Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-18-2007, 01:31 AM

its coming along and keep workin at it. Youll get it there someday and really be happy with the reward.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:23 PM

Got a lot done tonight! My wife and I painted the first coat of POR-15 on the front subframe! Tomorrow night we'll do the second coat and then it'll be ready to install the suspension this weekend, and then back on it's wheels when I get the spindles back from being modified for the LS1 brakes by Ed Miller!

I also fabbed up a bracket and mounted the Wilwood adjustable prop. valve. I was going to bend the brake lines tonight, but they sold me the wrong fittings at the store, so I gotta go back tomorrow and get the right ones.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:42 PM

Big day today! I had the day off of work, so my brothers came over and we knocked out a lot on the car. I finally got my welder back from the shop and got the seat support all welded in. We also got the final coat of POR-15 on and a topcoat of Rustoleum semigloss black and then installed it on the car with the new Prothane bushings. Also had to run around town trying to find the right fittings for the LS1 brake booster before I realized I had a spare ABS module in the attic and could get the fittings off of it. I also started working on the subframe connectors and rear frame, I hope to have it all tacked in and mocked up this weekend. I told myself I'd have it rolling by the first of the year, and that could be a real possibility!

We also got a set of Bilstein shocks for the car donated by G-Machine!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:30 PM

Bilsteins donated by G-Machine!

I also got some of the rear chassis worked out. I used the Competition Engineering SFCs with the built-in spring pockets. I measured it all out and notched the drop crossmember 1/2" to recess them in there to make them fit tight. Should be really strong with them set into the crossmember and welded to the floorboard. Don't mind my ugly tack welds.

I also fit the LS1 brake lines to the 1st gen brackets. I just painted them for now, but I'll powdercoat them later. It was pouring rain out and I didn't feel like having a powder cloud floating in the shop while I worked. I also used some stainless bolts on it.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:08 PM

Progress is good! Looks like you could slow the wre speed down a little and possibly turn the heat up a setting, just try to keep most of the heat on the steel not the sheet metal...I know this is a bitch! But play with it as this is structural stuff you are doing here!
Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 AM

I'll try that, thanks! I plan on just tacking most of the structural stuff and then having a local welder I know come over and put a couple passes on it to make sure it is on there strong. I don't trust my welding enough for structural things!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman
OK, here's what we're gonna do with the Camaro we're building for Shawn.

We talked with his dad and found out the car was a 67 Camaro with a 327 and a 4-spd. It was red with some 80's fab black stripes. Shawn knows the difference between a 67-68 and a 69, so we're definitely going with a 67-68 now. I'd prefer a 68 because I like that it has side markers and no vent windows.

So we're gonna build a 68 Camaro, red, with some form of factory Camaro stripe in white. RS hidden headlights, factory spoilers. (some exterior trim and rust-proofing paint thanks to POR-15) We'll have a final decision on the design soon, Hermance Design has graciously donated some design ideas and rendering!

Black interior (seat covers thanks to TA Specialties)

Late model 327 (Gen III 5.3L) donated by Strictly Performance, built by Handcrafted Racing, and wiring and computer by Painless Performance. Show cover thanks to Undercover Innovations.

6-spd transmission, pedal covers thanks to Modo Innovations

Coilover shocks, tubular a-arms, SFCs, (some suspension thanks to G-Machine Racing) and a killer stereo system.

The wheels we have not decided on yet, but I'm thinking a good 17" with a retro vibe. Something good and tasteful.

What my goal is is a good looking, stock appearing car that will be fast and reliable and handle what he wants to throw at it.

Our immediate needs (other than a 68 Camaro!) are an LS1/LS1/5.3L intake, fuel rails, injectors, valve covers, coil packs, plug wires, timing chain, and any thing else like accessory brackets and such. We have the shortblock and heads, but we need everything else to make it work in the car. Condition does not matter, as long as it isn't broken. I am planning on powdercoating everything anyway.
8)

We also need a 6-spd, swap parts, and pretty much anything you might have or think we need.

Thank you all SO MUCH for helping this become a reality. People have graciously donated a lot of money, and a TON of parts and it makes me so happy to see you guys help out to show a deserving serviceman how much you appreciate what he does for every one of us. 8)
Id love to help with this car too- if you think of anythng I can donate/help with - let me know- I know being in Boston doesnt help for distance....sorry.

Chop-Shop Customs Inc.
Woburn MA
classic car restoration,metal fabrication, custom paint
email me
SEMA ARMO Select Committee Member
Old 12-31-2007, 12:30 PM

How about a list of some of the things you still need. Some of us might have parts around we're not using
Old 12-31-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awr68
Progress is good! Looks like you could slow the wre speed down a little and possibly turn the heat up a setting, just try to keep most of the heat on the steel not the sheet metal...I know this is a bitch! But play with it as this is structural stuff you are doing here!
I agree with this, also, make sure your metal doesnt have any paint / dirt / etc... on it before welding... as it is now it looks painted which will have to be stripped off before a pro comes in and welds it up

I bought some metal and played for a day or so with each setting on my welder and made notes of what each speed / heat did and how it affected the weld

Have fun with it, i love learning new things on mine (it is my 1st build also)
Old 12-31-2007, 06:20 PM

Thanks guys! I did strip the paint on it with the wire wheel just along the seam where I am welding. I learned my lesson the first day with all the popping and spitting!

Right now I have a few things I need:
Oil pan for LS1 swap (I have an LS1 pan, but it isn't clearanced yet)
LS1 F-body T56 bellhousing
T56 master cylinder and reservoir
T56 shifter
Dash pad
Door panels
All interior panels
Headliner
Bumpers
Windshield wiper motor, plus arms and everything else.
Exhaust system
Headers
Plugs/wires/coil packs
Stereo system

And tons of other nickel and dime parts that I am forgetting about that will bite me in the ass later!

And I found out today that he is coming home a month early, and possibly even two months early in May! Great news, but now I am in a REAL crunch!