Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Talking We all LOVE hotrodding things for better performance

There is nothing like a quick / fast / easy "bolt on" part that so far and dramatically surpasses your expectations that you are hard pressed to even believe it, right? While just a tad off topic, everybody here is, well, here because of a computer, right? Imagine finding a FANTASTIC "bolt in" mod that makes things just an absolute world apart - like a major nitrous hit that you just can't believe! You would certainly want to tell everyone you know about it!

Ok,ok... I'm talking about the new SSD (solid state drive) hard drives available for computers. I was very skeptical at first... I have been running super fast 10,000 RPM Raptor drives and thought I was happy (!) We all know what faster processors and memory upgrades can do, BUT you have just got to see for yourself what an incredible difference a SSD drive can make in your computing experience - UNREAL actually! As a computer builder / hobbyist / midnite IT type, I just had to try one of these new SSD drives.

It is really truly like going from a 283 to a 572 without any other mods - ASTOUNDING!

So for all of you that like "bolt in parts" that like a major hit for the cost and effort, I just cannot speak highly enough of the new SSD drives! Now that they have started coming down in price (still 3 times more expensive than a standard HDD), I am hooked and am replacing HDD's with SSD's on all of our machines.

If you have ever bolted a monster big block in place of a limp wristed POS powerplant, you just can't believe the difference in the first test drive - lighting the tires at a 30 roll when you could barely crank them over in a max effort brake torque before. The neat part here is that you don't have to do any other supporting mods like you would in a hot rod build (larger cooling system, beefier drivetrain...). One single mod that will astound you... Even on an older machine that technically shouldn't be able to ROCK, this still makes such a major difference that it just about brings you up to current tech PC user speeds! We have a recently purchased Gateway machine with all the latest bells and whistles - all the latest numbers and specs, Windows 8... (though still with a 6 gig per second conventional type hard drive) and the older machines that I have installed the SSD drives into SMOKE the new PC in actual user response times (which is why I am going on and on about this)(unbelievable).

Just my .02

Just do it - even the lowliest currently available SSD will still blow away even the most wicked latest HDD. Bang for the buck is SURREAL.

Paul M. Clark <-- the Ukrainian - Slava Ukraini !
Founder / Master Engineer
Hydratech Braking Systems ®
www.hydratechbraking.com

Last edited by Hydratech®; 05-22-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

My son works for Intel, and got me an SSD for Christmas last year. Wow, what a difference!!

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM

I agree guys! The last 2 machines I had built for my Engineering group both have SSD's in them with Raptor back-up drives. They have made running solidworks a dream. Unfortunately, it has spoiled me for using any other machine!

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Thumbs up Yup !!!

QUOTE: "Unfortunately, it has spoiled me for using any other machine!"

Same here - that's why I took the time to post this for our fellow members that might not know yet!

As the previous owner of Unlimited Racing in Detroit many years ago, I have spent thousands of hours working with the meanest mods for musclecars, and it just strikes me as so blissfully incredible from a bang for the buck "horsepower mod" in our everyday real world that it has prompted me to take action by standing up on the proverbial soapbox to sing this particular high tech song.

If I could get this kind of bang for the buck in terms of real world improvement with a bolt in automotive upgrade at a reasonable cost... (uh oh - I could plug our Hydratech systems here!)(SHAME ON ME - my bad... LOL)

Also, here is a link to a newly found AWESOME tool that makes cloning / data recovery on most any hard drive from a HDD into a SSD a TOTAL walk in the park:

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Drive...ords=ez+gig+iv

Paul M. Clark <-- the Ukrainian - Slava Ukraini !
Founder / Master Engineer
Hydratech Braking Systems ®
www.hydratechbraking.com
Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 AM

We can have some fun with this and open some eyes. Call it a Computer Dyno Challenge.

If you are running Windows 7, not sure if xp or 8 have it, but go to your control panel and find "Performance Information and Tools". Click on it and in the lower right corner click Re-run Assessment. It will give you a base score and some sub set scores. These scores will range from 1.0 to 7.9. Here is the print out from my machine. Call it the dyno sheet!

This will show you where you can improve to increase speed. My machine is a year and a half old so basically out of date. :huh: The last machine we built about 6 months ago scores a 7.4. It will be interesting to see others scores. Hopefully some will play along.

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works

Last edited by ccracin; 05-23-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Scored a 5.9. Mostly low 7s except for data transfer rate, that tanked it.