Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 06-26-2008, 12:46 PM

I charge according to project, whether it's a straight drawing or we're trying several different paint schemes or wheels, or if it has several views to show motor parts, suspensions etc. Price ranges from $250-$750 typically. That's a pretty wide range so knowing more about what you're after would help get a better bid.

How about this-

Since there is a pretty good price range for art even amongst us here, how about let us know what exactly you're needing and what your budget for the project is and then we can PM you with a bid. Nice thing about this is you can mark it up a little and include it on the build tab for the car. I'd think if a guy was about to unload $50,000+ on a hot rod $500-$1000 for an original rendering he gets to hang up in his living room is a drop in the bucket.

My SRD Renderings Instagram page

My SRD Renderings Facebook Page

Pumkinator '79 Cutlass Wagon Build
Old 06-26-2008, 01:34 PM

Okay, this is the rundown....

Quality...............Completing a job and doing it well (customer satisfaction)
Style.................Artists personal Style
detail.............. ..add-ons, clarity,level of realism
views.................how many views (front, side, rear, engine, interior, etc.)
customization......Designing unique features to a concept (Body, paint,
interior, etc.)
Multiple Changes..Multiple changes can add a considerable amount of the
artists time. Therefore, price can go up. Call artist to
work out all project details. The more thorough and detailed
you are as to what YOU want the more accurate
the outcome!
Budget...............(A BIG factor) Will determine the level of detail you will get
and the time spent on project.

Supplying the artist with good detailed Photos can help speed up the project and keep price from climbing. Otherwise, much time is spent getting reference photos for the project which is usually not always factored in payment.

Make sure you give the artist all details before they even bid on the project.
The one thing that most of us dislike is a client adding on continuously and expecting the same price.

The quicker the turn around the more the cost goes up!
Example: "I need this within two weeks and I have two body views, one engine view, two interior views with one being a digital dash! I want 4 color combos too."
The more pressure on time constraints the more the artist will have to charge.

Well, there it is in a nutshell.

Anyone want to add to this?

- DV

Email for DV

vierstradesign.com
Old 06-26-2008, 02:00 PM

I think everybody has about covered all the bases. I do kind of like the bidding idea. The only problem is what style is the customer looking for? There are many artists here to choose from. It would probably be good to get in touch with a couple.
http://mlomaka.wix.com/lomakaconceptdesign
Old 06-26-2008, 03:51 PM

I'm new to this forum, but I've been designing cars for eight years now and have experienced everything from people who know exactly what they want and don't give me any leeway to be creative, to people spending the price of an average California home on their build and want every little item designed from a hand fabricated body to an intricate bracket. I can tell you that there are "standard" prices that I have for a typical project, but there are a myriad of variables that can change the prices when someone wants to build a show stopper. Usually if I know what the person expects from the project (style, time frame, if they are going for a prestigious award, or if they just want a driver) I'll cater the pricing to the job because I know how involved I'll be. If I have a client that wants a complete one-off body created, there is a lot more work than "just" a rendering because I have to visit the machine shop, metal shaper, etc to make sure the end result looks like the drawings. If a guy calls me on the phone and says he has a 69 Camaro and he wants to see it orange with a black stripe and big wheels and he's 2000 miles away, he may only need a rendering and a couple of sketches.

My suggestion is to look at who is available, look past our "technique' or "style" and look at the actual designs themselves and the person who's designs reflect your tastes is a likely candidate. Also think about what you expect from him or her. If you just want artwork, any of us will fit the bill. If you need specific advice on your build or need a designer that can go visit the project and make sure it comes out as planned, pick someone who is located near you or your builder, and look at some of their projects that have become finished cars and see how well the art translated to the finished piece.

One note on price: If you go to an artist to have them paint a portrait, you pay for their talent as it is applied to a canvas. When you go to a designer, no mater how cool his or her renderings are, the rendering is a tool. It is a roadmap that gets you to the end result of a finished car. It is alot more than just ink on a piece of paper, it is the ideas, talent, and experience of the designer that you pay for. It is much cheaper to make a mistake or change your mind on paper than it is in metal!

Chris Brown
Old 06-26-2008, 04:24 PM

Well said. There is a difference between someone who can color and one who has a good understanding of good design and understands the aftermarket industry. From what I've seen there are some great 'designers' that post here.

My SRD Renderings Instagram page

My SRD Renderings Facebook Page

Pumkinator '79 Cutlass Wagon Build