Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 05-05-2018, 02:37 PM

I'm actually very impressed with how cool the shop has stayed on the real hot days even BEFORE the AC was installed. Insulating the 6" walls was certainly the right call and once I figure out a way to screen the sun out of those (6) 4' x 4' windows it'll really be easy to keep cool.

Now, the house garage, that's another story... It is NOT insulated and the afternoon sun shines directly on the big and little garage doors. It's okay...as long as you don't open the doors or put a hot car in there...but make a run to the store in the afternoon on a hot day and park the car back it the garage when you get home and look out... It turns into an oven pretty quickly.

It doesn't affect the house as it's sealed off and insulated from the house nicely...but I need to figure out a way to get a fan in there to expel the hot air some how some way.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:48 PM

I also found some time to play with the pool lights the other evening...the pool is part of the "shop" right? "D

Old 05-05-2018, 07:41 PM

Nice, but I'm still not putting one in.

My insulators were in this week sealing penetrations and the base plate. I just spent 5 hours air sealing top plates, corners, framing gaps, and tidying up their work with foam. I am insulating the garage. You could always have someone come in and blow in fiberglass or cellulose in the attic.They can blow it into the wall too, they would need to make holes and then patch it. Also, you could foam the garage doors if they aren't insulated.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:00 AM

Some say the heat in the garages is worse with them insulated, the insulation keeps the heat off the cars inside the garage. Thrte is a high and low vent in one wall because there is a gas water heater in there, I'd like to fund a temp co trolled exhaust fan to pit in the high vent...

And Thanks...I think you need one...
Old 05-06-2018, 07:06 AM

I’m low tech so I just leave the garage door open for a while to let the car cool off...

Don
Old 05-06-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Some say the heat in the garages is worse with them insulated, the insulation keeps the heat off the cars inside the garage. Thrte is a high and low vent in one wall because there is a gas water heater in there, I'd like to fund a temp co trolled exhaust fan to pit in the high vent...

And Thanks...I think you need one...
Some people are wrong. ha It will be 110 outside and 150+ in your attic before long. If your garage doors get direct sun, insulating them will make a big difference in the desert.

I'll let you know what I think after mine is done.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:50 AM

My garage doors are insulated and they actually do very well at keeping the heat out (and also pretty well at keeping the heat off the cars inside). The doors are constantly about 2 degrees cooler than the insulated walls right beside them, probably attributed to the outside color of the doors being a bit lighter than the base color of the house.

Don, I did exactly that when we got home last night... It's fighting a loosing battle in the late afternoon though as leaving the doors open lets the sun blast right into the garage.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
My garage doors are insulated and they actually do very well at keeping the heat out (and also pretty well at keeping the heat off the cars inside). The doors are constantly about 2 degrees cooler than the insulated walls right beside them, probably attributed to the outside color of the doors being a bit lighter than the base color of the house.

Don, I did exactly that when we got home last night... It's fighting a loosing battle in the late afternoon though as leaving the doors open lets the sun blast right into the garage.
Yep, our doors face east. They are insulated. I find the garage (which is insulated) stays a little cooler than outside ambient during the day because the insulation between the cooled house and garage is not perfect.

Our house came with cool decking on the roof and power attic ventilators. I was skeptical but the attic stays cooler than any other house I have owned. The roof is dark gray.

Don
Old 05-07-2018, 08:50 AM

Where there's a will, there's a way...

Yesterday afternoon came back from a Home Depot trip in the wife's Jeep...it's 102 degrees outside at 1 pm.

Solution...I just pulled her Jeep into the Air Conditioned shop instead of the house garage. 2 hours later the Jeep was a solid 80 degrees just like the rest of the shop...so into the house garage it went.

AC seems to barely run in the shop and it's even temperatures from one end to the other, within 1.5-2 degrees from the front to back, floor to 16' tall ceiling. Very happy with it's performance so far.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:08 PM

Another milestone for the new shop reached today...I just ordered my lift.

I've taped where the posts and ramps will be out on the floor and I'm pretty settled this is the best fit. I went with the Advantage 9000 XLT with two manual rolling jacks.

https://advantagelifts.us/4-post-lif...Four-Post-Lift

It won't be the two post I had before, but it should do just about everything I need it to do just as easily.

Now I just have to procure an engine hoist and some car dollies to help with the install...might need to recruit a few extra set of hands on install day as well.