Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-30-2019, 01:41 PM

Default Insurance "Agree Value" vs. classic insurance appraised value

I'm trying to consolidate all my insurance policies and curious how much I can expect to get hosed by my insurance company (USAA) if I opt to add my 1968 Camaro to my existing policy vs. keeping my Hagerty 'agreed value' policy in the event of a total loss. Have any of you had your classic restomod totaled by your insurance and if so did you feel you got a fair payout? Realize this can vary widely based on the insurance company and their appraiser, but just trying see if in general people have got a decent valuation.

thanks,
-Adam

1968 Camaro SS
Old 04-30-2019, 02:52 PM

I don't see how you would ever want anything other than "agreed value" on a custom car/hot rod or a boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to ilikeike For This Useful Post:
ADY (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
I don't see how you would ever want anything other than "agreed value" on a custom car/hot rod or a boat.
thanks, that's what my gut is telling me, just wasn't sure what more seasoned classic cars owners have experienced.

thanks!
-Adam

1968 Camaro SS
Old 04-30-2019, 05:17 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Doesn't most classic car insurance companies ask you how much do you want to insure the car for? Wouldn't that be "agreed value" so to speak? As long as it's not some outrageous amount like $250k for the super-builds, they don't ask for anything but 3-4 pics of the car from all sides/angles. If asking for a value of...let's say,$30K...then they don't ask for appraisal reports, receipts, etc. I insured my Camaro for $60k and they asked me what warrants that amount and to justify said amount. So, I emailed them a few receipts. At least this has been my experience with Grundy and Phoenix, a local company here.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:53 AM

I use state farm. Had to get appraisal then we used that number as our "agreed value". In the event of a total loss, they will pay out the agreed amount.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:28 AM

I would stick with agreed value, but move away from hagerty. if you read the fine print, they would prefer you never drive your car. grundy is better than hagerty, I used safeco because they had no mileage restrictions.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:47 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
I would stick with agreed value, but move away from hagerty. if you read the fine print, they would prefer you never drive your car. grundy is better than hagerty, I used safeco because they had no mileage restrictions.
Right!! I have Grundy on my Chevelle and Phoenix on my Camaro because they were cheaper than Grundy. LOL!!

Old 05-01-2019, 09:59 AM

I have a customer with a super high end camaro built like 5 or more years ago by a fancy builder. It was super expensive.

The owner had some kinda insurance that he had to call and activate the policy when he drove the car. It had some mega hp twin turbo engine.

Well the car had been back to the builder quite a few times for repairs and redesign of some things. And this time it was back at the builder and they were out test driving the car and some how lost control of the car and it hit a guard rail and burned completely to the ground. Like unrecognizeable. A complete and total loss. SCARY

The owner was notified a day or so later and on the following Monday found out his insurance would not cover the car at all. Multiple reasons. So far the shop that was test driving the car in their possession had proper insurance but it has been a fight and of course the insurance company is looking for any way to reduce the value of the car. The owner of the camaro has been grilled by an investigator wanting to see if the owner of the car is hurting for money or anything they can find to lower the value or get out of paying the claim. The owner just wants his car back or his money back.

Its a terrible situation. And when the dollar amounts get really high so does the fight to pay the claim.

Do your home work and pay the money for the insurance you want. Insurance companies ideally would like you to pay your premium and they never have to pay the claim and when and if you have a claim try to get you to settle for the least amount.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,457 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4u2nvss View Post
I use state farm. Had to get appraisal then we used that number as our "agreed value". In the event of a total loss, they will pay out the agreed amount.
That is not true. You agreed to a number they use to set the cost of the insurance. It is NOT a guaranteed payout though, they can still look at comps and adjust accordingly. Look in your policy for the words "actual cash value".

State Farm doesn't have a true agreed value policy, it is stated value. Stated Value is coverage that reflects an amount that is “stated” at the onset of the policy. You tell your insurer what your car is worth (with proper documentation) and it is insured for that amount. The caveat here, however, is that the insurance company can choose to pay you either the Stated Value or the Actual Cash Value, whichever is less.

Alternatively, Agreed Value, coverage primarily offered by specialty insurers, is based on the proven value of your car as determined by you and the insurance company, according to appraisals, photos, or other relevant documentation. With Agreed Value coverage, the insurance company will guarantee that they will pay this agreed-upon value in the event of a covered total loss.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camcojb For This Useful Post:
RdHuggr68 (05-04-2019), Spiffav8 (05-09-2019), vdrivinmike (05-08-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:06 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevelle View Post
Doesn't most classic car insurance companies ask you how much do you want to insure the car for? Wouldn't that be "agreed value" so to speak? As long as it's not some outrageous amount like $250k for the super-builds, they don't ask for anything but 3-4 pics of the car from all sides/angles. If asking for a value of...let's say,$30K...then they don't ask for appraisal reports, receipts, etc. I insured my Camaro for $60k and they asked me what warrants that amount and to justify said amount. So, I emailed them a few receipts. At least this has been my experience with Grundy and Phoenix, a local company here.
Depending on the Company, when the Amount is discussed, it could be "Agreed" or "Stated" value and that needs to be clarified. Agreed is the only way to go.

As far as claims go, I had a Claim on a Totaled Car about 15 Years ago. I got the Total Agreed Value.