Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 10-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I only have this to say....

HOLLY CRAP!!

Okay -- First thing after SEMA - I'm going hunting for ANY fuel issues like this! Between now and then I will be sleepless in Seattle...

Thank goodness it's winter here - and I have time between now and Power Tour to modify.

Maybe we'll get a chance to talk at SEMA and I'll get a better idea of what I'll need to do -- and order a new Ricks Tank or whatever (I currently have a SS version from Rock Valley).
Old 10-25-2009, 07:35 PM

I'm amazed some propeller-head aircraft engineer didn't use a jet pump in an automotive situation long ago - aircraft have been using jet pumps in their tanks for over 40 years. Ours serve 2 purposes - 1 is to get all the fuel in the tank and sump areas (we use several due to all the low spots in tanks) - and 2 is to mix all the fuel and water in the tank so the water always stays suspended in the fuel and burn.

So that got me thinking, does anyone use aircraft style tank flapper doors to control fuel slosh in the different chambers of Lat/PT style street fuel tank ?

I've looked at many fuel cells being built for street type cars and they just use partial walls with holes or passages to restrict the fuel during laterals. In aircraft tanks we use a flapper style one way blockoff that closes over the opening in the the dividers/passages.

Example: the inboard tanks (against the fuselage) are where the pumps live. The outboard tanks usually gravity feed through holes in the tank walls into the inboard tank to eliminate extra pumps and tubing. But, the flapper valves close when the aircraft changes attitude to stop fuel migration back to the outboard tanks.

I wonder why we haven't used those aircraft parts to control fuel levels in a 'sump' area of our street tanks to control migration and sump starvation ? Or have I missed it and someone already does use them ??

I can post up an illustration of the aircraft valves if someone wants to see them.

Jim

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=5109
Old 10-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I only have this to say....

HOLLY CRAP!!

Okay -- First thing after SEMA - I'm going hunting for ANY fuel issues like this! Between now and then I will be sleepless in Seattle...

Thank goodness it's winter here - and I have time between now and Power Tour to modify.

Maybe we'll get a chance to talk at SEMA and I'll get a better idea of what I'll need to do -- and order a new Ricks Tank or whatever (I currently have a SS version from Rock Valley).
I wouldn't worry until you figure out if you even have a problem............... Would be worthwhile to take a trip and see how it goes, even more so if the weather was warm like Power Tour.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 10-25-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Dog 65 View Post
I'm amazed some propeller-head aircraft engineer didn't use a jet pump in an automotive situation long ago - aircraft have been using jet pumps in their tanks for over 40 years. Ours serve 2 purposes - 1 is to get all the fuel in the tank and sump areas (we use several due to all the low spots in tanks) - and 2 is to mix all the fuel and water in the tank so the water always stays suspended in the fuel and burn.

So that got me thinking, does anyone use aircraft style tank flapper doors to control fuel slosh in the different chambers of Lat/PT style street fuel tank ?

I've looked at many fuel cells being built for street type cars and they just use partial walls with holes or passages to restrict the fuel during laterals. In aircraft tanks we use a flapper style one way blockoff that closes over the opening in the the dividers/passages.

Example: the inboard tanks (against the fuselage) are where the pumps live. The outboard tanks usually gravity feed through holes in the tank walls into the inboard tank to eliminate extra pumps and tubing. But, the flapper valves close when the aircraft changes attitude to stop fuel migration back to the outboard tanks.

I wonder why we haven't used those aircraft parts to control fuel levels in a 'sump' area of our street tanks to control migration and sump starvation ? Or have I missed it and someone already does use them ??

I can post up an illustration of the aircraft valves if someone wants to see them.

Jim
Jim,

you up for a science project? We both need fuel tanks and we are not that far apart! We both have ideas, I have Solidworks and a fantastic welder friend! I'm game if you are!

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 10-25-2009, 08:11 PM

Hi Chad !

I don't have the final size of my tank yet - but I'd be glad to do whatever I can to help figure out a design concept that we could use. Hopefully others on the site could lend some design ideas and experience too.

PS, your truck is looking great and you're making good progress !!!

Jim

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=5109
Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 PM

Thanks Jim. Maybe we will make it a class project. I am happy to model some ideas and see what we can come up with. We can post the progress. We'll see if we get any other input.

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 10-25-2009, 08:37 PM

I built this one... but it's OLD SKOOL like Garage Dog was saying -- just some baffles with holes... I LOVE the slosh door idea... where the sump could fill but not empty...

The TIG welding sucks --- One of these days I'll get the hang of it!

But check out that MIRROR POLISH!!! EEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:44 PM

This is NOT for you "track stars" -- this metal is so shiny it's beyond ridiculous!!!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:24 PM

I'll be watching for your post on the baffle design. Very interesting.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynieZ View Post
I'll be watching for your post on the baffle design. Very interesting.
X's 2 -- 'cause I have to build another fuel tank soon -- and I'd love to see what kind of baffles etc...

I'm thinking (which is a bad thing!) that they'd be "similar" to the baffles used in an oil pan... a simple hinge pin - and trap doors... with a compartment in the rear - center of the tank?? So the fuel would be "contained" there... with the fuel pump and or pickup in that compartment.