and their systems. Then heading inside and talking to the guys at STS they of course swear by their systems as well and claim to have customers doing all sorts of racing with their systems and maintaining excellent drivability. They claim no boost lag even with the turbos in the back and of course that would address the excessive heat under the hood issue. I'd like to know if anyone here has used them.

And to play devils advocate...why not supercharge your BBC? Just finished this one up and went to the dyno a couple days ago. 482ci, Vortech V7, Air to water intercooler, XFI system. Put down 820 to the wheels. Plenty enough to get you in trouble.

Only two questions in this business....
How fast do you want to go?
How much money do you want to spend?

1970 Chevelle I built years back as a Lat-G Feature https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=43116

Last edited by Revved; 05-13-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revved View Post
If Kurt Urban is still building Stielow's engines I'll second that!
Brian Thomson is.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 AM

Well it looks like the TT is not going to happen. After really thinking about it and putting the numbers together it just doesn't make sense at this point. The engine cost is one thing but its all the other things you have to do to make this happen that makes you ask yourself if its worth it. I would have to change the rear end to handle the HP (purchased) the radiator to keep this thing cool(purchased) stronger transmission than what I have now I paid good money to have my new T56 upgraded to 1000 hp (purchased). Then its all the extra fab work that has to be done to make this work . I saw what RS had to do to make the hidden headlights work in the 69 they did and that's just the start the list goes on. I'm still sending my engine to Steve Morris to have him go through everything and pump up the hp a little more. Troy has me looking at some other ideas for fuel injection , but I'm still leaning towards the 8 stack. So thanks for the input guys .
Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Good decision....
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 AM

You won't regret it.