Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-04-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Safe Start

When I worked in corporate America, we had many different safety programs over the years, but one stood out, called Safe Start. Safety is a behavior that you have control over..... the gist of the program was broken down like this....
Eyes on Task, Mind on Task, Line of Fire, and Slips, Trips, and Falls.
Watch what you are doing, focus, Keep your mind on what you are doing, getting distracted has bad consequences (texting and driving) Don't put yourself in the line of fire. You have to think about what could go wrong here, lifts, jack stands, floor jacks, etc. and slips, trips and falls. Every incident that occurs, can be attributed to Your state. You were in a hurry, frustrated, tired, or complacent. Then an Error was made, and ouch, or worse. If you can change your behavior and think less events occur. You don't stand in front of the car when you know the guy pulling into the bay has brake problems, do you? Be aware of your surroundings.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2018, 09:24 AM

Default Here's your sign

We had a contractor doing some iron work. He was low bidder. In four months OSHA wrote him up four times. Each inspection would find him using angle grinders without a guard. When I confronted him and told him he would be removed from the job if it happened again he laughed and then he pulled his shirt down from around his neck, to reveal a nasty six inch long scar from just above his collar bone down. He explained to me how we was using a seven in grinder and the abrasive wheel broke, slicing into his neck, he almost bled to death before they could get him help. He was let go that day........ Uh Here's YOUR sign!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:36 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
I actually had the cast iron ratchet part of one of my jack stands break off dropping my enclosed trailer on the ground while I was repacking wheel bearings. After collecting my thoughts and accessing what happened I scrapped all four stands. I now have a set of Snap-On jack stands. F*** that Harbor Freight junk!
the only ones I trust have a Pin

but the best thing is my 4 Post Lift!
Old 12-04-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
the only ones I trust have a Pin
I hear ya! And I only use them if I can't use cribs. 22 Ton might be overkill though, hahaha!

70 Firebird Esprit, 400 TA clone type "The 14 car"
lab-14.com
Old 12-04-2018, 11:06 AM

I've had a few "ut oh" moments in the shop and they have been eye openers for sure.

My closet call ironically came when trying to get a 5 hp briggs engine on a tiller to start. It had flooded and I used a 1 gallon plastic pail to drain the gas from the carb into while I fixed the needle and seat. It still wouldn't start so I pulled the spark plug and checked it for spark by pulling the starter cord. Gas blew out the plug hole, hit the spark on the plug and ignited setting the gas in the pail on the floor ablaze almost instantly.

Thankfully I knew right where my hand held extinguisher was and got to it without even thinking and got the blaze out quickly before it could spread to other flammable stuff close by. I now keep WAY more handhelds all around the shop...just in case.

Someone mentioned 4 post lifts above...I'll also add that I was always much more concerned about a car or truck falling on me with my two post than I am now working on my 4 post. Just have to make sure if the car falls you aren't in between the car and the ramp is all.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:26 AM

I know this lift subject has been beat to death but it is an important topic as more home shops are being equipped with lifts. I have worked with both two post and four post and I have never felt comfortable working under a two post. My best friend owns a auto repair service and he has both styles. He has gotten to the point with his two post lift that he places a steel support brace under the front or rear of the car to stabilize it while in the air. I personally have a four post in my garage and would not consider a two post. With the addition of a bridge jack I can do anything I need to do. I know the two post opens up the entire bottom of the car but I will deal with the four post ramps in order to gain the extra stability.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"
Old 12-04-2018, 02:12 PM

A lot of good tips here. Gonna have to look into this check in apps, and this friend thing too. Maybe i can teach the dogs how to dial 911?
Old 12-04-2018, 09:57 PM

Not sure if it's in here but anytime I have a wheel off a car I take the wheel and put it under the car .... if the jack or jack stand collapses the car lands on the wheel you might be skinnier but alive lol
The Following User Says Thank You to raustinss For This Useful Post:
BMR Sales (12-05-2018)