Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 12-27-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Amazon and the likes hold a gun to Fedex and UPS's head when negotiating new contracts\discounts...include returns for free or next to it or don't get the contract.
Amazon is the devil and are doing more harm than WalMart did to small town mom and pop businesses. The difference is they’re hurting more than just small business.
I’d rather spend more and wait an extra day or two than give a dollar to that machine. **** Amazon.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:50 PM

It's free enterprise and it's an entrepreneurs job to figure out how to add more value to the consumer than the competition. Amazon nailed it as they are filling two huge needs:

1. American's buy junk, more junk, and even more junk. Many times with money they don't have. Amazon is like an all you can eat buffet.
2. American's are extremely impatient and they want it NOW.

I don't personally shop on Amazon like I used to. I like to touch many things and support local businesses when I can like you do.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:47 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Those free returns are not a good thing for any of the parties concerned..except the entity getting the return back themselves. UPS, Fedex and any party involved in getting those returns back into the shipping system ALL loose money on them.

Amazon and the likes hold a gun to Fedex and UPS's head when negotiating new contracts\discounts...include returns for free or next to it or don't get the contract.

WOW!! GOOD INFO Lance!!
Old 12-28-2017, 02:29 PM

Fedex and UPS used to hold a gun to my head and make me accept the free return drop offs at my store as a way to get them into the system. 75% of the foot traffic thru my retail store came in with pre-paid labels and never left a dime on my counter. I used to pay UPS $20 a week to stop by my store every day and pickup drop off packages with prepaid labels on them...and I very rarely EVER shipped any UPS packages on my own account.

It's a messed up system top to bottom.

I've been smiling every day since I closed that store down back in Sept 2015.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:10 PM

No one guarantees my business survives any given year, competitor attack, or economic shift, etc. We must adapt and persevere. We all do if we own a business of any kind.

I despise Jeff Bezos but I love the business of Amazon and the disruptor role they play. Why should I feel sorry for FedEx or UPS or anyone else? I don't (not saying any of you do, I'm just saying).

Just like Uber.... do any of you feel sorry for the traditional mafia taxi cab companies?

LOL

I do feel sorry for the mom and pop main street type businesses though that are hurting in small towns like I grew up in. My mom still scolds me for using Amazon as much as I do. Sorry Mom.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 12-28-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
No one guarantees my business survives any given year, competitor attack, or economic shift, etc. We must adapt and persevere. We all do if we own a business of any kind.

I despise Jeff Bezos but I love the business of Amazon and the disruptor role they play. Why should I feel sorry for FedEx or UPS or anyone else? I don't (not saying any of you do, I'm just saying).

Just like Uber.... do any of you feel sorry for the traditional mafia taxi cab companies?

LOL

I do feel sorry for the mom and pop main street type businesses though that are hurting in small towns like I grew up in. My mom still scolds me for using Amazon as much as I do. Sorry Mom.

A buddy here is CEO of a high tech import company ---- what they did was to set up a division that sells via Amazon..... said they were just killing it -- and that while it's harder to gain some traction -- Amazon offers training and all manor of "aid" to get you up and running....MOM AND POP Kettle are capable of doubling or tripling their business if they'd get on the wagon instead of slowly wasting away.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
A buddy here is CEO of a high tech import company ---- what they did was to set up a division that sells via Amazon..... said they were just killing it -- and that while it's harder to gain some traction -- Amazon offers training and all manor of "aid" to get you up and running....MOM AND POP Kettle are capable of doubling or tripling their business if they'd get on the wagon instead of slowly wasting away.
This.

New technologies and advancements must be met and adapted to. Look at telephones. AT&T adapted instead of begged to survive as a land line only company. This is why I'm not worried about companies like Disney who a lot of people say is not doing well because ESPN is sucking. I believe Disney will adapt to the new way of watching TV via streaming or online content. Will Comcast and other ISPs work on trying to become content providers and not just carriers? Or, will another Hulu, Netflix, or Prime show up to fill in the void before ABC, CBS, or NBC move to online only/streaming content? Will Coke survive the attitude change towards healthier products? Altria?

I don't have the answers. I'm not that smart. But, I do look for companies that have adapted to the changing tides in order to stay relevant and alive. Look to the future because its ever changing and will be here before you know it. You don't have to be at the forefront but you can't ignore the obvious changes.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims

Last edited by WSSix; 12-29-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
This.

New technologies and advancements must be met and adapted to. Look at telephones. AT&T adapted instead of begged to survive as a land line only company. This is why I'm not worried about companies like Disney who a lot of people say is not doing well because ESPN is sucking. I believe Disney will adapt to the new way of watching TV via streaming or online content. Will Comcast and other ISPs work on trying to become content providers and not just carriers? Or, will another Hulu, Netflix, or Prime show up to fill in the void before ABC, CBS, or NBC move to online only/streaming content? Will Coke survive the attitude change towards healthier products? Altria?

I don't have the answers. I'm not that smart. But, I do look for companies that have adapted to the changing tides in order to stay relevant and alive. Look to the future because its ever changing and will be here before you know it. You don't have to be at the forefront but you can't ignore the obvious changes.

Egg sack lee!

Sears?

Postal Service?

Kodak?

Blockbuster?
Old 01-04-2018, 07:49 PM

I remember we've discussed Marijuana stocks etc with the legalization movement growing. What happened today with our rat looking AG is exactly why I won't go near them for some time to come. I'd love to invest in that industry as I believe it has value, but not until it's truly free and legally safe.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 01-04-2018, 09:34 PM

The mechanical company I used to work for was investing in the grow industry pretty heavy. It’s all cash based around here with banks not willing to loan, yet. The company would finance the mechanical equipment and installation for the operation with a higher % rate than normal, 35-40%. These were short term loans, typically 12-18 months and were often paid back ahead of schedule. With permitting and ordering the equipment often the loan was paid as the start-up/commissioning mechanic was leaving the building.

I have two friends that are well out of the city and they’ve put up pole buildings on their property that are rented to growers. One is a commercial nursery and you’d never know what’s going on in the buildings out back, hardly any daily traffic. The other dude has his lil hot rod shop and a couple “storage” buildings on what looks like farmland, last I checked his income was only the rent off the two buildings.

Money to be made if you have the money to front.