Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-18-2020, 04:21 PM

Default It's been a while...

It's been a while.

I've got the car 99% of the way stripped and I'll be using chassis saver then monstaliner on the underside to stop rust and protect it in the future.

I've been using these scotch brite bristle discs that are insanely expensive but do a great job.

A couple questions for those who have been down this road...

1. I'm taking off the undercoating on the inner rear wheel well using a torch and scraper. This is a really nasty job. Anywhere else on the underside where I should look to remove this before coating with chassis saver and monstaliner?

2. I'm going to be running the mentioned paints up to the firewall but considered doing the firewall as well. Any input or thoughts from those who may have done this?

3. My front wheel wells are still on the car and in excellent condition. I'm thinking about removing them and coating them as well. Thoughts from those who may have done this?

4. Lastly I'm about to scuff and spray the 383. Any heads up on things I should double check are blocked off?

5. I have a 3.70 rear gear and I'd like to order a TKO600 kit. Any suggestions on best companies to order from. I have a quote from American Powertrain, are they reputable?

- What will drivability be like with a .64 overdrive?

Thank you for your help!

Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kwag For This Useful Post:
Roscoe03 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 04:25 PM

Pictures!
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Kwag For This Useful Post:
Roscoe03 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 07:47 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Glad you're making progress. I can only comment of the overdrive. I have a 3.90 rear gear and 27" rear tires. My 2nd overdrive is 0.5 and first over drive is 0.8? or there about. I only use 6th on the interstate. Even then, 5th gear would work just fine. I typically don't go over 4th in the city though the car drives and accelerates in 5th just fine at lower speeds. Personal preference there I guess. Point being, I wouldn't worry about having a six speed. So long as your engine is tuned well, it will run fine in the lower rpms the overdrives will keep you in.

Now, if budget is tight and or putting a 6 speed in a first gen is significantly harder than using the 5 speed, I'd go with the 5 honestly. I had the T56 so there was no question I'd use it. I don't need it at all. Though, it is fun to hear the exhaust noise completely drop away at interstate speeds because I'm scooting along below 2000 rpms.

Good luck.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
The Following User Says Thank You to WSSix For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (09-24-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 09:43 AM

I went with American Powertrain on my 68 Camaro T56 swap and they’re definitely a reputable company. I actually ended up not using a good portion of the kit including the crossmember, hydraulic clutch MC, reservoir, and firewall bracket, etc. I still have it in boxes. Doing it again, not buying those things twice would’ve saved me a considerable amount but I wanted the install to be more “factory” looking so I went with DSE firewall bracket and a newer Camaro style clutch MC and Bowler’s crossmember. I’ve been very satisfied with the parts and service from American Powertrain. Me personally, for the money, I’d go 6 speed, especially since there’s a strong likelihood that you’ll have to modify the trans tunnel anyway to get the proper driveline angle and keep things tucked up tight. With my setup, at 70mph I’m cruising at 2200 rpm with 3.73 gears.

Link to my 68 Camaro build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Link to my 67 Nova build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57769
Old 06-23-2020, 07:34 AM

I have some thoughts for you...

The front wheel wells... The factory sound deadening/undercoating is tough stuff... Leave it if it's in great shape.

Since you're going through all this work, skip the chassis saver and use a 2k epoxy primer to coat the bare metal. It is certainly tougher than chassis saver. Monstaline over that, and it'll last forever.

-Nick
The Following User Says Thank You to nickcornilsen For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (09-24-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 10:12 AM

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing the progress
Old 07-13-2020, 06:42 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Man I wish I could have found a car with a body that nice, I would have been done ten years ago. Nice work.