Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydratech View Post
Hi Kevin - bleed the brakes just like you would with any other car - ENGINE OFF. This means that you can bleed the brakes before you even hook up the power steering line set. If you are going to bleed the brakes before hooking up the PS line set, place a towel under the brake unit as it will weep PS fluid out of the ports (as it has been fully dyno tested and is currently full of PS fluid). Note that the one major difference in a hydroboost system is that the brakes will be about a solid inch lower while the system is powered down versus when it is powered up (engine running). I personally prefer to have the PS system lines connected up and the preliminary fill / steer right and left procedure done before brake bleeding - you can even fire the engine up and check for proper power steering operations, but please DO NOT attempt brake bleeding with the system powered up (engine running).

http://hydratechbraking.com/braketech1.html

Here is the statement located in our instructions:

*IMPORTANT! NEVER APPLY THE BRAKES WHILE THE MASTER CYLINDER IS REMOVED, OR YOU MAY DESTROY THE BRAKE ASSIST UNIT BY POSSIBLY OVEREXTENDING THE POWER BRAKE UNIT’S OUTPUT PISTON OUT OF THE PRECISION BORE THAT IT OPERATES IN!

Having the MC installed is the safety stop / travel limiter to prevent this from happening. Imagine a piston popping to far out of its cylinder bore in an engine block (!)

*Perform brake bleeding procedures with the engine off for best results.

You may also dramatically misunderstand what you are feeling with the system bled and the brakes powered up (engine running) at first. I suggest you place the vehicle on a hoist or jack stands, place the vehicle into gear to get the rear tires spinning, then apply the brakes just enough to overcome engine torque of any kind, as this will give you the best idea as to how (little) you actually have to apply the brakes to stop the vehicle. Some people just blaze down on the brake pedal not understanding what they are feeling while the vehicle is sitting still, building 1600 PSI of line pressure thinking that something is weird / wrong (that is until they actually hit the streets!).

Scroll down to the bottom of this old webpage again for reference with the C3 Vette customer's feedback - he completely misunderstood what he was feeling in his brake response at first:

http://hydratechbraking.com/testimonials_old/

Great I will hook it all up first then bleed. Can not wait!!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:19 PM

Looks like I will need to make another fuel line since the new setup is in the pathway of the current set up. .
Old 11-01-2017, 08:36 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Arrow It's always something...

Back when I used to own Unlimited Racing in Detroit eons ago, we always had to discuss how one change always required other changes. Just installing a set of headers seemed simple to a customer, but always required further re-engineering to make it actually happen of everything around the headers. Sometimes a mini starter had to be installed, sometimes a double hump cross member, shorter spark plugs with different boot angles... Same with "just" installing a classic Holley carb - different fuel lines, different linkages, different air cleaner, jetting the carb, moving things around to accommodate the fuel bowls, and on and on and on...

Here is an image of a C2 Vette with an LS7 installed by https://www.streetshopinc.com/, showing how they chose to move the fuel line around the front of the hydraulic brake assist unit and master cylinder:

Hopefully you won't have to get too involved in re-engineering your fuel line!

Paul M. Clark <-- the Ukrainian - Slava Ukraini !
Founder / Master Engineer
Hydratech Braking Systems ®
www.hydratechbraking.com
Old 11-02-2017, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Back when I used to own Unlimited Racing in Detroit eons ago, we always had to discuss how one change always required other changes. Just installing a set of headers seemed simple to a customer, but always required further re-engineering to make it actually happen of everything around the headers. Sometimes a mini starter had to be installed, sometimes a double hump cross member, shorter spark plugs with different boot angles... Same with "just" installing a classic Holley carb - different fuel lines, different linkages, different air cleaner, jetting the carb, moving things around to accommodate the fuel bowls, and on and on and on...

Here is an image of a C2 Vette with an LS7 installed by https://www.streetshopinc.com/, showing how they chose to move the fuel line around the front of the hydraulic brake assist unit and master cylinder:

Hopefully you won't have to get too involved in re-engineering your fuel line!
Thanks, I just need to put it together and measure but the C3 box comes out further thus pushing it very close to the Alternator. I think I will need to go under it
Old 11-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Talking You are the artist ;)

You are the artist, and therefore the vehicle is your canvas.

Design the changes in the fuel line reconfiguration how you see fit as such. With a factory manual brake car, the brake lines are actually longer than the factory power brake C3's, so at least it ought to be easy for you to elegantly massage the brake lines into accommodating the factory power brake MC location further forward - usually the "big red EASY BUTTON" on that aspect. Have you received your replacement 1 1/8" bore MC yet? I'm hoping you can pound this bad boy down the road this weekend!

BTW - Your sign is AWESOME - JUST LOVE IT!

Semper Fi !

www.hydratechbraking.com
Old 11-03-2017, 04:59 AM

Quote:
You are the artist, and therefore the vehicle is your canvas.

Design the changes in the fuel line reconfiguration how you see fit as such. With a factory manual brake car, the brake lines are actually longer than the factory power brake C3's, so at least it ought to be easy for you to elegantly massage the brake lines into accommodating the factory power brake MC location further forward - usually the "big red EASY BUTTON" on that aspect. Have you received your replacement 1 1/8" bore MC yet? I'm hoping you can pound this bad boy down the road this weekend!

BTW - Your sign is AWESOME - JUST LOVE IT!

Semper Fi !
Thanks the MC came yesterday and the sign does get individuals attention. Remember there is nothing stock on this car except the body.

Last edited by vstol; 11-03-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Talking Stock body?

The body looks pretty heavily "massaged", so I wouldn't call it stock by any stretch! But is sure does look great - love the paint scheme.

www.hydratechbraking.com
Old 11-04-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
The body looks pretty heavily "massaged", so I wouldn't call it stock by any stretch! But is sure does look great - love the paint scheme.

true
Old 11-04-2017, 02:39 PM

Paul PM sent
Old 11-04-2017, 06:41 PM

I will say that the Hydratech mounting plate is machined very well and looks great. I hope to have it mounted tomorrow.

Last edited by vstol; 11-05-2017 at 09:22 AM.