Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Lateral-G's "Members on the Scene"
User Name
Password

Old 06-03-2014, 05:08 PM

The video is back to back 20 minute sessions. The last session we let 12 # of air out of the tires. This brought them to our cold pressures, after they had already heated up. Based on the outer wear on the front tires, letting the air out was a mistake.

I need to listen to the video to see if there is a difference in the singing of the tires after we let the air out. Especially the sound on the oval, that is steady state cornering and driver input is less of a factor.

With those pressures we lightly corded the outside of the left front at Inde a couple of months ago. That is the reason I increased the neg camber.
I need to go back to paying attention to tires more than I have been.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I have just recently learned how critical tire pressure is to GRIP and for wear... and how much is too much and how little is too little needs to be MEASURED with a tire pyrometer immediately after each session...

The difference in getting this pressure set "right" is night and day for the handling of the car. I never knew it was so important until I hired Ron Sutton as my "race manager" for doing this very work. That contact patch is small enough as it is - let alone handicapping it with too much or too little psi.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:41 PM

Great video Dale! We had fun out their in Jake's car.. We managed to pull 150 on the Roval.. Pretty intresting on street tires..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale68z View Post
I thought you guys would enjoy this video. This was taken 5 3 14. We were running with Speed Ventures.
There are some famous characters in the video. Starting out you see the butternut yellow 67 Camaro of Tom Foglesong. At about 4 minutes you will see (for a very short period) Jake with his ls7 69 Camaro...he's kinda fast
We ran back to back sessions in this video. It was a 95 deg day.

My car is a 71 Camaro, it is a nothing fancy street car with factory air, decent shocks, nt05's, g braces, and subframe connectors. Engine is a 383, t56 mag trans. 12" 1le front brakes,11' lt1 rear brakes.

We drove the car to the track 6 hours, ran the ROVAL all day then, drove back home 6 hours.

I am talking to my 15 yr old son, who is my passenger. Just in case you thought I was a wacko for talking to myself.

We have ran Pilot Super Sports, Rivals & Falkens on the road coarse & you are right.. Each one of these tires have a certain temperature they are happy on.. These all have been street tires.. No slicks for us due to the events we particpate in..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I have just recently learned how critical tire pressure is to GRIP and for wear... and how much is too much and how little is too little needs to be MEASURED with a tire pyrometer immediately after each session...

The difference in getting this pressure set "right" is night and day for the handling of the car. I never knew it was so important until I hired Ron Sutton as my "race manager" for doing this very work. That contact patch is small enough as it is - let alone handicapping it with too much or too little psi.