Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-11-2016, 08:19 AM

Congrats Lance on nailing it on your 2nd run (my quickest as well) and getting the first win of our season in CAM C!

And do I agree, the mental aspect of this game is wildly understated and is more often than not the difference between a good day at the track and one that disappoints. Especially when you look back at the last couple seasons when the spread between the 3 of us has been less than 4 tenths on many occasions.

For me, it's time to put last weekend behind me and charge forward. See you next weekend.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:32 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

The element starts around 2:18 and runs to about 2:23 (this would be the time showing on the 3rd run) or so.... when you're on the throttle vs choosing to "coast" thru....

Just sayin' -- LOL
Old 04-11-2016, 08:34 AM

Thanks Patrick, love racing with you and Keith. Wish he could have made it out yesterday, that would have been really interesting.

I'm sure you'll be back up top very soon...so I'm going to enjoy this win for as long as I can though.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
Lance, Car looks and sounds very stout. You are dead on with the drivers, it's hitting the same spots and the right spots every time. Nothing will help the car more than seat time.

Any action photos from the weekend we could post?
Thanks Ryan! No pictures posted yet but I'll let you know when they are. I know there was a photographer out on course for my heat.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
The element starts around 2:18 and runs to about 2:23 (this would be the time showing on the 3rd run) or so.... when you're on the throttle vs choosing to "coast" thru....

Just sayin' -- LOL
There may be a bit time to be had there, but that isn't what I'm talking about.

The thing about pushing hard there is if you screw up, you pay the price ALL the way through the slalom and that kills you...so I tried to tip toe through that section most of the time.

Here were the actual times of each run for reference:

44.611 clean
43.543 clean
43.377+1
44.629+1

I knew I had locked up the win after the second run so I got more aggressive on the 3rd and 4th runs. Both times (forgetting about the cones) I blew the same two sections.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:46 AM

Well when you put the camera on the other side of the car, hitting those cones became a lot more noticeable

Congrats on the win Lance!!!
Old 04-11-2016, 08:02 PM

Here's how I analyzed the runs, others may see it differently though. My first run I hit every element pretty cleanly, I was just a bit reserved not quite as aggressive as needed for a great time. It was my safe run. The second run again I felt I hit everything pretty well with more aggression. There was probably a tenth or two left here or there mainly with shorter lines getting closer to cones and a bit more throttle...but still not bad.

With that on the books I got aggressive and on the next two runs I completely butchered both the start\first turn element and the gate before the finish. I found I could get way more grip off the line than I was used to and while trying to really get a good jump, I'd mess the entry into that sharp lefthander up. Huge loss of time there. Then I'd just get way too aggressive on the long sweeper and carry too much speed into the finish, locking the brakes up trying to stay on course.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:07 PM

Nice job Lance (with everything). Love seeing the new setup, more importantly, looks like its paying dividend's too.....cheers..

mike
Old 04-11-2016, 08:26 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I was just guessing - because it's really hard to tell when the whole run looked pretty good to me.

One time when I was watching an autocross with a whole bunch of really good "X'rs" -- I could see one driver that just couldn't get thru the one corner -- it was real obvious that the line was wrong compared to the others. After watching for awhile... I gathered up the guts to go tell my friend that the line was slow and "here's what everyone else is doing". BINGO.... Time dropped the very next run.

I'm sure when in the hot seat - it's just hard to figure out every friggin' corner every time. I know I can sometimes and other times I continue to just keep trying different things until it "feels" better. Then Sutton tells me I suck. LOL
Old 04-11-2016, 08:41 PM

I'm more of a "feel" driver than a technical driver. I know guys that pace off corners, pace off slalom offsets, they know at what MPH they can make this corner and that corner. Then you see them after a run with their face in a tablet looking at the data from the run planning how they'll make changes for their next run.

For me, that's too much info...too much data going on inside this simple head. I have to rely on muscle memory and my gut and hope my hands and feet do what my gut wants them too. There are 30-50 different elements that a driver has to place their car correctly into in 30-50 seconds usually and with the SCCA anyway, you get 3 or 4 shots at it...that's it. Those that learn, adapt, and put into play the quickest...usually win.

Sutton is always saying to me, what's the car need? Is it loose...is it tight...on corner entry...roll thru...corner exit??

I always say..."It needs the driver to quit screwing up!!"

I can make this car loose, tight and dern near perfect...usually purely on accident.