Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-27-2018, 11:15 AM

Project really is coming along nicely. I respect your perseverance, patience and attention to details!

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!
Old 05-19-2019, 11:32 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Back at it finally

Well I took a long break from the project, a dangerous thing to do when you are so far along. I keep trying to get back at it, and something like laziness seems to get in the way. Thankfully my friends keep pushing me along, and John comes by on Wednesdays to work on fill and prime to get the body further along.
The exhaust hangs without temporary supports now, and the crazy hanger idea worked, just need some small finishing tasks and fabricate the tailpipe turn-downs

Just having the car back on the cart, and seeing some primer really has been a motivator. I was definitely getting a little burned out on fab work, and any sort of color has been a good thing.

It was a real milestone to get the engine set in the car. I was a little worried that some of the fabricated parts wouldn’t fit, but the exhaust connects nicely, and just a small rub on the intake I think will be a relatively easy fix.

I am starting to work on the little fitment issues, connect all the sensors, and will be trimming and cutting the wiring harness to route everything as cleanly as possible, but not show car clean. I want it to be functional. There will be some MS style connectors to break the harness apart, but I don't know how that will work yet.

Lastly it has been a lot of fun lately. Here we are pretending we dropped the engine on my friend John. Beer may have been involved!

Going to keep picking at the wiring, inlet duct, cooler hoses, everything needed to run the engine. Goal is to actually start it this year and go out with some loud noises!

Scott
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlowProgress For This Useful Post:
Goosesdad (06-16-2020), waynieZ (01-21-2023)
Old 08-11-2019, 10:59 PM

Default Picking away at the wiring !

The plan is to keep putting systems in the car so I can have all the brackets fabbed, holes drilled, and get the engine started to make sure everything works before paint. There is a long way to go, but I have been picking away at the wiring steadily the last couple of weeks, and have a good start with the rough- in.

I decided to put a bulkhead grommet on the right firewall for the pedal harness and all the wires headed to the gauge controller. The A/C is going to get power from the new fuse box in the trunk.

I picked up the battery and mount. Just about have it pinned down so I can start terminating wires, circuit breakers and probably some sort of shutoff, and large system fuse. There is a lot of work to do here and I am pretty tired of working in the trunk so it can sit for a while.

I also ordered a Wegner Serpentine accessory drive. I am really looking forward to getting that on the car because it will make the engine look closer to complete.

Things not worked out yet.
• Where am I going to put all the coils
• Figure out the fan PWM control
• Run all the water, Oil and P/S hoses
• Figure out that huge 4-inch air inlet
• Pick valve covers (sort of related to the coils) haven’t figured it out yet.

I will post some photos when I get the Wegner drive installed.

Scott
Old 06-10-2020, 09:48 PM

Default It's been too long !

I just neglected my build thread and apologize for that. I am going to post up a few times to get caught back up to avoid one really long post. Lost my mom at the end of last year to dementia and needless to say 2020 has been a dumpster fire so far!
The Wegner box showed up and it was a lot like Christmas. Really a well-made product and it all fit perfectly. I had a ton of fun putting it on the engine.

I started plumbing up the oil cooler lines which was also fun, nice new parts are like that! General routing is figured out but need some brackets and guards to complete it.

I was working the mechanicals and my good friend John kept plugging away at getting all the panels cleaned and primed.

Somewhere along the line I had to shove the car outside to clean-up the mess to keep working. It is always nice to see it outside!

Good stopping spot for this post.
The Following User Says Thank You to SlowProgress For This Useful Post:
Roscoe03 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 07:30 AM

Amazing craftsmanship, thanks for sharing! I always look forward to seeing updates on this build. My sincere condolences on losing your Mom.

Link to my 68 Camaro build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Link to my 67 Nova build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57769
Old 06-11-2020, 10:20 PM

Default Catching Up

I picked up the Detroit Speed variable speed wiper kit and finally the Mast Valve covers were back in stock

Working out the steam vent lines, I bought a kit off e-bay because the hoses looked small and it came with a bracket. Still need to modify the bracket since it won’t work with the 102mm intake and probably need to re-make at least one of the hoses.

There is still a ton of work to do on the air inlet, but I need to get all the sensors located so I can start to clean-up all the wiring.

Right about mid-March things changed and I have been working from home since, still getting used to it.

I also realized I could not use the built in P/S reservoir because it was lower than the heat exchanger. Dumb mistake so I had to order and plumb a remote reservoir. Wegner was great they swapped out the reservoir style pump for one with a fitting.

This is a little big but functional (sorta ugly maybe). I may customize it as a later project ..... someday?

I bet you’re thinking I am going to keep posting these and boom the car will be finished. I wish that was the case but probably one more post and we’ll be caught up on the little projects underhood!
214Chevy (06-13-2020), Roscoe03 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 10:51 AM

Fantastic!!

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
Old 06-12-2020, 08:13 PM

Condolences on your losing your mom. I'm glad to see you plugging away on the car. It's coming along nicely. Keep up the good work!

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 06-13-2020, 08:59 PM

Default Catch Can Install

I spent way too much time looking at catch cans. In the end I decided to buy this Radium unit because it looked really nice and had a well-design internal filter. It came with a nice LS bracket that I hoped would fit behind the Wegner A/C unit. The dip stick feature was pretty cool too! I also ordered an optional banjo fitting so I could mess with the hose exit angle easily.

The bracket didn’t fit so I had to make one as usual
I started with a thin mock-up, something easy to cut out.

The thin mockup also had to be modified but it got pretty close then I have a paper template.

I like this photo because it shows how ugly things start out when you hand make them.
Drilling big holes on the lathe because my drill was not powerful, or smooth enough.

Initial fit-up and the finished part next to the original

Added a 45 deg fitting and really happy with the final results

That’s a lot o photos for a simple catch can bracket but it shows the process which may be interesting to some people.
Goosesdad (06-16-2020), WILWAXU (06-14-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 09:18 PM

I have that same PSC power steering reservoir. Yeah, it's kind of big, but I'm going to make it work somehow. When I ordered mine, it didn't look that big to me in the pic of course. Didn't think it would be a problem until you start cramming a motor in your car, then suddenly realize how much space you don't have.