Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Classifieds > Parts for Sale
User Name
Password

Old 04-20-2019, 01:17 PM

Default FS: Carbon Fiber 1970-1976 Trans Am Shaker Hood (from Carbon Kustoms)

Item Location (City/State): Austin, Tx

Price: $1500

Description: I have a carbon fiber shaker hood for a second gen Firebird / Trans Am for sale. I purchased this about 2 years ago from Albert of Carbon Kustoms. Albert is, to the best of my knowledge, the only person making these hoods in carbon fiber. This particular hood was installed on one of Albert's projects. He removed it and offered it for sale, and I picked it up.

Unfortunately after dealing with shipping (from Canada to the US, not cheap) and test fitting it I discovered that the bottom-side structure which mimics the original metal structure interferes with my custom oil tank for the dry sump. Needless to say, I was not happy...

I've been sitting on it for a while as I decided what to do, but I've finally decided to let it go.

The carbon weave in this particular hood is not perfect, so you won't leave the entire thing exposed carbon. That said, I think it's good in the area where you might create a stripe (for example). I planned to paint it, so I wasn't concerned. It also has a pair of Aerocatch latches installed at the front which would use pins mounted in the radiator support. I don't have the pins, but you can purchase them as replacement parts without buying the whole kit (or the whole kit is only ~$65 from various sources).

This thing is very lightweight, amazingly so given its size. I have a VFN fiberglass hood, and I've had both of these on and off my car many times. I'm always amazed as how much lighter the carbon is vs. the fiberglass... Both are obviously WAY lighter than the original steel...

I strongly prefer for this item to be picked up in person. Shipping would have to be via truck freight. If someone wants it that way, shipping will be completely your responsibility. I do have a box that my VFN hood arrived in which I think I can re-use, but that will take some effort on my part to make happen... We can discuss options for a serious buyer.

I snapped a few pictures which I'll post below. There's not much more to say or show, it is what it is: a very hard to find, very lightweight hood which would be a great addition to any project. Highly disappointed that I cannot use it...

Price is $1500. Given what I have into this thing, that's a bargain and is firm.

Pictures below... (apologies for the large size, appears that Imgur stores them in the original size. at least you can't say that I didn't show detail! )

Old 04-23-2019, 03:27 PM

Sold pending payment arrival...