Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Man Caves
User Name
Password

Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
so you're trying to say you're not qualified?

Charley and Gwen cut my credit line....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
Greg will you buy me a 918 ? Looking at your shop floor pics from above it looks like you just need a good floor scrubber with the polishing pads. It will keep getting shinier over time.

So let's do this... YOU sell the Toyota 2000GT and loan me the money at 2% and I'll buy the 918 and I'll let you RIDE in it IF I can do a burn out in your driveway. Seems really fair to me.

Floors really are pretty decent -- and after dragging crap around by myself this week - I'm happy they're not pretty.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 AM

Your shop layout looks great Greg...looks like the work should flow pretty well in there.

I might question the compressor placement...depending on how loud it is. Is there anyway to build a little lean to or something outside the back wall and put it outside to cut down on it's noise?

I can't remember, are those floor drains (like in between the lift and compressor) or are those places the floor has been patched? How level is the floor in that area where the lift is?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I've mentioned the Sun Valley Road Rally before -- where they close a section of State Hiway 75 and cars are allowed (if they paid, of course) to run as fast as they can...

#1 --- I'd love to see some of you guys decide to do this event in the future... and, of course, my shop would be available as well as trailer parking etc... and when the house is done (in time for the 2016 event) I'd make that available as well.

I might take you up on that
Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 AM

Shops looking great floors and all!

On the Porch A, is that the exhaust exit on top behind the wealthy occupants?
There was a convertible Ford GT at the Historics that had the same set up, I never asked but ASSumed that's what it was.

Dan
Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Your shop layout looks great Greg...looks like the work should flow pretty well in there.

I might question the compressor placement...depending on how loud it is. Is there anyway to build a little lean to or something outside the back wall and put it outside to cut down on it's noise?

I can't remember, are those floor drains (like in between the lift and compressor) or are those places the floor has been patched? How level is the floor in that area where the lift is?

I have a Kaeser on order... so that will take care of the noise issue.

There's a 1' X 4' drain in each bay (with the appropriate slope) near the front of the shop --- they're installed more to take care of snow melt when parking at the front of the shop -- the other floors are so flat and level that I didn't have to shim the lift.

The only part I don't like so far is the floor where I painted - the machine area - is HEATED - which means I don't dare drill to anchor anything down because I might (I know I WOULD!) hit the tubing. So I'm going to have to come up with a different way to keep them level and steady.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Shops looking great floors and all!

On the Porch A, is that the exhaust exit on top behind the wealthy occupants?
There was a convertible Ford GT at the Historics that had the same set up, I never asked but ASSumed that's what it was.

Dan

YES IT IS -- and it's just the coolest looking exhaust in the entire universe!

Somebody needs to build a CAMARO with that coming out the trunk area!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMike View Post
I might take you up on that

Are you here yet?

Pam and Rudy just left Portland... so will be here late this afternoon with the blown Camaro I rebuilt for them.

The house will only have 3 bedrooms.... I take up one of them... But depending on who shows up - we'll figure it all out.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I have a Kaeser on order... so that will take care of the noise issue.

There's a 1' X 4' drain in each bay (with the appropriate slope) near the front of the shop --- they're installed more to take care of snow melt when parking at the front of the shop -- the other floors are so flat and level that I didn't have to shim the lift.

The only part I don't like so far is the floor where I painted - the machine area - is HEATED - which means I don't dare drill to anchor anything down because I might (I know I WOULD!) hit the tubing. So I'm going to have to come up with a different way to keep them level and steady.

Very cool about the level floors, that is nice. You'll like that nice quiet compressor too.

Did you hit any rebar when drilling the lift mounting holes? I did...cost me a $50 drill bit to get one that would drill through steel and concrete.

I wonder how deep into the concrete the heating tubes are ran? Aren't they generally ran underneath the concrete? If so and the concrete is at least 4" thick...maybe just short anchors will suffice to strap the equipment down?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Very cool about the level floors, that is nice. You'll like that nice quiet compressor too.

Did you hit any rebar when drilling the lift mounting holes? I did...cost me a $50 drill bit to get one that would drill through steel and concrete.

I wonder how deep into the concrete the heating tubes are ran? Aren't they generally ran underneath the concrete? If so and the concrete is at least 4" thick...maybe just short anchors will suffice to strap the equipment down?

I hit ONE out of the TEN holes drilled -- texted Gaetano and he said to epoxy All Thread in -- The lift uses 3/4" "bolts" (in this case Red Heads - 5" long) -- So that's what I did on the one I hit the rebar in. The rebar filled the entire 3/4" hole -- I hit that sucker dead on...

Since this building was built as a heavy metal fab shop -- the floors are at least 7" thick. Usually - the smart thing to do when using bolts like this is to drill through the floor - so that if you want to remove them later - you can drive them down into the dirt... but I never got deep enough to bust thru.

The buildout foreman is coming by today to help me build a shelf for the big ass Mobil sign to sit on... and the one of the builders too - so I can ask them what they think. The building was built by a local guy for his own business and he did a lot of work on the remodel - so I'll also call him this morning to see if he remembers where the coils are. If I knew the spacing out from the foundation and the spacing -- I could drill without worry.

The Kaeser also has a drier.... and that will be a nice addition. Super quiet and makes HUGE amounts of air. Even my commercial compressor couldn't keep up with the bead blaster... I never had to wait for it -- but it ran A LOT when I was blasting something.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I've mentioned the Sun Valley Road Rally before -- where they close a section of State Hiway 75 and cars are allowed (if they paid, of course) to run as fast as they can...

http://www.sunvalleyroadrally.com

Bugatti is a major sponsor of the event and invited every North American customer to bring their cars and run 'em. The event supports kids with drug and alcohol issues... Having nothing to 'advertise' we sponsor this event as well, and we just do so 'in the background' as I choose to do many things like this. So today I got a sneak peek at TWO Porsche 918 Spyders that are in town... and one of the 6 Bugatti Veyrons that has arrived.

#1 --- I'd love to see some of you guys decide to do this event in the future... and, of course, my shop would be available as well as trailer parking etc... and when the house is done (in time for the 2016 event) I'd make that available as well.

This one has the $63K "optional" paint job... The pics with my cell phone are not doing it justice! It was also dirty from having just been driven up from California.

This is a brand new one and was inside for a photoshoot... they've invited 25 potential customers to come check it out - and (if you're qualified or your name is Charley Lillard) they'll let you drive it if you're interested in making a purchase.

Pictures DO NOT do these cars justice --- I personally think it's the most beautiful automobile I've ever seen. They're just spectacular!

Makes the lowly Veyron seem positively ordinary (it hardly is!)

Love that red interior....don't know why?