Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 06-20-2015, 12:59 PM

From the description of the type of performance you want, a conventional 5.3L or 6L with a custom cam would be a good bet. An engine can be cam'd for low end grunt, and peak hp at a desired redline.

A good guy to talk to is Chris Straub of Straub technologies. He does custom cam's for a lot of people.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:23 AM

While a run of the mill 5.3 or 6.0 may be plenty adequate for my ambitions, it is not what I am necessarily after.

The camshaft controls the timing events that move a mechanism. And while you can custom tailor the camshaft to achieve just about any result from any mechanism, I want the actual device, the mechanism itself, to be tailored for what I want.

You can cam a normally high revving short stroke engine to produce all its torque as early as possible. Is the motor itself built or designed for low end torque, no, but you can cam it that way.

You can cam a stroker motor for top end power, too. Is it designed for high rpms, no, but you can cam it that way, if you want.

I don't really know how to explain my thought process on this. Maybe I'm just wrong or confused. Maybe it's just ego or pride, or some petty desire to be a unique and special snowflake. I don't know.

I know I care about torque more than horsepower. I know I care about what is going on in normal rpms more than what is happening in the final few revs before you burn your **** up. And I know that I have not a single care about what my peak numbers end up being.

The aggressive vvt cam from comp cams says its operating range is 2000-7100rpms. That should be just fine, and it still gives me 20 degrees of cam phasing. Which will automatically make it more streetable than any non-vvt cam, and driveability is a huge part of all this. And I can't really rev any higher than 7k rpms without going dry sump, which I am not willing to do, so there's no reason to give up vvt.

I am still going to check out Straub, it's always good to know who can make a good custom bumpstick. So thank you for passing that on.