Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 03-09-2009, 02:32 PM

Default Another Lurker Revealed

Howdy Guys (and Gals),

Figured I should throw my project out. It's a 1960 Vette that will be on a tube frame, LSx/T56, C5 front and C4 rear suspension, and widening the rear quarters by 2 inches.

Two reasons for me to throw my project out here. 1) So I can put some pressure on myself to make some progress and hit some deadlines, and 2) to get opinions, suggestions, and ideas for theme, colors, details, and how-to's as this group has been there, done that. This is "merely" a garage project and I have to be careful that my ideas don't exceed my meager skill - which is probably more often than not

I've been lurking for some time, already gotten some guidance and parts from a couple vendors. I've also pinged an artist for his ideas and a rendering - hopefully he's not too swamped and can get me some art I can use for some inspiration sometime this year.

This site truly makes me miss my (what else) First Gen Camaro that I put together in the 90's (man that makes me feel old) and the stuff I see being done nowadays makes me realize just how far ahead of my time I was - too bad my experience and skills never caught up.

I'm pretty bad about taking pictures - mostly because I am in a garage and never have enough room and hate taking pictures showing an overcrowded garage - but here's a few to date. Right now I am struggling with details like - I dunno - color. I get lost in the details (best ways to do so and so) so feel free to eKick my eAss and keep me moving. I've been stripping and learned never buy a Vette from an alcoholic (it doesn't do a body good <rimshot>) - the 70's must have been good to him.

Here's a few somewhat sequential pics to give you an idea of where I am today.

There is a long story behind me getting my hands on this car - which has been sitting since '72 ish best my dad is aware. if you think this is bad - you should have seen the rest of the garage - which had about 7 other Vettes (not counting the dozen+ Vettes in the backyard. I wish I was kidding. this was one of the better ones.

This is how it looked rolled in the garage. Please excuse the blown LS block in the corner.

Last edited by Romulus; 03-09-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:40 PM

The first hard decision was to decide on replacing the frame with something a little more modern. This piece is from SRIII motorsports.

With a frame decided on - I found a '02 rollover Z06 that needed a new home. Unfortunately the backhalf is just taking up space. I gotta get of my butt and sell that thing.

Yes - that's a giant hole in the hood from the PO's need for a tunnel ram. I haven't yet determined if a supercharger will fit under the hood without some funky hood bulges. Just one of my many unknowns. I strip paint when I get bored. I usually cry when I find more bondo and glass work that - even I - find amateurish. I'm SO CLOSE to finishing a rotisserie to get it up in the air and tackle another whole perspective.

That's all I got for now. Thanks to all the guys who have unknowingly provided inspiration for me to spend my weekends in the garage. What color should this thing be? Red and black are not colors - unless it's a murdered out black.

Last edited by Romulus; 03-11-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
- unless it's a murdered out black.
There's your answer
Old 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy211 View Post
There's your answer
Now that's gettin' her done. Gotta set a wheels in mind that would work with that?

If anyone is interested in doing some photochops with a couple themes - I'd find a way to get ya some beers or even a few bucks.

Few other details and some questions I have been stuck on:
Hydroboost - could use some help figuring out what MC size to start with.
Vintage Air Gen IV - already creatively stuffed under the dash.
Dana 44 rear - could use a recommendation to do some strengthening/freshening up.
Smoothed firewall except for column.
ISIS Multiplex Wiring harness will handle the switching
Anyone recommend a soda blaster in South Florida?
Seats - no solid ideas yet.
Guages - no idea - steering wheel will block them anyway.
Exhaust - goal is to get too big pipe stuffed through too small a hole through the bumper - we shall see.
Rear wheels - widen quarters and massage inner wells as long as I can keep the soft top.

I found the 3G Art Morrison Vette well after diving into this project - and that's probably the closest I have found to what I visualize. Of course I would be thrilled if I can pull of 1/10th of their execution and would drive that puppy just as it sits below. My hats off to that team.

-R
Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Awesome, keep us posted on your project.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Oh man one of my favorite cars ever was a 60 vette. Drove like a truck, slow little 283 in it but it drove so bad and it was so small it felt like it was going 120MPH at 40MPH. Wind in the hair, white knuclkles on the steering wheel, Oh yeah!

But your curing all those issues!

I will be watching this one.

And as far as soda goes, you need to chemical strip that and re gel coat it, then some quality high build PolyEster Spray filler will set you free.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Welcome...sounds like a cool project!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
Oh man one of my favorite cars ever was a 60 vette. Drove like a truck, slow little 283 in it but it drove so bad and it was so small it felt like it was going 120MPH at 40MPH. Wind in the hair, white knuclkles on the steering wheel, Oh yeah!

But your curing all those issues!

I will be watching this one.

And as far as soda goes, you need to chemical strip that and re gel coat it, then some quality high build PolyEster Spray filler will set you free.
HAHA. The only solid-axle Vette I've even driven was a '54 and it was more like "pointed it in a general direction."

When you say "as far as soda goes" do you mean I should avoid it and only chemical strip? I'm Captain Lee'ing the majority, but was looking to have soda do the areas I just can't do (err lazy what? what?) and get down to clean glass. I agree on the PolyEster filler - but read lots of opinions on gelcoating. Interesting.

I will probably turn the body over to a pro once I get whatever necessary inner body mods done and mock up all the major pieces. I'd like to need less than a tanker truck of PolyEster primer to get it straight.

Don't watch too often - this is a Saturday build with a lot more headscratching than progress.

Thanks for the feedback. Good stuff.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:12 AM

The Polyester can be used, especially if you sand strip it. IF you use Polyester, you need to be ready to pay up for the good ****. Standox is the only one I use. No Feather Fill, G2, none of that crap. Spend the $70 a litre for the good stuff.

Also plan on using SEM Carbon Fill (Carbon Fiber Reienforced filler) in all the seams and larger divot, and SEM No Sell for minor imperfections. These products are not cheap, but way worth it.

This is the combination of products we used on the Prodigy Vette. We changed every body panel on that car and had ZERO shrinkage.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
I will probably turn the body over to a pro once I get whatever necessary inner body mods done and mock up all the major pieces. I'd like to need less than a tanker truck of PolyEster primer to get it straight.
If you are in Florida. Frank (Prodigy Customs) is the guy to see. You won't be disappointed.

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works