Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I use Aeroquip.... and have "inventory" of the various sizes so when I buy it I just 'have some'. I use Aeroquip fittings -- I get the cad plated steel versions and BUFF them to show chrome shine! Takes a couple extra minutes but I have lots of time. LOL

Williams Oil Filter Service in Tacoma has every fitting like that you'll ever need.... and the hose too. Or if I'm not down cruising Tacoma I stop at American Hose and Fitting in Kent. If you know what you want - they'll also make them up for you. I prefer to make my own.
Local, I love to hear those words! I'm constantly ordering over the intranet, then sitting and waiting, hate it. Inventory, your killing me .
Thanks Greg
Old 12-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Lenie --

"Local" to me means I walk over to a drawer and open it and take out what I need to do the job at hand.... I hate waiting - or not having what I need. So when I order - I order "extra".... and put some away.

I was a wholesaler when I worked... I'm into "inventory". They used to call me "case lot Greg".
Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 PM

Now how do you make them shine like chrome Greg? Another write up you got lots of time on your hand. So much knowledge should be let loose so maybe we can use it.
I was thinking maybe we should try to get Greg to do a write up a day for us guys! What do you fellow members think?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brans72 View Post
Now how do you make them shine like chrome Greg? Another write up you got lots of time on your hand. So much knowledge should be let loose so maybe we can use it.
I was thinking maybe we should try to get Greg to do a write up a day for us guys! What do you fellow members think?
Funny....

I own a Baldor buffer....

Take your cad plated fitting -- walk over to the buffer -- turn it on -- add some buffing compound to the wheel (I use separate wheels and compounds for steel vs aluminum vs stainless)..... hold fitting to buffer and rotate and make it shine like polished stainless steel!

BUY plain ol' steel A/C fittings -- buff 'em up and they look like you had 'em chromed. Buff before installation - it's easier - if you do this after - tape off the hose!

You get a hose caught up in your buffer --- you will suffer.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:08 PM

I like the idea of buffing the fittings but I like to take it one step further. I usually buy used fittings (poor man's budget), but sometimes I have to buy new and then I strip off the anodize. From there I sand them down to get rid of all factory defects (because they are far from perfect), usually stepping all the way down to 1000 grit paper, before I hit them on a buffer.

I think I have a thread on here with them. I'm gonna try to find it now

I found my original thread, but my work computer won't let me paste the link. Damn firewalls!

http://www.northeastrodrun.com/

Last edited by Northeast Rod Run; 12-01-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: thread found
Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 PM

I strip the ALUMINUM fittings and buff them.... But not the cad plated steel versions used on PTFE or A/C hose. Those I just buff up.

To strip the aluminum fittings I dunk them in CRYSTAL DRANO....(sold at Lowes and Home Depot for about $3 a can) added to water in a smallish plastic bucket... I hang one at a time on a bent piece of welding rod... and then dip in clear water bucket to neutralize. Clean 'em off - dry 'em off and buff till you can see the food stuck between your teeth.

WARNING: The crystal drano has a wicked gassing off - DO NOT GET YOUR FACE ANYWHERE NEAR THIS STUFF.... I put the smallish bucket OUTSIDE on concrete wall -- use a 3' piece of welding rod -- and keep my distance and use latex rubber gloves...

When you get the mixture of Crystal drano and water "right" -- the fittings will actually BOIL... trust me -- these bad boys are stripped in SECONDS not minutes or hours or days.... This is a dunk - swish - check - another quicky dunk - and into the rinse bath. I use a clear plastic bucket so I can SEE the boiling action and see the anodizing coming off. Leave this in too long and you'll ruin the fitting.

EEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 12-02-2010, 06:51 AM

WOW!!! Thanks for all your help I will look into the other line as I was going to use rubber. and yes great write up
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM

Whats the next write up Greg? Great idea there on stripping fittings and buffing by the way. Wanna do write up on brake lines stainless steel of course and flaring poor mans budget or maybe something on wiring or any other subjects you want for us?Thanks again for sharing some knowledge ! Brandon
Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brans72 View Post
Whats the next write up Greg? flaring poor mans budget...... Thanks again for sharing some knowledge ! Brandon

Here's some good advice on being a "poor man" in this hobby.....

Marry better next time.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Here's some good advice on being a "poor man" in this hobby.....

Marry better next time.

Amen to that!

Great thread guys! Lots of great info...I started tackling my lines over the weekend and my thumbs hurt! This provided some good insight on how I should be doing it!

1970 Skylark Convertible Pro-Touring project- on hold