Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Lateral-G's "Members on the Scene"
User Name
Password

Old 10-17-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Great picture Sieg, as always.

Besides vintage muscle cars, Porsche ranks right up there. Turbo or not, they're pretty badass cars!
What's cool about that car to me is the overall build quality, the fabricators did a great job. It's also maintained in a over the top manner.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Greg is that the same Porsche you were messin with last time in the Lotus?

Looks like you all had a good time, no drama and everything stayed together...can't beat that!

Yes it is Dan. That was some of the most fun driving I've done on a track. That Porsche - and Barrett's Panoz... and the stinky little Lotus.

One of the issues I'm dealing with now with the so much new and improved Mustang -- is that there are fewer and fewer cars in Green Group to pick on. The cars that used to pass me are now several seconds slower per lap... and following them - or dogging them -- has become boring. There was a buddy in a new Porsche GT3 car that was running Green this weekend.... and I dogged him for several laps - him pointing me by and me waving him off because it was fun to run with him and there was nobody in front to go catch.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:27 PM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
This is a very short video of the Mustang running...Did I ever tell you guys I hate GoPro and video?? LOL -- I suck at this video crap.
I hear ya...brah.

Go old school.
Attached Images

Skip
Old 10-18-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Yes it is Dan. That was some of the most fun driving I've done on a track. That Porsche - and Barrett's Panoz... and the stinky little Lotus.

One of the issues I'm dealing with now with the so much new and improved Mustang -- is that there are fewer and fewer cars in Green Group to pick on. The cars that used to pass me are now several seconds slower per lap... and following them - or dogging them -- has become boring. There was a buddy in a new Porsche GT3 car that was running Green this weekend.... and I dogged him for several laps - him pointing me by and me waving him off because it was fun to run with him and there was nobody in front to go catch.
Greg,

What is the lap time difference between the old setup and new setup? Any video this time? I'm happy to see the Mustang back in action
Old 10-18-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patoke View Post
Greg,

What is the lap time difference between the old setup and new setup? Any video this time? I'm happy to see the Mustang back in action
I've run Thill 3 mile 16 turn config (with the Crow's Nest) at 2:06 and 2:07's

The 5 Mile @ 3:23's

I seem to be fairly consistent at 2:08 and 2:09 and 2:10

As you know - in track day driving - it all depends on traffic. This last weekend at Thunderhill we had 33 or so cars in Green Group - so getting any clean laps was difficult.

The biggest difference between old and new is that I can drive comfortably off line -- and I'm just cruising around when running 2:09's. When Ron Sutton first came on with me I was driving my butt off to get to 2:22's and having a lot of scary "oh no" moments.

Gotta remember I'm running on 245 tires.... and that's the biggest deterrent to lower lap times. These tires only have so much grip. When running with people with big azz fat tires -- I have to step my game up to pass them or run with them.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Greg,

Post #7 in this thread has a very short video of the Mustang running. I truly suck at the whole video thing. Lucky I got this short one even! I just don't think to turn them on -- or set the camera up etc. Mostly because I just don't care to be bothered with the whole camera thing.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Greg,

Here's one when we ran Sonoma in May...... Best lap time was 1:56.something. Remember that I have a "spotter" and a fantastic driving coach. My sessions are about LEARNING vs passing everyone I can. Once I'm told there's a huge traffic ball ahead... and you have a couple laps left... it's a "what's the point" kind of driving. Nothing to be gained just running up into a sardine ball of cars. So might as well just coast at that point and play later on our next session.

Last edited by GregWeld; 10-19-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I've run Thill 3 mile 16 turn config (with the Crow's Nest) at 2:06 and 2:07's

The 5 Mile @ 3:23's

I seem to be fairly consistent at 2:08 and 2:09 and 2:10

As you know - in track day driving - it all depends on traffic. This last weekend at Thunderhill we had 33 or so cars in Green Group - so getting any clean laps was difficult.

The biggest difference between old and new is that I can drive comfortably off line -- and I'm just cruising around when running 2:09's. When Ron Sutton first came on with me I was driving my butt off to get to 2:22's and having a lot of scary "oh no" moments.

Gotta remember I'm running on 245 tires.... and that's the biggest deterrent to lower lap times. These tires only have so much grip. When running with people with big azz fat tires -- I have to step my game up to pass them or run with them.
That's great that you've been able to pick over 10 seconds a lap!!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
That's great that you've been able to pick over 10 seconds a lap!!

There's a LOT more in the car.... but lap times were never the goal or direction given to Sutton. The goal was to be able to run WITH my buddies and have the car be FUN at that level. This is a pretty simple leaf spring car. While we were sprucing her up - we added some safety considerations such as the large race wheel bearings... and to rid myself of pad knock back - added a full floater... bigger brakes etc. The really big improvements came in the form of more suspension tune-ability and settings... FAR FAR better JRi triples...

The biggest part is that the car is fun to drive... totally predictable handling. Neutral. That has allowed the dumbest part of the car to improve his ability.

I think a good driver - Popp - or Hobaugh - et al - are capable of driving the car down in the 2:04's or even better. I'm just not there, and most likely never will be. We only drive these things 3 or 4 weekends per year.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:08 PM

Default Thunderhill

Always good to have a predictable car
Hobaugh was sorted thru a few issues on his
new vette at Crows this weekend... it is good
now and he said he looks forward to running the
Track portion the most at Optima

Bob