Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 02-10-2016, 04:43 PM

Default DSE vs. SpeedTech Performance. . .

Has anyone seen a no BS real comparison between these two companies products???

Like DSE's A-arm set-up vs. SpeedTech's A-arm set-up, or a direct, real world (same car/driver, same tires, same rear suspension so that all you are comparing are the differences between the companies front end packages) comparison between the two subframes (or three now that there is the ExtremeR subframe SpeedTech)?

It's easy to look at the pictures and read the text, but trying to figure out which subframe or suspension set-up you want is frustrating if you can't compare apples to apples. . .

. . .just wondering if anyone knows if such a test has been done.

Thanks!

'97 Chevy Camaro 3.8/M5 coupe
'02 Yamaha R1
'01 Aprilia RS50
'00 Yamaha R6
Old 02-10-2016, 05:33 PM

Super chevy online they have tested them countless times. Mari Pozzi as the driver. Also search this forum alot of info here comparing the 2. If you are really looking for a hardcover race set-up contact Ron Sutton he specializes in that stuff. Either one can go wrong DSE or Speed Tech are bad ass and have a great industry rep.

72 Chevy Nova in pieces trying to rebulid this bucket of bolts (really just a labor of love)

Crew Chief's: Helping pilots get laid since 1947
Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ssnova View Post
If you are really looking for a hardcover race set-up contact Ron Sutton he specializes in that stuff.
I've read (and re-read. . .and am currently re-reading again) his threads on handling and suspension. . .

. . .he helped SpeedTech Performance with the new ExtremeR subframe. . .

'02 Yamaha R1
'01 Aprilia RS50
'00 Yamaha R6
Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 PM

I have Detroit Speed and have in person seen Speed Tech products to include the new subframes...bottom line not apples to apples comparison. Speed Tech does have some advantages to include price, but DSE has a larger product line to compliment their set-ups.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
I have Detroit Speed and have in person seen Speed Tech products to include the new subframes...bottom line not apples to apples comparison. Speed Tech does have some advantages to include price, but DSE has a larger product line to compliment their set-ups.
I would agree at this time not an Apples comparison. if you look at the numbers on paper the new ExtReme subframe is a lot more aggressive, adjustable and uses a much better Rack. (all be it at less profit for Speedtech)

I would just want to question you on that statement? the part about "DSE having more product to compliment their set up."

Speedtech has EVERYTHING you could need including some parts that DSE does not have like oil pans,

I will let you know that we are about to also release a new
ExtReme Torque arm front mount that also integrates a drive shaft loop and subframe connectors. this will be a very good upgrade that really no one else has.

thanks for the props as well
Old 02-11-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
I would just want to question you on that statement? the part about "DSE having more product to compliment their set up."
I was curious about this also. . .I know that SpeedTech doesn't have leaf spring parts (first gen F-bodies), but that is one of the only things I have noticed they don't have. I also noticed the standard UCA's don't have adjustable caster inserts like the DSE UCA's have, but the new ExtReme arms seem to address that.

One thing that I do like about SpeedTech vs. DSE is that SpeedTech offers the ATS spindles as a stand alone purchase. . .the only way you can purchase the DSE spindle is as part of a subframe purchase, but the DSE UCA's have the adjustable caster inserts while the SpeedTech UCA's you can purchase (without buying the ExtReme subframe. . .as of right now anyway) don't have caster inserts.

I'm leaning towards SpeedTech's ExtReme subframe as of right now (although I probably won't be purchasing a subframe until this winter or maybe next winter at the latest).

'02 Yamaha R1
'01 Aprilia RS50
'00 Yamaha R6
Old 02-11-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
I would agree at this time not an Apples comparison. if you look at the numbers on paper the new ExtReme subframe is a lot more aggressive, adjustable and uses a much better Rack. (all be it at less profit for Speedtech)

Speedtech has EVERYTHING you could need including some parts that DSE does not have like oil pans,

I will let you know that we are about to also release a new
ExtReme Torque arm front mount that also integrates a drive shaft loop and subframe connectors. this will be a very good upgrade that really no one else has.

thanks for the props as well

You can practically build a car out of a DSE catalog. They offer everything from sub-frame bushings, PS hoses, headers, mini-tubs, rearends, etc.

DSE's biggest downfall is price. The best thing going for them is the proven track record. The cars perform very well.

I would have bought the Speed Tech 2nd Gen frame, but at the time there was no solid release date. Its all the little preferences here and there.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:28 AM

I forgot about the mini-tubs. . .that's on my short list. . .

. . .I also forgot about all the body stuff (core closeout, hood latch and receptacle, firewall closeouts, etc. . . .

'02 Yamaha R1
'01 Aprilia RS50
'00 Yamaha R6
Old 02-11-2016, 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=badazz81z28;629655]You can practically build a car out of a DSE catalog. They offer everything from sub-frame bushings, PS hoses, headers, mini-tubs, rearends, etc.

Same here, I can sell you almost any part you will need, Engines Transmissions, brake line kits, headers, exhaust parts, Cooling systems, front drives, brakes , wheels, tires, fuel systems, and they are all the parts we USE in our builds so we know what fits and works together as well.

don't tell everyone but I can even sell the DSE mini tubs
Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 AM

I haven't talked with DSE, but I can say the customer service at SpeedTech (at least from my experience) has been FANTASTIC!!!

'02 Yamaha R1
'01 Aprilia RS50
'00 Yamaha R6