Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > How To's, Tips, and Tricks
User Name
Password

Old 06-30-2014, 05:56 AM

Default 15 How to Make Car Fiberglass Parts videos

I know most of you guys consider anything that's not metal unworthy for your Yank tanks, but if you ever wanna know how to work with the hairy stuff I'm sure my tutorials will interest you. I guess if this is blasphemy though, the forum editor will delete this post with the appropriate level of outrage & offense

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...QKJUGFRj4Coh4H
Old 06-30-2014, 01:33 PM

I've watched your videos earlier. And I have done parts and bodies decades also. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

lol, not unworthy at all! There's just something really kickass about being able to craft metal. With that said, thanks for posting the tutorials. I actually have a number of items I want to make out of fiberglass. I may even try making items like a hood or trunk lid eventually. All in the effort to shave weight off the tank.

Thanks

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 07-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

My son has a carbon fiber parts business ---- and while these videos are really fun to watch and very informative --- and I really appreciate the efforts to make these videos.... Welcome to Lat-G by the way! If you want to turn out carbon fiber parts that don't need to be painted and that the weave etc is all perfect --- IT'S A HELL OF A LOT HARDER TO DO THAN THIS...

Just sayin!

My Son's Audi S4 --- and parts for it made by Enlaes.com

http://enlaes.com/a4s4/tnpxn6lfh8ielwewkghyou0nacstz2
Old 07-05-2014, 05:26 PM

Well Greg, as usually you're right

But have to say that it's not rocket science, some could say that it's same as tig welding. Better prep, better results.

I/we have never done parts as just for business point of view or large scale mass production but we have done parts from fiber glass, carbon and composites (aramite) and all without autoclave. Have made parts like dashes, fenders, hoods, -scoops, racing seats, valve covers, intakes, wheel wells, floor boards, full car bodies ans so on. For street-, rally-, drifting- and drag cars.

And as you mae know it's about having right materials and tools. First you have to choose right cloth (right style weaving, thickness) and resin for it. Our molds are not made from chipboard but if you are making one part for 5000$ race car and not to Ridler-winner what does it matter if its weave. In fiberglass parts, how cares if ist little weave, you are going to paint it 9 times out of 10 and it will chance its form from temperature and age.

I think his point is that everybody can start to do some parts for them selfs and not to be afraid to mess. In here, even young tuning boys are making they own parts, even from carbon so that why I first thought to make my car panels from carbon but paint them so that would leave some areas "naked" but the chancedmy mind that will make parts from aluminium. That is something that is not made by everybody.

But then again, I'm looking world from another side of the pond...
Old 07-05-2014, 05:45 PM

Juhani --- I completely agree with you! The videos are very informative and I said so... but they're also very basic... and there's nothing wrong with that either.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 AM

I have worked in the fibreglass industry and have 30 years experience working with the hairy stuff. My tutorials were not designed to teach professionals at the top of the industry today, but rather to encourage the DIY car nut to not be afraid of laying stuff up. Part of this approach was to demytholigise some of the incorrect ideas about working with cloth & resins widely held by the average Joe. One consequence of uploading stuff on You Tube is that there is a world of experts all too quick to pass judgement. This applies on ANY subject!! Some people tell me I "am the man" and others say I'm a dickhead - whether it be a video tutorial on fibreglassing, basic brick laying, or taxidermy. Can both be true, or is the truth (hopefully) somewhere more in the middle? All I know is I have indeed encouraged many young petrol heads all round the world to have a go at glassing though these tutorials, meaning they've done the job I hoped they would.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:01 AM

I watched and learn from the one I watched where you made the racing seat... and learned from it. SO it does work great! And Thanks for that and what you do!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:55 AM

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I have made a few things in the past from CF and glass, always looking to learn new tricks.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:01 PM

My favorite trick is to make my mold out of clay, wrap it in aluminium foil, and glass over it. when finished peel off the foil. Cheap, quick and easy