Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 11-10-2017, 06:38 PM

Default 59 Bel Air Redux..........The Reacher

I'll see if there is some interest in my latest project. I purchased this 59 Bel Air about 9 years ago. It was an original Texas car with 80k on it. It is an original paint, interior and drivetrain car. I wanted to build a nice driver that I would not fuss over.

As of current, it has an LS1, 4L60E, Ford 9", Ridetech coil over suspension front and rear, and 4 wheel disc brakes. It's been a great car to bang around in. My wife and I have enjoyed the car immensely, but my tastes have changed a bit as well as my expectations from my cars. I am sick of 2pc driveshafts and a frame that has the rigidity of noodles. So...............having said that...........it's time to blow it apart for the next phase.

I will keep the original paint, and the overall look of the car won't change much. I'll even see how much of the original interior I elect to maintain. That's where it stops. My goal is to improve the car in these areas.

-Handling. A nice stiff chassis to take the squeaks and rattles out of the car and maintain a great ride quality. Not that I plan to autocross this, there is definitely room for improvement. I am thinking a 12" wide rear tire which may require mini tubs. 10" wide rubber in the front.

-Braking. It stops well now, it can be better. An engineered chassis and brake system will improve overall braking and thus predictability. I'll be limited in brakes as I am going to maintain a 15" wheel so I have no issue with the hardcore 1964 and earlier events. (I'll just keep the hood closed)

-Comfort. Vintage Air HVAC as well as revisiting the seats. I am wanting to keep the bench seats and the overall feel of the interior. Modern foam in the seat so as I feel a bit more "planted" while in it. I suppose there may be some mods to the seat frame so I can get some lumbar support and perhaps a bit better ergonomics. We will see there. LOTS of sound deadener!

-Power. Here is the subject I have been struggling with. My inner cheap speaks LS3 to me.............................my inner child screams LT4! The jury is still out but I am leaning to the LT4.

-Theme. The theme wont necessarily change much. I want a car that looks like it got parked in the mid 60's, and then recommissioned recently. My original vision was a car that could have been parked around Gasoline Alley in mid May of 63-65.

On the docket........................

1. Roadster Shop chassis
2. GM Connect & Cruise power
3. Refinish the underside and engine compartment to the standards of a modern build. I am drawn to the Stielow OE feel and sensibility (sorry if it sounds a bit creepy and stalker like Mark!)

What I started with years ago............

As I write this before I start disassembly.....................

Last edited by NAPA 68; 01-28-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:09 PM

Very cool car. I’ll be following along on this one since I have a 59 El Camino waiting for me to finish my 69 Camaro. Wish mine was as nice as yours.

Don
Old 11-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Sweet!! I will be watching this one too. Lots of pics please.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Cool plan.

I was beginning to think I was the only one on this site with a car that used an entire parking spot. I have a 1961 Impala 2 door hard top with LSX power.

Is it possible to install a Roadster Shop chassis on one of these cars without cutting most of the floor? It doesn't look that way to me.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post

Is it possible to install a Roadster Shop chassis on one of these cars without cutting most of the floor? It doesn't look that way to me.
To the best of my knowledge, the rear floor pans will need to be modified. We also may need to make a new trans and driveshaft tunnel. The driveshaft is going to have to be rather large to handle the power given the length of it. I certainly will post what is necessary.

The fabrication is going to be handled by Topline Design & Speed in North Prairie, WI.

Tim
Old 11-11-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
Here y'all go.....

1) http://roadstershop.com/galleries/1959-chevy-impala/

2) http://roadstershop.com/galleries/tonys-1960-impala/

3) http://roadstershop.com/galleries/wiltons-60-biscayne/

Old 11-11-2017, 11:37 AM

They do beautiful work I love that black 59 .

Old 11-11-2017, 01:04 PM

Selling the old drivetrain by chance? Love the fact that your retaining the orig paint an interior btw
Old 11-11-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrDun71 View Post
Selling the old drivetrain by chance? Love the fact that your retaining the orig paint an interior btw
The engine and trans are sold. I will be selling the chassis and can give a detailed list of what it all has for parts. If that is of any interest to you. The frame is uber clean!

Thanks,

Tim
Old 11-11-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAPA 68 View Post
The engine and trans are sold. I will be selling the chassis and can give a detailed list of what it all has for parts. If that is of any interest to you. The frame is uber clean!

Thanks,

Tim
If he doesn’t want the chassis please send me a PM with the details and a price. Wisconsin is a little far for me but you never know.

Thanks,
Don