Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-01-2018, 01:16 AM

Default Delete post Pleae

I've always wanted to start a build/project thread but I normally do not take photos while I'm working on cars until now.

I have a history with go fast parts with my later model Camaro and Corvette. I have for the most part always tried to do all modifications/repairs myself with an exception to tuning and some bodywork. I sold both my Camaro and Corvette when our little one was born, too little time for both at the time.

About a year ago my wife said I should get a hobby so I started shopping around for a cool car and saw lots of first gen pro-touring style cars with late model engines and it caught my attention. I built my previous 96 Camaro over a 10 year span then sold it so I could get a Corvette. The Corvette was already built so there was not much fun and satisfaction with it and I ended up selling it, plus you cannot fit 3 people in it. So about 6 months ago I purchased my 68 Camaro with a "rust free" body to start building what I like.

My goal is to make this car something fun to drive, dependable and just cool. Kind of hard to make it unique since its a first gen Camaro but I'll try with the drivetrain. The car will mostly just be for driving around and possibly autocross events if I work up the courage. I'll probably take it to the 1/4 track a few times as well.

Below is a photo of the car when I got it. It's a BBC with a 700r4 and 9". The 9" is narrowed but the wheel backspacing is short so they stick out strange, I'll correct this soon. Mirrors are a little off too.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by jasonz28camaro; 10-01-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:58 AM

I know this is not a how-to and its been done numerous times but I enjoy and learn off others builds so I'll include photos along with as much useful/useless info that I can provide and answer any questions along the way.

First on the chopping block were the mini tubs.

I started off by removing the rear seats and side trim. This is all relitivly simple to do and the only special tool I needed was the window crank remover but others can do it with a screwdriver.

Next was the trunk Dynamat. I wish I read into this a little more prior to starting this project. This stuff it tough to remove if you don’t know. I used a heat gun and came up easy with an exception to the tar left behind. I only removed what was needed at this time and covered the sticky side with masking tape. The tape came off pretty easy when it was done. People say dry ice is the way to go when removing this stuff. I may try this later when I remove the entire trunk Dynamat.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:05 AM

Next thing I did was remove the rear.

Empty now with plenty of room to work

The fuel gauge did not work and I never checked the sending unit but this explains everything. I'll need to purchase a new sending unit harness to reconnect this wire with the screwcap.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:24 AM

First thing I did was remove the DS package tray reinforcement per DSE instructions. This seemed to not be needed but did make it easier to do. I did not remove it on the PS. Then I went on removing the inner wheel well paint to expose the spot welds. Spot welds suck...
[IMG] [/IMG]

Next I cut out the inner wheel well and trunk floor/frame per the DSE instruction and use their template so I could mock up the new tubs

Old 10-01-2018, 03:54 AM

Now I had to close up the frame cuts and add the plate. This was somewhat of a paint getting decent penetration welding paper thin metal to 1/8" plate but I made it work slowly stitching away. I know a great deal about welding but I do not call myself a welder, I'm a hobby guy that likes to weld. I own a tig welder and I borrowed my buddies Miller 180 for this task, it works great.

After the plate, I drilled some holes for the plug welds and went at it. Grown down the welds and the DS was just about done. I then installed the package tray reinforcement and the trunk hinge I had removed.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:50 AM

Welcome! Keep the updates coming. Looks like a nice car!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:37 PM

Thanks, glad to be here. I wish it was as nice of a car as I assumed was at the time of purchase but we will get to that later.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:45 PM

I jumped the gun a little with reinstalling the package tray reinforcement and new bracket prior to sticking my rear wiring harness behind it. No big deal though, it works and is hidden. I can always disconnect the wiring and move it around later.

After the DS tub I moved to the PS and it was a piece of cake, it was done in less than half the time.

The only bit of rust I have discovered is where the outer wheel well was overlapping the inner at the rocker. this was just some light surface rust that cleaned up good.

Also like I mentioned before I kept the PS package tray reinforcement in place.
[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 10-01-2018, 05:52 PM

Got it test fitted and frame welded back up and the tubs welded in.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by jasonz28camaro; 10-04-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:59 PM

Now that everything is now welded in (missed two area on the DS side) I started to seal it all up. I used an Eastwood one part sealer. It works but took a long time to dry, a little longer than I wanted prior to me being able to paint. It says you can paint while it's curing but I waited. Next time I'll use a two part that cures a little quicker.

I dont have any photos but after this I ground down all the welds, primmed and painted flat black and used Rustoleum undercoating spray for the inner fenders.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by jasonz28camaro; 10-04-2018 at 06:06 PM.