Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 11-28-2009, 03:53 PM

Question Please help... Engine decision?

I am building a cruiser 70' Chevelle, need help getting some direction on what to start looking for as a power plant for my car. One thing I am pretty sure I want to see under the hood is a big block but nothing is set in stone and looking for help setting a direction.

How do people go about figuring out what to use and how to set there buying budgets for it?

Is there a popular engine combo I should be really taking a look at?

And I know it all comes down to money....I don't even know yet where I need to be on this and that is why I am lost. I would be OK with spending money but of course i just want the most for my money.

Thanks in advanced guys!!

YouTube & Chevelle pics - Instagram @nick.v70 & @ChevelleFactory
Old 11-28-2009, 03:56 PM

Are you building the motor yourself? You lookin for a crate motor with a warranty?

I'd say a 496 is a nice budget friendly big block that can easily put out a streetable 600-650hp on pump gas.

For some extra thunder (and $) just go for a 540 or 572 and really make that thing scoot.

And budgets are key as you probably know, but you probably also know they are usually blown up about half way thru the build!

Do you have a power goal in mind?
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 11-28-2009, 04:06 PM

You looking for a carbed or EFI motor? All iron or aluminum top end? Pretty set on a BBC? Any chance you would want a supercharger in the future? Not interested in a 500ish hp LS motor? Wanting to keep it more origional looking?

These questions/answers will help narrow it down.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:07 PM

I have built a few small blocks back in my younger days but nothing to talk about than normal stocker set ups. Never even found out what hp we kicked out from them. All when I was around 16-19yo and little budgets. I will either find someone to build this motor or buy a crate set up.

I would like a healthy 500-600+ area (not even sure what would get me there), maybe a power plant I can start off with and add to later if I want more and have the money to support it. Yes budgets are key to everything, you can set it and try to stick to it and most of the time you will go over it but when you don't set it you end up in trouble and lots of money out for a guy like me that has no idea what I want and doesn't know alot.

They guys that have many engines under there belt are the ones that build off no budget because they know where to not waste there money

I have been thinking of the GM 502ci ? Maybe start carb and later I can add to it?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:17 PM

I would only do a 502 is you can find a good deal on one. You can basically get the same thing only cheaper with better internals if you take a good 454 block and add a forged 496 stroker rotating assembly.

600hp is no prob for this size and would be a very nice torque monster as well.
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 11-28-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awr68 View Post
You looking for a carbed or EFI motor? All iron or aluminum top end? Pretty set on a BBC? Any chance you would want a supercharger in the future? Not interested in a 500ish hp LS motor? Wanting to keep it more origional looking?

These questions/answers will help narrow it down.

Carb/EFI -
Not sure what I should do yet, all my back ground was SBC with carbs but all my more recent toys are EFI but Diesel.

Iron/Aluminum-
Have no idea?

SBC/BBC-
It's just me and want to set my goal for a BBC. I feel if I do a SBC I will always want to re-do it and drop a BBC in the car. I have just always wanted a BBC.

Chance of a supercharger in the future?-
Anything is possible. But not a idea as of right now. I am starting to see that a charger is what more people are doing than I thought at first.

Not interested in a 500ish hp LS motor?-
A LS motor could be if that's what I should really be looking at.

Wanting to keep it more original looking?-
I am looking to build a car that has many original looking areas with new school up grades that make you look twice (I guess that is called Pro-Turing look now). so I don't need the engine to look like it 100% belongs as it did off the show room floor.

awr68, I know all my answers are not perfect for suggestions but the truth of why I need help

Old 11-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
I would only do a 502 is you can find a good deal on one. You can basically get the same thing only cheaper with better internals if you take a good 454 block and add a forged 496 stroker rotating assembly.

600hp is no prob for this size and would be a very nice torque monster as well.

So the 502's are a pricy GM built crate motor? I can do better with my money?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:25 PM

I think the 502s are pricey for what you get yes, unless you can score a used one or a good deal on a new one with warranty. And if you have experience building basic small blocks yourself, you could easily build a 496 if you find a good 454 4 bolt block core. I can't do it, but sounds like you can

I like the idea of a simple carbed big block and sometimes wish I had just done a simple carbed 540 vs the EFI procharged 406 small block I have now.
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 11-28-2009, 04:53 PM

So a procharged efi engine has alot of misc set up to get her dialed in, that is what I am not looking for right now. Later after I know more maybe.

Why you are liking the 540 better? What's the pros?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor-Cal Nick View Post
So a procharged efi engine has alot of misc set up to get her dialed in, that is what I am not looking for right now. Later after I know more maybe.

Why you are liking the 540 better? What's the pros?
Well I love the setup, but it is more costly and has a lot more working parts (and therefore things can go wrong ).

I orig planned a carbed 540 but when this turnkey motor came up for sale during the start of my build at a very good price (built by a reputable enthusiast) I jumped on it. It's just been an interesting road getting it dialed in.

I would have been happy with either motor I am quite sure.

For simplicity, I would go with a simple carbed big block as you are talking about.
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer