Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-27-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug1 View Post
The rear suspension is all DSE. The exhaust if a 3" Pypes system for a DSE Quadralink. Worked very well for me.
http://pypesexhaust.com/i-23437219-7...lnk-sgf15.html
Good to know as that's most likely the next upgrade, DSE Quadralink, the Y88-R will get!

'78 Trans Am - Y88-R LS3/T56,
Holley EFI, UMI Performance
Old 08-11-2018, 10:53 AM

Any updates on your project?

Particularly interested in your engine and your thoughts about how it works in your application.

I have an aluminum IAII block for my '70 Formula and I'm at the point in my project where I need to make final decisions regarding the combo (e.g., displacement, cam, etc). Was planning on 535 and shooting for 700/700 type deal, but in the back of my mind wonder whether I might be happier with something a little smaller (505 or even 440) and a little more tame. These days I value reliability and simplicity over max effort--hoping to avoid having to use a vacuum pump, for example. Ideally, would like to demonstrate that although it may cost a bit more, Pontiac is a good alternative to LS in our firebirds and gtos.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

As always, the car is looking fantastic Doug! You've given me several ideas for mine!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
Any updates on your project?

Particularly interested in your engine and your thoughts about how it works in your application.

I have an aluminum IAII block for my '70 Formula and I'm at the point in my project where I need to make final decisions regarding the combo (e.g., displacement, cam, etc). Was planning on 535 and shooting for 700/700 type deal, but in the back of my mind wonder whether I might be happier with something a little smaller (505 or even 440) and a little more tame. These days I value reliability and simplicity over max effort--hoping to avoid having to use a vacuum pump, for example. Ideally, would like to demonstrate that although it may cost a bit more, Pontiac is a good alternative to LS in our firebirds and gtos.
I don't think the 700 hp number is anything magical. It is pretty simple to get there these days. I'd focus more on driveability, which to me equated to multi-port fuel injection. I've been working on that project for six months and am installing it now. It takes a while to get a custom intake done, though Mark Luhn at Luhn Performance is the man! I was lucky enough to have him supply me an extra manifold like mine, while he did the work so I could still drive the car.

By the time you send one to be modified and get it all finished you're looking at a 4-6 month deal. You can get some already designed for EFI but if you are using high flow heads most won't fit. A standard Pontiac intake manifold flange doesn't even cover the porting on my e-heads. I think a Victor might have worked but I would have lost my shaker in the process.

That's where our LS friends have a tremendous advantage on us. By the time you take a IA2 motor, put the necessary goodies in it and fuel inject it properly, you're looking a more than you could buy a dual turbo LS for with far more reliability and a better design. I put the IA2 in this car but the other one I'm building, which is lower to the ground with a full AME chassis, gets the LS motor with a dry sump.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:21 PM

I've done a few more things to the car so I should throw them in here...
One of the major things I have been working on is adding multi port fuel injection to the car. This 535 Pontiac is pretty stout motor for an old design. Essentially there's nothing on this motor actually made by Pontiac but the basic motor was their design.

The manifold was taken off and sent to my friend Mark Luhn at Luhn Performance. He did the CNC magic on the manifold and you can see some of his work here in these photos.

Untitled by

Untitled by

Untitled by , on

Untitled by

Untitled by

Untitled by

Untitled by

Untitled by

Untitled by

Last edited by Doug1; 08-27-2018 at 10:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug1 For This Useful Post:
fleetus macmullitz (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 10:15 AM

Default Nocturne blue 79 Ta

Doug,
Just wondering if you are going to change out your cam
when you put on the EFI?

I have a 494 Mr2 cv-1 headed Pontiac and we softened
the solid roller to 750 lift from 775...also eased the ramps
slightly but still carbed... it is very stout but at the same time
fairly smooth and easy to drive

Bob
Old 08-28-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteracer View Post
Doug,
Just wondering if you are going to change out your cam
when you put on the EFI?

I have a 494 Mr2 cv-1 headed Pontiac and we softened
the solid roller to 750 lift from 775...also eased the ramps
slightly but still carbed... it is very stout but at the same time
fairly smooth and easy to drive

Bob
Bob,

At this time, I don't have any plans to change the cam. This is a similar motor to yours, though it is an IA2 block 535. It ran pretty well on the street as it was but I wanted more reliability and the ability to see what was going on via computer. The carb was okay but sometimes hard to start and I really didn't like the smell of raw gas at idle. Both of these should go away with this setup as well as some hard cornering stumble issues I had with the carb. I've been advised that it will be a much smoother acceleration and to be careful at first because it will accelerate very quickly without the telltale 4 barrel opening sound. We'll see soon! I'm within 2-3 hours of firing it up now.

Doug
Old 08-28-2018, 11:41 AM

The fuel injection required quite a bit of additional wiring to my custom built harness. I couldn't just leave it as is, since many wires were too long, so I cut, soldered and labeled every wire, installed techflex and labeled most of the groups as well. Here's the ECU mounted with a custom bracket made by Mark Luhn, though I added the rivnuts.
by

I set up two paths for power. One distribution unit is fed by a 100Amp Solid State Relay and the other a 50Amp Solid State Relay with Power Surge proetction. I put all the computer stuff on the surge protected PDU and all the noisy stuff on the other.

Moved a few fuses for the windows, though most fuses are under the back seat. You can barely see the ECU back behind all the relays now. LOL

Last edited by Doug1; 08-28-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:52 PM

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2a3N3Dx]

Throttle body installed

Custom cold air intake now complete with proper fit for the lower TB. This allows a full height air filter to fit properly.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

That's a whole lotta stuff under that hood. Looks great!