Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 07-21-2005, 12:34 AM

I LOVE that car....

200mph isn't a question of power and rpm without wind resistance.

I'd like to BE ABLE TO challenge that car against my low-buck turbo car. I know I could never compete with the fit/finish of that car, but bring my blow-thru carb's 406 twin turbo against that car and it will be my muscle against his finesse (and muscle) .

That video is AWESOME!!!! BTW. The Mule said " SEE YA!" Vive Camaro!! I wish there was vids after the twin turbo conversion.

(Okay, somewhat fixed)

Last edited by Y-TRY; 07-21-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:41 AM

If i remember, that has wind calculated in it. heck my N/A 243ci car runs 211mph so far (should hit 225 in a month), just depends on what you want to do with it.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-TRY
I LOVE that car....

However, I say "Bring it!" 200mph isn't a question of power and rpm without wind resistance.

I'd like to chellenge that car against my low-buck turbo car. I know I could never compete with the fit/finish of that car, but bring my blow-thru carb's 406 twin turbo against that car and it will be my muscle against his finesse (and muscle) . I've finally built my car to be right-up-there and I am willling to prove it.

It's just because I feel a since of accomplishment with my car and am so confident that I'll call Chralie out with the Mule.

Win or lose, I feel okay about being a challenege. Dyno/dyno or track/track. Bring it.
Rough it with me.
Ooohhhh.... Dem'z fytin wurdz...

Lemme get my tape measure so I can start on the casket now. Just kidding.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
I LOVE that car....

However, I say "Bring it!" 200mph isn't a question of power and rpm without wind resistance.

I'd like to chellenge that car against my low-buck turbo car. I know I could never compete with the fit/finish of that car, but bring my blow-thru carb's 406 twin turbo against that car and it will be my muscle against his finesse (and muscle) . I've finally built my car to be right-up-there and I am willling to prove it.

It's just because I feel a sense of accomplishment with my car and am so confident that I'll call Chralie out with the Mule.

Win or lose, I feel okay about being a challenege. Dyno/dyno or track/track. Bring it.
Rough it with me.

That video is AWESOME!!!! BTW. The Mule said " SEE YA!" Vive Camaro!! I wish there was vids after ti=he twin turbo conversion.
That dyno is loaded to compensate for wind resistance, etc. So if you do 200 mph on it you'll likely do 200 mph on an open road. Plus it has a few things to keep it on the ground at speed that you don't.

Methinks you've bitten off more than you can chew. You're going to need 1000 HP and a car that is geared for it and can stay on the ground at that speed.

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 07-21-2005, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbugger
Ooohhhh.... Dem'z fytin wurdz...

Lemme get my tape measure so I can start on the casket now. Just kidding.
I'm a rough-neck street-racer. I easily get all-ruffled-up. I admire the Mule and both Mark Stielow and Charlie Lillard. I met Charile once and thought he was a really cool guy.

Last edited by Y-TRY; 07-21-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:41 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfytr68
Very cool. what was the actual top speed during the simulation?
/Steevo
The dyno got an "Overspeed Error" at 200 mph

Jan
www.protouring.se www.carphotos.se
Old 07-21-2005, 01:42 AM

Making the power to push our "old bricks" to 200 isn't a very difficult task anymore with all the options out there. As Jody said, the trick is keeping the car in contact with the pavement at that speed. It's terrifying when the nose of the car gets so light that the steering wheel no longer seems connected to the tires. Factory spoilers or not, Camaros and their 1960's barn-door aerodynamics and lift instead of downforce will likely be terrifying at such speeds. It may not be a Camaro, but I've pushed my car up to 175mph running side by side with a friend's Viper GTS Coupe and I wouldn't do it again-- I got a very good look at the bright light and I don't care to see it again anytime soon. Yes, it was that scary. I think you'd have a very similar experience in a stock-bodied Camaro with no Aero trickery.

I've been just under 200 in a car before, but it had the aerodymanics to handle it (Ferrari F-40.) A much more stable and in-control experience, at least when I was driving. I was a very uneasy passenger going that fast.

My tires may be Y-rated to 186mph, but I know what would probably happen if I tried to reach/exceed that. Think of a flying car a-la Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, but without any flight controls. I suppose at that point you could use the doors for rudimentary yaw control...

My suggestion, for your own sake, is to keep the talk of 200mph just that: talk. Unless you want to call the FAA and get a tail number assigned...

Troy

Last edited by Blown353; 07-21-2005 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:03 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Default Car

Alot of cars will do 200mph. But like Jody said keeping it on the ground is another thing. A car going that fast is going to want to FLY with any chance it gets. You have seen those Nascar cars go flying with just a tiny bump. I would never want to be in a car going 200mph on the street, that just sounds terrifying. Not that Charley would do it, my money is on the MULE.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I wish there was vids after the twin turbo conversion.
I believe those videos were after the twin turbo conversion since they are from 2005. Listen to them spool up as he pulls away on the highway.
--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign
Old 07-21-2005, 11:08 AM

Ya know... sometimes I hit the town and come home to post on boards. Then, like today, I wake up and smack my forehead. I sure wish I could delete that post!! Did I just call out The Mule?!

200mph is CRAZY talk. You guys know of my 70-130 burnout and how the car lifts at even that speed. 200 mph is a serious aerodynamic challenge. I think my trim will fly off approaching that speed. I'd need some real wingage for a jaunt like that.

Great videos, BTW. I love that car to pieces!