Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 05-29-2018, 10:09 AM

I guess it's time for a little bit of a shop update.

I've been working on unpacking the little things and finding ways to put them away in an organized manner. My OCD might be kicking in just a bit here but I can't help it.

I picked up some louvered panels that the Akro bins hang on and have sorted all of my hardware out by size and type. These will hang on the wall by the lift, out of the way but still easily accessible.

Here is a picture with Barney's door wide open while on the lift. This shows the room available between the lift and the wall.

Everything getting sorted out on the worlds most expensive workbench...

You can also see there that I've moved the tool boxes up to the front of the lift. I picked up a second 72" rolling bench which is on the back side toward my office area.

It's a mess in this picture but I'm starting to get it pretty workable... I'll pretty it up and put things in the permanent place once I finish the shop area.

A bit of the OCD madness...

I liked the panels and bin setup so well that I ordered a few more which will be here this week. These should let me finish putting up everything on the "bench" in a way to keep it neat and tidy but still very easily accessible.

I also ordered some steel Locboard and hangers to hang some of my tools and such that just won't fit into the benches. I haven't decided yet if I'll hang those under the LocBins or somewhere on the opposite wall.

I re-purposed a steel office supply cabinet I brought with us into a storage cabinet for cleaners, paints, and oils and such. It fit on the wall right in between the two overhead doors.

The AC has been working great. Typically I've been coming out and opening up the back door of the shop and turning the fan on when I get up and letting mother nature cool the shop down then about 7:30 am or so I'll shut it up and turn the AC on about 78-80 degrees. It hardly runs at all until about 11 am or so then cycles for about 5 minutes or so every 30-40 minutes. Our electricity gets expensive at peak times 3-8 pm so I've been shutting the AC off at 3 pm and leaving it off the rest of the day. The shop actually stays pretty comfortable for a few hours after event with temps in high 90s outside. I'm impressed with how well it is insulated for sure.

Saturday I put roller solar screens up on the (6) 48" x 48" windows on East and West side of shop and they have helped a TON!. Today is my first day back in the shop with them installed and so far can tell a big difference in heat soak. They still let light in but almost zero heat.

This picture shows where the morning sun is shining in thru the solar screened window. Before the part with the sun shining on it would be 15 degrees hotter than the shaded part...now...they are the exact same temp.

That's about it for now, once I get the rest of the bins in and up and everything put back away I'll post some more "finished" looking pics...
Old 05-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

WOW!! You're cranking right along there Lance!!!
Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 AM

Looks awesome Lance. At my previous business, that's how we stored nuts and bolts in the Akro bins. Works good, easy access and affordable/expandable. Although, you sure you have enough metric? That is a "metric chassis G-body" after all!
66 Corvette, Spirit of '66
Project G-Vette
Old 05-29-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
WOW!! You're cranking right along there Lance!!!
Thanks Greg! Sometimes it feels like one step forward, two steps back but I'm getting there!! Can't wait to start working in the shop...not ON the shop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65_LS1_T56 View Post
Looks awesome Lance. At my previous business, that's how we stored nuts and bolts in the Akro bins. Works good, easy access and affordable/expandable. Although, you sure you have enough metric? That is a "metric chassis G-body" after all!
Thanks Aaron and lol!! To be honest, most of those metric fasteners in those bins are ones that came off of my G Body and were replaced with something SAE!!! Or extras left over from trying to attach something aftermarket to the chassis or body...

I have a habit of bagging up any leftover parts and pieces from projects (to do something with later). I found bags of stuff left over from projects on Barney going back to way before I ever started racing it. The bags brought back the memories from the "electric fan install" or the "GTO seat install" projects. Most of what I have been doing the past few days is emptying those bags out and sorting the hardware in them and putting them into the rest of my hardware.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:08 PM

So after my initial trial run with the louvered panels and bins...I decided I needed more of them. I also decided that the center of the panels needed an additional 2 screws to compliment the 10 screws around the perimeter of the panels. When really loaded down the center of the 48x24 panel would pull away from the wall a bit.

Before

After

I did this on all 4 panels now in my possession.

I also decided that trying hard to line the holes up on the studs wasn't necessary as the mollys held just fine in the sheetrock. So since I had the first two panels down, I rearranged how they hung to be a bit more eye appealing. Here they are hung along with the 2 Locboard (pegboard) panels I also picked up.

I picked up Triton's 63 piece assortment of pegs because I have no idea what all I'll need but I needed to start somewhere. Here they are hanging on (2) 18x36 panels.

I'm sure I'll need more and different pegs as I go along but this was a good start.

And here we are with (145) 5x5 bins and (12) 11x11 bins full and on the wall...

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It makes use of the wall space there where not much else could go, is very organized which will make finding the hardware in the bins super easy and should help keeping the rest of the shop neat and tidy.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:19 PM

it appears you are well hung, lol

My 68 Torino
Old 06-01-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
it appears you are well hung, lol

I think you're right Joe!! Don't think I've ever seen anyone with such well hung nuts.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Had the first "customer" in the new shop yesterday for an oil change...

Felt good to be wrenching once again in a real shop...even if it was just an oil change.

It went so well in fact that I decided to maintain my other driver as well...

Oil changes for EVERYONE!!!!

Working on the drive-on lift is different than the 2 post I'm used too but so far everything is just fine. It's nice to have a "shelf" nearby to put things and with a little bit of finagling was able to get to everything needed just fine. Next job is pulling the third member out of the rear axle on Barney for inspection so that'll be a bit more involved... Will update how that goes once it happens.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:43 AM

In my shops --- I've always had a large RubberMaid 4 wheel cart to put stuff on while working under the lift.....

How many times have you bumped into the ramps.....
Old 06-06-2018, 01:13 PM

Fantastic!

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320