Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 07-02-2013, 10:42 AM

Default 1968 Camaro Console Gauge Swap Out

I own a 1968 RS/SS Camaro and purchased a new gauge pod from Camaro Central (item # CON-129 "Console Housing Assembly with Gauges"). My question is... Has anyone bought this same assembly and can tell me how to transfer the wires from the original gauges over to the new ones? Is it just a matter of taking the existing wires from the harness and transferring them to the new gauges or is there more to it than that? I asked Camaro Central if there were instructions available for this swap but was told they don't have any. I would think that some kind of instructions should come with the gauge pod just because not everyone out here knows exactly how to swap out these gauges. The new gauges are from AutoMeter and are for Volts, Oil, Water Temp & Fuel. I would appreciate any help that I could get in hooking up these new gauges to my existing harness.

Thanks, Mark
Old 07-02-2013, 05:45 PM

I would contact Autometer's tech dept. they are pretty helpful and get a wiring diagram of your dash wiring. Good luck
Kevin
Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Default Wire color codes

From my experience these swaps are pretty easy with instructions, but without them will cause you some headaches. Does your car have gauges already and if so are you just changing to upgrade?

I have installed a couple of these kits and they usually come with a conversion diagram. Also the Autometer gauges also use there own sending units and not the factory ones. So make sure you have these also.

Here is low down on your wire colors. Someone else may have a diagram handy but this will help you for now.

On all GM's of that era the wire for the lights is grey
I believe you will have a couple pinks down there. one should be for your gauge key +12v this same pink is used for the volt gauge the other one is for the reverse lights if you have a floor shift automatic.
The temp is dark green
If I'm not mistaken the original oil pressure is mechanical so you wont have a wire unless it is for a dummy light then it would be dark blue.
The fuel gauge is light tan or brown.

Let me know if this helps.