Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Which is the better beast??
Stock -- LS7 -- 505 hp. 43 58.11%
Built -- LS2 -- 550 hp. 31 41.89%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2007, 04:28 PM

I would go with the built up LS2 myself. Dry sump may be a bit of a hassle, eventhough it would be pretty sweet.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Supporting Member

How much again is a 500rwhp LS2?

I am going with an LS3. The new stock crate LS3 engine from GM is ~$5900+accessories, and with a rather mild cam I will be making 500rwhp with a very nice TQ curve. IMO, the best factory LSx engine besides the LS7.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

I've been asking the same question, LS2 or LS7. It's a tuff call. I still haven't decided yet but I still need to talk to Tyler about it.

For now I'm going to vote LS7, but I suggest you call ATS and see what Tyler has to say about and get all the pros and cons up front.

Let me know what you decide.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 11-05-2007, 04:11 AM

what did you end up going with....

my vote is still, LS7 if you leave it alone, once you get into cam change and such the warranty is voided, and you can get the same power cheaper from a built to your specs LS2.. like a HO L92 from Mast... more power 540, better idle (variable timing), less money (11.2K including ECM).. still under warranty! .. or their 427 L92 at 14K..
Old 11-05-2007, 06:46 PM

Cuz of the dry and wet sump set up, I would go with the LS2, but I would call taylor with Mizfit Motor Sports a Later-g sponsor first (lets support sponsors first before we seek elsewhere is my moto). We could build you a much better 400+ with more power cheaper then turnkey and probably equal or better quality...

see the following and PM Taylor

Taylor Day
913-558-1100
www.mizfitmotorsports.com
[email protected]
"Ouroboros" www.fquick.com/Mizfit
Your Source for LS1 Crate motors
LSX Strokers: LS1,LS6,LS2,LS7,L92, GM LSX
347,383,402,408,414,427,454 coming soon 500+CID

Blessings,
Old 11-06-2007, 07:28 PM

Well i havent come to the engine purchase JUST yet..

ive found a LS7 with 4000 miles on it for 7500.. i might scoop it up.
it was taken out for a LSX motor..
Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous Type

There's your answer! Do it.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 AM

Theres a guy on ebay selling modified ls3 with a 6 speed all new stuff with harness and ready to run claims thay make over 500hp easy for under 10k look it up sounds cheap and the guy is cool he answered my emails instantly, or if you want any ls type motor built call wegner automotive (920)394-3557 (they build bush and alot of other race series engines) ask for Carl or Dan they basically started all the carburated ls stuff they build everything and make killer hp can set it up with fi or carb and they make all front dress detroit speed sells it but they'll hook you up if you get a motor tell them telly sent ya.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyv
Theres a guy on ebay selling modified ls3 with a 6 speed all new stuff with harness and ready to run claims thay make over 500hp easy for under 10k look it up sounds cheap and the guy is cool he answered my emails instantly.
I buoght a combo from him. I can only say that he is a really nice guy doing buissnes with. I recomend him strongly!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous Type

That's the route I went. Found a 5000 mile takeout for cheap and then sent it to Katech for a full build. From my own experience I would offer this advice (1) if possible, have a dealership inspect the engine in the car as it is - That way if there are any warranty issues to deal with you can get them taken care of before hand (I did that and found issues with 2 pistons) and (2) when you buy a cheap takeout be prepared for some potential repair costs.

In my case I came across a dude on LS1tech who was taking an LS7 out of an 07 Z06 at W2W for a twin turbo setup that was being built from the ground up. Kurt emailed one morning and said that he thought the engine had a rattle cold at start up and had a dealer take a look at it. Said dealer eventually wound up replacing two pistons and suggested that the failure may have been a result of detonation (nitrous). Buddy denied ever having spray on the car. It was always my plan for Katech to do the Street Attack build so I sent it over when it was (eventually) done at W2W. During the inspection and machining of the block, Katech found one valve guide that did not meet their specifications as well as some deformation between two cylinders (minor, machinable, but there none the less). Their conclusion - detonation, probably related to nitrous.

For me, not a big deal since I went into it with the intention of a full rebuild. If I had bought it and planned on dropping it in with the assumption that it would run (hard) forever as is - it would not have happened.

I definately don't regret doing the deal - heck, it allowed me to build what I wanted for what a crate would have cost but my suggestion is, if you go that route, have your eyes open on your way in. You have to figure that anyone throwing an LSx in and taking an LS7 out already knows the upper end performance of the LS7.

Just my 2 bits. Good luck.
1969 Camaro - Dusty